Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

I made some serious enemies yesterday after I was at a construction site and so many subtractors weren't wearing masks (let alone chin straps, nostrils showing, etc), despite being required to.  It wasn't even like they had them around their necks ... they weren't anywhere in sight!  I reported it to our Environmental Health & Safety office.  I got quite a few nasty texts after they figured out who did it and people saying "why don't you just wait until everyone goes home to come?".  They're missing the point ... it's not *only* about me being safe, it's about *everyone* being safe.  They'll thank me ... eventually ... maybe ... probably not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AtomicSkier said:

I made some serious enemies yesterday after I was at a construction site and so many subtractors weren't wearing masks (let alone chin straps, nostrils showing, etc), despite being required to.  It wasn't even like they had them around their necks ... they weren't anywhere in sight!  I reported it to our Environmental Health & Safety office.  I got quite a few nasty texts after they figured out who did it and people saying "why don't you just wait until everyone goes home to come?".  They're missing the point ... it's not *only* about me being safe, it's about *everyone* being safe.  They'll thank me ... eventually ... maybe ... probably not.

Dont worry, i'm not making many friends right now either.  The few job sites of ours i have been to, i havent seen too many of our guys being strict about masks.  I know this will somehow come off racist, but the guys that are good about it, werent born in this country.  A friend of mine at another company said the same exact thing.  Its hard when at least 2 of our foreman are dead set on their belief that this is all a hoax, and will be gone in November.  I have made it clear to our HR guy how i feel about the lack of mask wearing, etc, via email, as a kind of "hey i told you this......"  Most people i have to deal with regularly are good about it.  There was some interesting event that happened in the other office, that now those guys are wearing masks, where as they werent, like 3-4 weeks ago, and now the weekly meeting they have is done via conference call.  

There was also some type of exposure at the pool at my place in the poconos, which they have now since closed it, and pulled the lifeguards from the beach. Dont have the real 411 on that yet, but IMO it was just bound to happen.  

Edit - just found out the beach is now closed as well.  

Edited by JFskiDan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AtomicSkier said:

I made some serious enemies yesterday after I was at a construction site and so many subtractors weren't wearing masks (let alone chin straps, nostrils showing, etc), despite being required to.  It wasn't even like they had them around their necks ... they weren't anywhere in sight!  I reported it to our Environmental Health & Safety office.  I got quite a few nasty texts afteree they figured out who did it and people saying "why don't you just wait until everyone goes home to come?".  They're missing the point ... it's not *only* about me being safe, it's about *everyone* being safe.  They'll thank me ... eventually ... maybe ... probably not.

Who were the nasty texts from?  They’re probably the types that call masks,”muzzles”. You did the right thing..it’s people like them that are making this pandemic stretch out longer than it needs to be...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Dont worry, i'm not making many friends right now either.  The few job sites of ours i have been to, i havent seen too many of our guys being strict about masks.  I know this will somehow come off racist, but the guys that are good about it, werent born in this country.  A friend of mine at another company said the same exact thing.  Its hard when at least 2 of our foreman are dead set on their belief that this is all a hoax, and will be gone in November.  I have made it clear to our HR guy how i feel about the lack of mask wearing, etc, via email, as a kind of "hey i told you this......"  Most people i have to deal with regularly are good about it.  There was some interesting event that happened in the other office, that now those guys are wearing masks, where as they werent, like 3-4 weeks ago, and now the weekly meeting they have is done via conference call.  

There was also some type of exposure at the pool at my place in the poconos, which they have now since closed it, and pulled the lifeguards from the beach. Dont have the real 411 on that yet, but IMO it was just bound to happen.  

Edit - just found out the beach is now closed as well.  

I don’t really find that racist at all, look as how many people of Asian decent (pre Covid) wore masks during cold/flu season, sars, swine flue, etc and got nasty looks for it. Personally, I’ve noticed that in my area the Hispanic population has been more willing to comply with the mask thing, but less willing to comply with the social gathering thing, which may be a cultural thing as big gatherings are part of the Hispanic culture. 

either way, the only people I’ve seen complain about wearing masks were white. And it’s usually a fat white person bitching about having to wear a mask so they can go into Wawa to get theirs 1 liter mt dew and pack of Marlboro reds. They can’t breathe because of the mask, but they can damn sure smoke a pack of cowboy killers a day and that’s not an issue 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I find urban folks to be more avid mask wearers than suburban folks.  Covid has hit the brown and black communities disproportionately though.  I walk at a local suburban park and neighborhood and I see no masks and have been to cedar beach in Allentown a handful of times and see a good amount...have seen people running with masks on as well on empty roads.  I have this customer that insists on meeting me in cemetery tomorrow and for really no good reason just for an inscription...office manager told me I should wear a face shield just to show how stupid it is to meet people during a pandemic. 

On 8/5/2020 at 10:49 AM, theprogram4 said:

@Zonked unionville chadds Ford is doing in person classes next month after 82% of parents who returned the polls wanted the kids back in school

Oh really? Had no idea - I'm so out of the loop on school/education information. I'm sure in class will shut down pretty quickly. IEveryone in UCFSD has means to do virtual learning. Many of the kids probably have the nicest laptop on the market.

I think the governor can recommend things about school but it's ultimately up to the individual school districts, which makes sense to me. A high school in Elk County can probably go back just like normal, whereas one in Philly cannot. 

• Like 2