Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

No...skiing is a winter sport like basketball and it’s his recommendation not a requirement as Schifdawg said. 

I'd be shocked if schools are offering ski club this year. Sucks for the ski resorts. I encourage everyone to buy waffles at the Waffle Haus, get your gear tuned at Blue or perhaps buy chicken fings or a burger in the lodge if you can to support the true mountain this season.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Schif said:

I think the governor can recommend things about school but it's ultimately up to the individual school districts, which makes sense to me. A high school in Elk County can probably go back just like normal, whereas one in Philly cannot. 

It is sort of insane that restaurants in Elk county can only operate at 25%.  Here even if they were operating at 100% I don’t see many more people dining in them at this time. 

5 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I'd be shocked if schools are offering ski club this year. Sucks for the ski resorts. I encourage everyone to buy waffles at the Waffle Haus, get your gear tuned at Blue or perhaps buy chicken fings or a burger in the lodge if you can to support the true mountain this season.

Are schools doing bussing this year still?  I heard to properly social distance on a bus they can only have 1/3 as many kids.  I’ll be using the ski shop at Blue since Buckmans sucks..maybe I’ll buy some extra gift cards to help..can always be used.  I had like $28 left on one last season I gave to Enjorales..I wonder if that former employee is still selling gift cards.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It is sort of insane that restaurants in Elk county can only operate at 25%.  Here even if they were operating at 100% I don’t see many more people dining in them at this time. 

This right here is why the concept of a one size fits all approach to this is not a grate idea. 

Also, the real losers at Penn State from no fans at football games are all of the other student athletes. Football supports every other sport at the school. It will be so weird for the players in college football to play in empty stadiums. The cavernous expanses of Beaver Stadium, Michigan Stadium and Ohio Stadium will be almost creepy without fans filling them up. 

• Like 1

Are schools doing bussing this year still?  I heard to properly social distance on a bus they can only have 1/3 as many kids.  I’ll be using the ski shop at Blue since Buckmans sucks..maybe I’ll buy some extra gift cards to help..can always be used.  I had like $28 left on one last season I gave to Enjorales..I wonder if that former employee is still selling gift cards.  

Supposedly they are bussing with very little changes there based on the last update from the school. I believe my district is banking on a ton of kids taking the online option so they can keep kids separate as much as possible on busses and limit classrooms to 16 per like they want...they can't do that unless a good percentage of people opt for online.

34 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

While I support restrictions in other aspects of life, just open blue with as few restrictions as legally possible and say fuck it.  We can all risk it if it means riding blue like a normal season.  Snowboarding/skiing is more important 

Skiing is not that risky compared to like hanging out in a bar..it’s outdoors..full six packs of strangers will be a little much although people are that tightly packed on airplanes.  I’ll wear a mask in liftlines and on lifts no worries and on the ski run pull it down...I’ll buy like a 40 pack of lunchbox sized chips..BenM can bring the cream pies. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Supposedly they are bussing with very little changes there based on the last update from the school. I believe my district is banking on a ton of kids taking the online option so they can keep kids separate as much as possible on busses and limit classrooms to 16 per like they want...they can't do that unless a good percentage of people opt for online.

My friends kid goes to catholic school which costs like $6k a year.  I was thinking attendance would be down due to some parents being out of work but it’s quite the opposite, they have record enrollment and increases all the class sizes by two kids..I guess some parents who’s only option is hybrid or virtual decided to send their kids there. The catholic school needs the extra revenue for all the technology upgrades. 

16 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

My friends kid goes to catholic school which costs like $6k a year.  I was thinking attendance would be down due to some parents being out of work but it’s quite the opposite, they have record enrollment and increases all the class sizes by two kids..I guess some parents who’s only option is hybrid or virtual decided to send their kids there. The catholic school needs the extra revenue for all the technology upgrades. 

Someone posted on a community page around here that cyber schools are now waitlisted or something. Not entirely sure how that all works. 

16 minutes ago, Benm said:

Someone posted on a community page around here that cyber schools are now waitlisted or something. Not entirely sure how that all works. 

Tuition for charter schools and cyber school comes from the school districts so two things are happening..the cyber schools can’t handle the additional enrollment and the school districts are spending way more on cyber school tuition. 

https://www.wfmz.com/news/state/pennsylvania-school-districts-unprepared-for-soaring-cyber-charter-enrollment/article_8703e091-1377-51e8-acb4-f9de05207bd7.html

46 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Acchs? We do the windows.

42 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

$6k a year for private school is absurdly cheap. I assume this is in allentown? Schools in philly are easily $20k+

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Tuition for charter schools and cyber school comes from the school districts so two things are happening..the cyber schools can’t handle the additional enrollment and the school districts are spending way more on cyber school tuition. 

https://www.wfmz.com/news/state/pennsylvania-school-districts-unprepared-for-soaring-cyber-charter-enrollment/article_8703e091-1377-51e8-acb4-f9de05207bd7.html

This situation is going to absolutely screw over public schools and create an even bigger education-income divide. Personally I think charter schools are hardly ever the right answer at the macro level, and I don't know how the hybrid or fully online schedule is going to work for the majority of the population. A friend of mine is a special ed teacher in the philly school district. He has no clue how he is going to do his job solely online, because so much of what he does is near impossible to replicate on a Zoom call.

9 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

$6k a year for private school is absurdly cheap. I assume this is in allentown? Schools in philly are easily $20k+

Yeah Allentown. I’m guessing the Philly diocesan Catholic schools are not $20k+. Swain school and Moravian academy are way over $20k a year.  I have a friend with three kids at Swain school.   My mom went to the Baldwin school in Philly...Tuition there is $37,000 and I believe that’s for day students. 

Also another friend works for one of the intermediate units..special ed teacher and has been online since March and she works part time in the summer as well.  She said it’s really hard for the special Ed parents and students but those kids are especially germy..no social distancing...they bite and spit.. sort of like @saltyant on a first date lol

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yeah Allentown. I’m guessing the Philly diocesan Catholic schools are not $20k+. Swain school and Moravian academy are way over $20k a year.  I have a friend with three kids at Swain school.   My mom went to the Baldwin school in Philly...Tuition there is $37,000 and I believe that’s for day students. 

yeah you're right, catholic is probably cheaper. but then you have to deal with all the catholic things...

On 8/5/2020 at 11:18 AM, AtomicSkier said:

I made some serious enemies yesterday after I was at a construction site and so many subtractors weren't wearing masks (let alone chin straps, nostrils showing, etc), despite being required to.  It wasn't even like they had them around their necks ... they weren't anywhere in sight!  I reported it to our Environmental Health & Safety office.  I got quite a few nasty texts after they figured out who did it and people saying "why don't you just wait until everyone goes home to come?".  They're missing the point ... it's not *only* about me being safe, it's about *everyone* being safe.  They'll thank me ... eventually ... maybe ... probably not.

You’re such a bitch. I hope one of those guys kicks your ass but you’d probably run to Mommy and daddy to sue them. If you lived in the Soviet Union you’d be proud to snitch on your neighbors. You are a tyrant and unAmerican.

Edited by VTmark
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, VTmark said:

You’re such a bitch. I hope one of those guys kicks your ass but you’d probably run to Mommy and daddy to sue them. If you lived in the Soviet Union you’d be proud to snitch on your neighbors. You are a tyrant and unAmerican.

VTMark have you been to any of the black lives matters protests??

3 minutes ago, VTmark said:

Not taking Covid-19 seriously and spreading it is unamerican.  True patriots wear masks and practice social distancing.