Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

We’ve been doing everything virtually at work, no field estimators at all (unless absolutely necessary) And I’ve been working with the shop in complained and complained and complained that we wouldn’t send someone out. Write the estimate on the car, send it to the shop, waiting for a call back for 3 weeks from this guy on any supplemental items and finally get it today. 

an estimator with another company came in to write a car and unknowingly had Covid and it somehow spread like wildfire throughout the shop, they had to shut down for two weeks. 

32 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We’ve been doing everything virtually at work, no field estimators at all (unless absolutely necessary) And I’ve been working with the shop in complained and complained and complained that we wouldn’t send someone out. Write the estimate on the car, send it to the shop, waiting for a call back for 3 weeks from this guy on any supplemental items and finally get it today. 

an estimator with another company came in to write a car and unknowingly had Covid and it somehow spread like wildfire throughout the shop, they had to shut down for two weeks. 

I’ve had three in person appointments all summer..all masked and outside.  When we went to yellow people were the most pushy about coming in and now they don’t even want to.  If they don’t know what they want I mail or email them info and then when they’re ready to buy I mail them a contract. Has really freed up a lot of time.  

15 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’ve had three in person appointments all summer..all masked and outside.  When we went to yellow people were the most pushy about coming in and now they don’t even want to.  If they don’t know what they want I mail or email them info and then when they’re ready to buy I mail them a contract. Has really freed up a lot of time.  

Do you foresee yourself continuing to do more business by mail/email instead of in person? I'm really interested to see how the dynamics of the traditional office job change after things go back to "normal". My work has already gotten much more flexible with hours, and it's not really expected that we're locked to our desks 9-5 at all anymore, with people having to help homeschool kids, take care of babies, etc. We've proven that we still keep to project deadlines and get stuff done, so I think it'll be pretty hard for a lot of people to want to give up the flexibility we have now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Justo8484 said:

Do you foresee yourself continuing to do more business by mail/email instead of in person? I'm really interested to see how the dynamics of the traditional office job change after things go back to "normal". My work has already gotten much more flexible with hours, and it's not really expected that we're locked to our desks 9-5 at all anymore, with people having to help homeschool kids, take care of babies, etc. We've proven that we still keep to project deadlines and get stuff done, so I think it'll be pretty hard for a lot of people to want to give up the flexibility we have now.

Well under 20% of our business is walk in business...the rest are orders dealers of ours write up mainly in the Philly area and NJ.  I’ve always sold many memorial stones and most inscription orders over the phone mainly to out of state customers.  As a sales person with a decent personality it’s easier for me to sell in person.  I’ve actually had weekend and evening phone appointments from the hotel house..easier than coming into the office.  In post Covid times I anticipate probably a higher percentage of phone and online orders.  

My office manager has been working from home since late March.  She comes in about twice a week to drop things off for me to do(checks to write, purchase orders and proofs to send out) and I leave things for her to do in her bin.  It’s worked out really well as she’s a morning person.  She usually handles the phones until about 11am and I take over from there.  If I wanna get solid uninterrupted work in, i screen phone calls and return messages every few hours.  Delivery guy has been making normal deliveries and barely needs my assistance.  

My main goal all along has been to provide a top level of customer and dealer support and service and that has more than been met.  I’ve had a few people who questioned why we are so careful about in person appointments. I’ve explained that the majority of my customers are elderly and are bad at social distancing and mask wearing.  Plus I’d feel terrible if I was asymptomatic and gave corona to a customer.  I use the example of a family of five coming up from Florida who wanted an appointment in my office and an old man early in pandemic who kept licking his fingers in my office to grab cemetery forms. 

When this pandemic is over, will likely be a hybrid version of the old way and the new way. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

37 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

When this pandemic is over, will likely be a hybrid version of the old way and the new way. 

sounds like you've got things pretty well figured out and running smoothly. it also sounds like your office manager handling the phones until 11 and then you taking over would work pretty nicely for lots of weekday AM blue mtn sessions.

• Like 2

Earlier I had my second post lockdown haircut but first time back with my regular hairdresser.  She said the week before they shutdown half of her appointments cancelled.  She collected for a few weeks and then got a job at Weis markets.  She needed to be around people and productive.  She still works at Weis three days a week and she hates masks. There was a $3.75 Covid cleaning fee but I only got charged for children’s haircut which she’s done a few times before in the past.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Restaurants can go to 50% capacity starting on the 21st. 

The story on 6abc has a video of people sitting at a bar in a restaurant, I thought it was table service only? I must’ve missed the memo. 

also, any establishment serving alcohol has to stop by 10pm.  

Edited by Kyle
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Restaurants can go to 50% capacity starting on the 21st. 

The story on 6abc has a video of people sitting at a bar in a restaurant, I thought it was table service only? I must’ve missed the memo. 

also, any establishment serving alcohol has to stop by 10pm.  

Depends on the bar..during the last few weeks local bars have become more and more lax about requiring food purchases, mask use amoung staff and allowing people to order drinks at the bar or sit at the bar.  

Is the 10pm cutoff just for restaurants or for bars as well. In the west end of allentown only two bars have been consistently open until 2am..Greg’s and liberty tavern while normally most bars stay open until 2am. 

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Lololololol

but riots and looting are ok

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Aren't you for bringing the man down? 

Riots and looting have a purpose.

I support peace and prosperity, not attacking people’s livelihoods who are simply trying to feed their families.  

don’t forget that the rioting, protesting, and looting in densely populated cities is the reason the virus spread and continues to spread, Not a motorcycle rally in the middle of  bumblefuck nowhere 

Edited by theprogram4