Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Cities are hell. With virtual working so common now, and no social events allowed indefinitely, seems like there's zero benefit to living in a city.

The people here defending cities live as far away from them (and their diverse populations) as possible lol

Edited by theprogram4

13 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Y’all are proving my point.  I posted a perfect example/fact/data/data point/tangent/plural/ancedote/whatever  you want to call it, and instead of rational debate, y’all hit me with a bunch of statistician mumbo jumbo.  A person literally said they were moving because of violence, but because said person had less of an education than y’all, her point was considered irrelevant.  I was also told Facebook isn’t real, which is ironically what I was told when I called out the racist things said in the beltzville group

(this isn’t directed at schif, as he, myself, Ben, Kyle, and ridge racer seem to be the only people thinking with logic, instead of with political motives

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

You've made the claim, yet you can only back it up with Facebook posts.  The onus is on you to prove your claim, not for me to disprove it.  

4 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Y’all are proving my point.  I posted a perfect example/fact/data/data point/tangent/plural/ancedote/whatever  you want to call it, and instead of rational debate, y’all hit me with a bunch of statistician mumbo jumbo.  A person literally said they were moving because of violence, but because said person had less of an education than y’all, her point was considered irrelevant.  I was also told Facebook isn’t real, which is ironically what I was told when I called out the racist things said in the beltzville group

(this isn’t directed at schif, as he, myself, Ben, Kyle, and ridge racer seem to be the only people thinking with logic, instead of with political motives

You have a point and I have not reason to disbelieve that this person you're mentioning and some others are leaving the city due to violence/looting/rioting etc. Other than a few stores being boarded up (including the Acme and Wawa which were annoying) and the group that stands on Lincoln Drive during rush hour with their black lives matters signs I can say ***Anecdotally** that most of the unrest, etc. has not affected me that much. My opinion of this might be quite different had I been living in the center city area when these protests are happening. 

All I'm really saying is that there isn't a granular level of detail recorded when people are moving out of cities. There are scores of reasons to leave the major cities right now and I've said for years one of the silliest things we as humans have done is decide that we need to live so incredibly densely packed together, it's not natural and causes more headaches than it's really worth. That being said people are indeed leaving cities, myself included, and all we really have in terms of data on it is where they move from and where they move to. I'm assuming most of this comes from the Post Office records when you file for a change of address with them. 

The answer is that yes, everyone is right. People are leaving to avoid violence, people are leaving because Covid caused them to not be able to afford it, people are leaving because there are too many restrictions on them now, they are leaving because cities are not nearly as fun now as they used to be, they are leaving because their newly remote job allows them to go anywhere they please. Oddly enough I don't fall into any of these categories! 

Statistician mumbo jumbo sucks, but that's how you draw meaningful conclusions from big things. The worst part of all of this is that due to the lack of distinct data, you can bend the numbers to prove your own point. In a world where computers and smartphones make it insanely easy to obtain information one of the most powerful things you can do is admit to yourself that you just don't have an answer. 

15 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

So does that make you one of the people who will come in and destroy the suburbs and the American dream or just fleeing the violence? It is so hard to keep track of.

Depends on what hat I'm wearing that day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

You've made the claim, yet you can only back it up with Facebook posts.  The onus is on you to prove your claim, not for me to disprove it.  

Spare me your statistician mumbo jumbo, I don’t have a degree in mathematics, statistics, or engineering.  This is for the working class, the people who bring their lunch pail to work everyday 

Just now, Schif said:

You have a point and I have not reason to disbelieve that this person you're mentioning and some others are leaving the city due to violence/looting/rioting etc. Other than a few stores being boarded up (including the Acme and Wawa which were annoying) and the group that stands on Lincoln Drive during rush hour with their black lives matters signs I can say ***Anecdotally** that most of the unrest, etc. has not affected me that much. My opinion of this might be quite different had I been living in the center city area when these protests are happening. 

All I'm really saying is that there isn't a granular level of detail recorded when people are moving out of cities. There are scores of reasons to leave the major cities right now and I've said for years one of the silliest things we as humans have done is decide that we need to live so incredibly densely packed together, it's not natural and causes more headaches than it's really worth. That being said people are indeed leaving cities, myself included, and all we really have in terms of data on it is where they move from and where they move to. I'm assuming most of this comes from the Post Office records when you file for a change of address with them. 

The answer is that yes, everyone is right. People are leaving to avoid violence, people are leaving because Covid caused them to not be able to afford it, people are leaving because there are too many restrictions on them now, they are leaving because cities are not nearly as fun now as they used to be, they are leaving because their newly remote job allows them to go anywhere they please. Oddly enough I don't fall into any of these categories! 

Statistician mumbo jumbo sucks, but that's how you draw meaningful conclusions from big things. The worst part of all of this is that due to the lack of distinct data, you can bend the numbers to prove your own point. In a world where computers and smartphones make it insanely easy to obtain information one of the most powerful things you can do is admit to yourself that you just don't have an answer. 

Depends on what hat I'm wearing that day. 

See, I appreciate your thoughts on this because you are being open minded to different view points.  People def move for a whole bunch of reasons. My problem is numerous people in real estate have told me they are busy as shit right now as people flee cities (for numerous reasons) .  When I pointed this out, a few certain wealthy people with advanced degrees said I was lying

Just now, theprogram4 said:

Spare me your statistician mumbo jumbo, I don’t have a degree in mathematics, statistics, or engineering.  This is for the working class, the people who bring their lunch pail to work everyday 

I give you credit, your "man of the people" act is pretty good.  Do you hide your Fordham diploma when people come over so you look more core?  How do you explain your father-funded trips to Jackson Hole?

You come from a wealthy upper class white family from the Philly suburbs.  Drop the act.

3 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

See, I appreciate your thoughts on this because you are being open minded to different view points.  People def move for a whole bunch of reasons. My problem is numerous people in real estate have told me they are busy as shit right now as people flee cities (for numerous reasons) .  When I pointed this out, a few certain wealthy people with advanced degrees said I was lying

Nobody is saying people aren't leaving the cities.  But the *data* shows they're leaving because they can work remotely in the spacious, lower cost of living suburbs.

8 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

This is for the working class, the people who bring their lunch pail to work everyday 

I have a little lunch box that kind of looks like a pail. Though sometimes I just throw the leftovers in a grocery bag and tie it up and toss it in the fridge if the pyrex bowl thing is too big for my lunch pail. 

13 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

I give you credit, your "man of the people" act is pretty good.  Do you hide your Fordham diploma when people come over so you look more core?  How do you explain your father-funded trips to Jackson Hole?

You come from a wealthy upper class white family from the Philly suburbs.  Drop the act.

No act here, unlike you, I care about all races and income levels.  Keep in mind, you said people who get businesses handed to them from their families work harder than Mexican landscapers, which is bullshit and racist.  Also, your man told me point blank to my face that mommy and daddy bought you that motorcycle.  Unlike you, everything I have in life other than one family trip (how dare I spend time with the people who raised me?) is paid for by me.  

You paid for that lake house huh?  (My family only has 1 home)

Edit: sucks this had to turn into personal attacks BTW.  Didn’t want it to come to this.  However, as John Rambo once said “They drew first blood, sir.”

Edited by theprogram4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AtomicSkier said:

Nobody is saying people aren't leaving the cities.  But the *data* shows they're leaving because they can work remotely in the spacious, lower cost of living suburbs.

Where are you finding this data? Not trying to be a smart ass btw, I'm legitimately curious as to data sources and I bet your answer won't make me search through an infuriating folder for a premade SQL query because our systems are too annoying for me to write one from scratch. 

11 minutes ago, saltyant said:

20200909_122749.jpg.47d4a2b9fd5b5440115eed51e3de495b.jpg

Growing up, therapists told me I need to learn to stick up for myself and not let people walk all over me.  I assumed they were talking about bullies, not someone I like and see every winter weekend smh

a damn shame a debate turned into personal attacks

dont forget the free medical attention I gave that person when they were injured

Edited by theprogram4

56 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Honestly, I don’t know enough about the issues being discussed so I just chose to keep quiet on the whole thing. 

18 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

So that lady was lying?

I think they are just trying to look at things in the aggregate. 

Example: The Toyota corolla is a wildly popular car and lots of people are buying them. "Yeah but my two friends just bought Tahoes and my aunt just got a Tesla."

No one is denying that these 3 bought Chevys and Teslas but as a whole Toyotas are more popular. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Schif said:

I think they are just trying to look at things in the aggregate. 

Example: The Toyota corolla is a wildly popular car and lots of people are buying them. "Yeah but my two friends just bought Tahoes and my aunt just got a Tesla."

No one is denying that these 3 bought Chevys and Teslas but as a whole Toyotas are more popular. 

Understandable.  I appreciate your willingness to have a mature debate, as opposed to sinking to personal attacks.  It pains me the debate spiraled into that

1 minute ago, theprogram4 said:

Understandable.  I appreciate your willingness to have a mature debate, as opposed to sinking to personal attacks.  It pains me the debate spiraled into that

You're ugly, stupid and can't ski very well. 

Better? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Schif said:

There are scores of reasons to leave the major cities right now and I've said for years one of the silliest things we as humans have done is decide that we need to live so incredibly densely packed together, it's not natural and causes more headaches than it's really worth.

I will never personally figure out why people want to live in cities for this reason.  My Aunt lives in New York.  Cant remember the last time i went there to see her.  Hate it.  cant park the car where she lives......all the obstacles like carrying groceries or packages from where you park to where you live.  No thanks.  I get it, some think its awesome, its just not for me.  

I will tell you that real estate in the Poconos is moving like Hot Cakes at Toasts house on a Sunday Morning.  Moving way faster and for more money than ever before.  Why?  Everyone can draw their own conclusion, but you touched on the reason.   

• Like 1