Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

25 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Let Dr. Levine explain it for you.

So why was bluetooth a dealbreaker for you?  Does the app and Bluetooth drain your battery faster.  I was also thinking who are you going to be within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes with that has Covid?  I have still been conducting my appointments with customers outside with everybody masked. It’s near impossible to stay more than six feet apart or more when writing up orders unless it’s done over the phone.  I was showing one customer tombstones the other day and noticed he was standing right fucking next to me.  

So why was bluetooth a dealbreaker for you?  Does the app and Bluetooth drain your battery faster.  I was also thinking who are you going to be within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes with that has Covid?  I have still been conducting my appointments with customers outside with everybody masked. It’s near impossible to stay more than six feet apart or more when writing up orders unless it’s done over the phone.  I was showing one customer tombstones the other day and noticed he was standing right fucking next to me.  

It wasn't necessarily the Bluetooth part of it...more so the fact that I'm sharing my shit with people. Despite the fact that they say it's anonymous. Not to mention if I get an alert telling me that I've been close to people that have tested positive my OCD would probably kick into overdrive.

It's probably very informative...just freaked me out. I know there's been a lot of talk about these apps.

I'm seeing an issue right off the bat. Bluetooth has a surprisingly long range sometimes. People stuck in traffic will ping off of each other when they are all in their own vehicles. 

I just read the FAQ page on the PA covid app website and yes, if you get a positive test you need to enter it into the app yourself. 

The app then looks back at the last 14 days of pings it has saved and sends a notification everyone who you were in bluetooth proximity to. 

Big picture, possible privacy concern long term, but sounds like a pretty good plan to help at this point. 

8 minutes ago, Schif said:

I'm seeing an issue right off the bat. Bluetooth has a surprisingly long range sometimes. People stuck in traffic will ping off of each other when they are all in their own vehicles. 

I just read the FAQ page on the PA covid app website and yes, if you get a positive test you need to enter it into the app yourself. 

The app then looks back at the last 14 days of pings it has saved and sends a notification everyone who you were in bluetooth proximity to. 

Big picture, possible privacy concern long term, but sounds like a pretty good plan to help at this point. 

It only pings people who have the app.  Hypothetically I downloaded the app two weeks ago and then today I received a positive Covid test..so I input that I’m positive.  In the last two weeks let’s say I’ve been within six feet of 50 people in stores for short durations like a few seconds in stores...longer durations for things like haircuts, meeting friends for dinner and drinks or something like a doctors visit...let’s just say all those contacts total 75 people.  Of those I’m guessing only a few have the app so those few people will get a ping....get freaked out..possibly self quarentine and get tested.  Now would the contacts of the contacts be notified.  I’m just putting off doing work on a contact tracing rabbit hole as I’ve looked at some articles this morning on the subject as well.  If any of y’all get the Covids this ski season...I’ll just use the shaggy defense,”it wasn’t me”...

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

There are still people driving around by themselves with their masks on.  There are people who go to the bar and keep their mask around their chin when eating or drinking.  There are people who stand less than an arms length behind me in line at a store when there’s only five people in the store.  There are people who don’t understand why I’m being so cautious at work when most aren’t being cautious.  There are people who think Covid will go away after the election.  There are people with way to much time in their hands taking online certificate programs on how to work from home.  There are senior citizens who are on Zoom.  

25 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It only pings people who have the app.  Hypothetically I downloaded the app two weeks ago and then today I received a positive Covid test..so I input that I’m positive.  In the last two weeks let’s say I’ve been within six feet of 50 people in stores for short durations like a few seconds in stores...longer durations for things like haircuts, meeting friends for dinner and drinks or something like a doctors visit...let’s just say all those contacts total 75 people.  Of those I’m guessing only a few have the app so those few people will get a ping....get freaked out..possibly self quarentine and get tested.  Now would the contacts of the contacts be notified.  I’m just putting off doing work on a contact tracing rabbit hole as I’ve looked at some articles this morning on the subject as well.  If any of y’all get the Covids this ski season...I’ll just use the shaggy defense,”it wasn’t me”...

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Obviously the app isn't gonna be perfect, and sure there are scenarios where not everyone is going to get notified (kind of obvious if they don't actually have the app) and some people might be erroneously notified even if they were within ~6 feet of you for only 2 seconds, but if it keeps a few more people from getting sick and dying, it seems worth it to me, no?

12 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Obviously the app isn't gonna be perfect, and sure there are scenarios where not everyone is going to get notified (kind of obvious if they don't actually have the app) and some people might be erroneously notified even if they were within ~6 feet of you for only 2 seconds, but if it keeps a few more people from getting sick and dying, it seems worth it to me, no?

As long as it’s anonymous. 

5 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Speaking of nasal swabs. I was 100% certain I was getting sick the other day. Felt the sore throat and all that...so i tossed a little zycam on and woke up feeling like a million bucks. Zycam is pure magic.

You will have a new appreciation for whats uncomfortable if you get tested for Covid.  Its not something you want to do regularly, or even twice for that matter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

You will have a new appreciation for whats uncomfortable if you get tested for Covid.  Its not something you want to do regularly, or even twice for that matter.  

I was checking out Maine and saw they require getting the thing shoved up my nose to be granted permission to enter their domain. Nope, I'm not that interested in going to Maine afterall.

Edited by saltyant

My daughter got tested before leaving for Arizona (school required). They lost her results so she had to go back and do it a second time 2 days later...both times the nasal probe version. She did get a random, required by the school 3rd test on campus but they did the spit in a tube version there.

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Good for Florida. 

edit: also aware I’ll probably get dragged for that comment. 

Florida has been back and forth between #1 or #2 states in daily deaths for quite some time. Top 5 for daily cases. #3 in total cases. #5 in total deaths. It is fucking stupid and more people will die because of it.