Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

3 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

What makes it a weird argument also, is that its a leisure activity.  One might be more likely to side with the cautious people at the grocery store or somewhere that you can't avoid going to sustain your well-being, but balk at the idea of cautious people asking for accomodation when they are doing a leisure activity by choice.  On the other side of the coin though, is that everyone is out there doing a leisure activity and we can all just slow down a bit and be grateful that we get to do it this year.  

This is a good point.  Wouldn’t it make sense for the cautious people to have to make sacrifices, not the people living life normally?

One can also look at an actuarial table and realize that the act of skiing is in and of itself a risk, one which likely poses greater chance of personal harm than the virus does. The virus only adds in a small additional layer of risk on top of an already risky endeavor, which you have consciously and of free will decided to partake in. 

A cautious person would therefore have to concede that they are worried about one risk but not another by looking for a Covid accommodation on a mountain. 

To bring it full circle, you can argue that the act of skiing has a built in risk aversion system in the way that you ski, the speed you ski, and the trails and conditions you choose to ski on. Therefore the amount of risk inside of the risk bubble that is skiing is up to you personally. When it comes to Covid then the same can apply and those who choose to ride the lift with others are free to do so while those who are mitigating the risk across the board are free to do so at their own pace as well. 

Edited by Schif
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Schif said:

One can also look at an actuarial table and realize that the act of skiing is in and of itself a risk, one which likely poses greater chance of personal harm than the virus does. The virus only adds in a small additional layer of risk on top of an already risky endeavor, which you have consciously and of free will decided to partake in. 

A cautious person would therefore have to concede that they are worried about one risk but not another by looking for a Covid accommodation. 

Good point.  Also, I would guess we are more likely to die driving to blue than to die from Covid

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Good point.  Also, I would guess we are more likely to die driving to blue than to die from Covid

I mean if you look at the charts I just posted, you can guess that someone our age is more likely to die doing almost anything else besides die from Covid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

This is a good point.  Wouldn’t it make sense for the cautious people to have to make sacrifices, not the people living life normally?

That's pretty much what I'm saying.  They shouldn't have to make sacrifices to live a reasonably safe and normal life, but why should we ruin skiing to accommodate the cautious?  Then I sound like a dick saying that so I'll just be grateful for my leisure time.  

the cautious have been accommodated for almost half a year now. if you're at risk, stay home. if you're not so much at risk, do whatever you want but try to keep safeguards in mind and practice them if possible. 

i don't know when trying to flatten the curve turned into whatever it is now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Benm said:

the cautious have been accommodated for almost half a year now. if you're at risk, stay home. if you're not so much at risk, do whatever you want but try to keep safeguards in mind and practice them if possible. 

i don't know when trying to flatten the curve turned into whatever it is now. 

I wish people cared this much about traffic fatalities, which are approximately 36,000 annually in the US.

Edited by saltyant

It doesn't matter who does what or who starts it. You got one group not being cautious and getting on the lift willy nilly then you got a group of 3 or 2 or a single who is cautious. Either way it messes up the lift line and people need to wait. Get mad at the people being cautious? I wonder how many trump flags well see even after the election 

1 hour ago, Shadows said:

It doesn't matter who does what or who starts it. You got one group not being cautious and getting on the lift willy nilly then you got a group of 3 or 2 or a single who is cautious. Either way it messes up the lift line and people need to wait. Get mad at the people being cautious? I wonder how many trump flags well see even after the election 

What does that have to do with anything? 

1 hour ago, Shadows said:

That's the topic currently being discussed Kyle. Being safe vs not on the ski slopes.

What do trump flags after the election have to do with people being cautious or not cautious at a ski resort? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Its completely safe to stereotype now; trump supporters are the ones who aren't cautious. Keep up kyle.

Were the rioters/protesters/looters being cautious as they ransacked stores without masks or social distancing for 4 months straight?  That didn’t seem too cautious...

Were the rioters/protesters/looters being cautious as they ransacked stores without masks or social distancing for 4 months straight?  That didn’t seem too cautious...

I wonder if the Michigan nut cases were wearing masks when they were planning to kidnap the Governor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, tarponhead said:

I wonder if the Michigan nut cases were wearing masks when they were planning to kidnap the Governor. ( you post bs troll posts and so I can too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you just compare a handful of nut jobs to tens (possibly hundreds)of thousands rioting for 4 months straight?  A shame we were having a respectful debate about blue’s policies and now politics comes up smh