Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

There are so many people saying this and I honestly don't understand it other than the fact it seems to be the fashionable thing to say. What did they do wrong? What could they have done differently? As far as I know in the enumerated powers of the Constitution there is nothing that says that if there is a worldwide pandemic the president is the one with the legal power to do something about it. 
The CDC makes recommendations (not binding rules or laws) and the individual States are the ones who need to do something about it. I mean you can blame the Constitution or the fact that we occupy the majority of an entire continent under one flag for a disjointed approach but without an amendment to the Constitution it falls on the States and they all did things differently based on their individual needs or tolerance to risk. 

Covid was always gonna be bad. But it did not have to be THIS bad. (apologies in advance to JLaw because my “wall of text” is not worthy…)

Testing – instead of a cohesive national plan of the federal government coordinating the distribution of test kits to be available for heavily hit areas and oversee a national testing infrastructure and develop a national surveillance system, trump basically refused to implement because he understood that more testing would lead to more confirmed cases. While we have come around on testing the most useful metric is tests available per infected person where we suck. We trail such enlightened countries such as Kazakhstan (Kazakhstan!!!!) and Ethiopia.

PPE – right from the beginning the feds were slow to focus on accumulating PPE. Despite multiple administration officials calling for a massive investment in protective equipment in February and despite the federal government having the legal power to spur manufacturers to crank out masks, gowns and face shields, it didn’t happen. But hey – we got garbage bags, right? Remember when the white house implemented policies where the states were bidding against each other to obtain PPE? Brilliant!!! Free-market forces will cure all (see above gripe about coherent national policy).

Leadership – This is the big Kahuna right here. What could have been a central message to establish a “we are all in this together” mentality, trump decided to turn into a Seussian star-bellied vs plain-bellied sneetch thing to play to his base. Yeah, maybe masks work (but they might get you sick, ami right?) Republican states know what they are doing – don’t listen to democratic states…Science if it makes the numbers look bad or tries to warn folks is ignored or worse – the proponents are fired from the fed (google what happened to Messonnier or Bright if you need examples). So basically the messaging is more important than science. Cross trump and you go. Trump knew this was gonna be REAL BAD back in februaru but refused to warn the nation how dire things will become (It will all go away by easter) because he knew it would blow his election chances up.

So lets play a game where we adjust the death rate from covid to be proportional to the population. Europe is bad now as are other areas around the globe, but it should not be this bad. If adjusted to Europe US death toll is 84k in excess. If adjusted to Canada it is >100k in excess. If adjusted to Germany it is >150k in excess. And so on. I’ll let that sink in.

Ok, to paraphrase the NEJM, trump has taken a crisis and turned it into a tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Benm said:

looks like a new single day high record. starting to seriously wonder whether the season will be affected. blue being in carbon and not northampton or monroe might be its saving grace.

4361 new cases and I think it’s irrelevant which county Blue is in. We are not going back into green, yellow or red according to Dr. Richard levine but there could be restrictions on hot spots like bars and indoor dining.  Also carbon is now just as hot as the Lehigh valley. 

Biggest concern is that it gets cold enough for snowmaking late this month or at worst early December.  Would be depressing if Blue was closed Xmas week like a few seasons ago when they didn’t open permanently till like January 8

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as weather goes, as long as Blue gets 72 hours at or around 25 degrees, they'll open. The odds are, looking at historic weather, 2% or less that they don't get what they need to open for Christmas with something.

A 2015 repeat would be a real kick in the teeth on top of COVID, though. I really hope that's not the case.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Illinois is 12,600 new cases and Ohio is 6500..likely be another record today.  Maybe 140,000 for the US. 47 new cases for Vermont which is the most I’ve seen for them. Vermont only has 600,000 people so would be equivalent to PA have under 1,000 new cases so Vermont is about 1/5 as bad as PA. North Dakota didn’t report yet but had 1153 cases yesterday which is equivalent to PA having over 20,000 new cases.  In ND it’s so bad hospitals are full and Covid positive nurses are still expected to come to work.  That’s messed up. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/newsmd/coronavirus/6753876-With-North-Dakota-hospitals-at-100-capacity-Burgum-announces-COVID-positive-nurses-can-stay-at-work

I took my first Covid test this morning. Not too bad of a process. I walked over to the Finneran Pavilion and went through the main entrance. In the area between the outside and inside door where you would normally get your ticket checked I was directed by a very friendly priest to scan a QR code on the wall which opened up a website where the tracking aspect of the test took place. I answered a few pages worth of questions with the app and was then given a test kit. I took the kit into the lobby of the Pavilion, which is awesome btw, and proceeded to use the app to scan the barcode on my test kit which then officially linked it to me. I stood in the lobby and enjoyed the scenery of National Championship banners and trophies, the court from the Final Four that's embedded into the concrete floor and myself and 3 other people stood at pre marked areas next to tables (nowhere near each other, and held little vials as if we were at a cocktail party as we classily spit into it for a few minutes until there was sufficient volume to fill it up. I then tossed the funnel that had been on top of the tube, put on the provided cap and screwed it tight until it was punctured and released a blue liquid reagent into my saliva. I tossed the tube into a box on a table and headed out and back to my car. 

Results in about 48 hours so I'll keep you guys posted when they are emailed to me. 

Edited by Schif

5 minutes ago, Schif said:

I took my first Covid test this morning. Not too bad of a process. I walked over to the Finneran Pavilion and went through the main entrance. In the area between the outside and inside door where you would normally get your ticket checked I was directed by a very friendly priest to scan a QR code on the wall which opened up a website where the tracking aspect of the test took place. I answered a few pages worth of questions with the app and was then given a test kit. I took the kit into the lobby of the Pavilion, which is awesome btw, and proceeded to use the app to scan the barcode on my test kit which then officially linked it to me. I stood in the lobby and enjoyed the scenery of National Championship banners and trophies, the court from the Final Four that's embedded into the concrete floor and myself and 3 other people stood at pre marked areas next to tables (nowhere near each other, and held little vials as if we were at a cocktail party as we classily spit into it for a few minutes until there was sufficient volume to fill it up. I then tossed the funnel that had been on top of the tube, put on the provided cap and screwed it tight until it was punctured and released a blue liquid reagent into my saliva. I tossed the tube into a box on a table and headed out and back to my car. 

Results in about 48 hours so I'll keep you guys posted when they are emailed to me. 

Spit test?  WTF?  no fucking daggers up your nose?

28 minutes ago, Schif said:

That sounds intrusive. I wouldn’t want to answer questions or do an app.  Was it free since it was done by your college. 

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That sounds intrusive. I wouldn’t want to answer questions or do an app.  Was it free since it was done by your college. 

Yes it was free and the questions were just demographics, have I been traveling, have I been near anyone with Covid, have I been tested before, do I have any of a big list of symptoms, stuff like that. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Benm said:

Get that pass and duck out for some wkdys

Yeah so here’s the other thing, I now have a rotating schedule that requires me to work every 3rd Saturday but in turn I get a “flex” day off, so the pass is looking more and more appealing. Finances are going to be what dictates it because there’s not a lot of doll hairs floating around to be spent 

31 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Yeah so here’s the other thing, I now have a rotating schedule that requires me to work every 3rd Saturday but in turn I get a “flex” day off, so the pass is looking more and more appealing. Finances are going to be what dictates it because there’s not a lot of doll hairs floating around to be spent 

Credit card FTW

58 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If you don't get it you won't get out this year. Get it. 

• Like 5