Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

When it comes to lockdowns and rules I think a lot of people are not comparing apples to apples. Not only is our country extremely diverse and ranges in geography greatly but you forget how absolutely huge this country is in terms of population. We are number 3 in the world behind India and China. Greece can much more easily enact controls over its 10 Million citizens than we can over our 327 Million. 

51 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Citizens of Greece are required to text the government when they leave their house, and state the reasons thereof. Perhaps this will be implemented here to enforce the national lockdown. Doubt skiing would be on the list of acceptable activities.

I’m getting increasingly worried by the day that Wolf will shut us down soon and no season

5 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

I’m getting increasingly worried by the day that Wolf will shut us down soon and no season

It's entirely possible. All ski resorts shut down early last March and with the numbers now at all time highs, it's certainly not outside the realm of possibilities. Like Schif said, I'll be looking into other activities if we get snow this year like snowshoeing, crosscountry etc.

Edited by saltyant

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

It's entirely possible. All ski resorts shut down early last March and with the numbers now at all time highs, it's certainly not outside the realm of possibilities. Like Schif said, I'll be looking into other activities if we get snow this year like snowshoeing, crosscountry etc.

Ya, if people remember, in March the resorts didn’t give much advance notice, just closed abruptly. I’m certainly getting more and more concerned.  When I did snowshoeing I assumed you floated on top of the snow...but I sunk lol

I think the initial, seemingly overnight, shutdown was in response to fear and an unknown. It was a seemingly logical reaction to what, at the time, where it looked like we could be in a full blown horror movie kind of situation. We didn't know much about this virus and it was killing tons of people. 

Now we know much more, we know how to treat it, we know who is most susceptible to it and we have things in place to mitigate some of the risks. It would take more political capital than he has left in the tank for Wolf to order another shut down. In drips and drabs some restrictions might come out but for the most part what we are seeing now will be the status quo for a while. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

I could see restrictions on gyms...resturants... bars..places of worship....etc..but a full on lockdown I doubt...

I could see nordic skiing and snowshoeing having a gain in popularity....

As well as schools.  I think most of them will be virtual again very soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Schif said:

I think the initial, seemingly overnight, shutdown was in response to fear and an unknown. It was a seemingly logical reaction to what, at the time, where it looked like we could be in a full blown horror movie kind of situation. We didn't know much about this virus and it was killing tons of people. 

Now we know much more, we know how to treat it, we know who is most susceptible to it and we have things in place to mitigate some of the risks. It would take more political capital than he has left in the tank for Wolf to order another shut down. In drips and drabs some restrictions might come out but for the most part what we are seeing now will be the status quo for a while. 

Yeah, and the leader of our country's biggest concern right now is "making America Trump again"  He couldnt give 2 fucks about the virus at this point.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Yeah, and the leader of our country's biggest concern right now is "making America Trump again"  He couldnt give 2 fucks about the virus at this point.  

Hasn't given a fuck about it since the start. He won't do anything about it for the next two months because it won't be his problem and will put president-elect in a difficult position to put restrictions in place to manage the 250k+ daily cases that will occur by then if nothing is done now. 

• Like 2

This is March all over again where we form two camps,  lockdown vs no lock down which means we're all still missing the point. 

A lock down buys you time, that's it,  if you do nothing with that time you end up back in the exact same spot down the road.  This idea that humans have such control over nature is ludicrous and based almost entirely out of a fear of mortality not a response to reality. 

Nationally there is no enumerated power within the federal government to enact a national shutdown but he could ask for one and get some level of compliance. Wolf has said pretty emphatically that no state wide shutdown would occur, likely based on that the state Republicans would lose their shit. 

Regardless we are all still missing the point we talked about in March. A lockdown without a holistic understanding and addressing of humans needs both financially and mentally is ultimately meaningless. Rich people who work from home can virtue signal all day long and bleat about masks until the end of days but it won't matter one bit because starving or serious depression is far more real and dangerous than Rona. 

What we are trying to do is control a part of nature that existed longer than we have. That is of prime level difficulty and instead of using our best tools, imagination and creative thinking, we've done the same thing we've done with politics. X vs Y, lockdown vs no lockdown. It didn't work in March and it won't work here unless you do all the other stuff that is complicated and messy that no one wants to do. 

Additionaly at some level humans need to get ok with the fact of existence that we cannot control everything. Humans will die, you, I, everyone will die, diseases will kill people.  These are the simple facts of existence to fixate on zero deaths is a noble but ultimately ridiculous concept. 

What we need is targeted, attack the low hanging fruit, do our best to mitigate and accept that the die was cast the day the virus showed up.  The really really really big one is to take what we've learned and to build a society that is built to both reduce the risk and impact of such events...... but let's get real we won't do that,  we'll bleat about numbers we don't understand and yell endlessly back and forth about lockdowns and who isn't wearing masks. Eventually a vaccine will come along save our bacon and well go right back to same shit that got us in this mess in the first place. We are dumb hairless apes with some real nifty tricks but we cannot run counter to nature and expect to win especially if we aren't even playing the right game. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

Wolf isn’t going to do that.  He and Richard Levine made it clear that it’s not happening.  He received way too much pressure from republicans and business owners.  Plus the states economy can’t handle that. 

• Confused 1