Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

12 minutes ago, IceEidolon said:

Early gravestones are really robbing Peter to pay Paul, right? Though maybe not enough'll die to make that kind of difference.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Well an additional 260,000 deaths this year in the USA some of them probably would have died anyway and in a year there are about 2.8 million deaths a year so probably about a 10% increase in the death rate.  That’s irrelevant it’s mainly how much the philly, NJ and Lehigh valley funeral directors who sell for us do.  Walk in business is only 10-15% and most of that has been through the phone mail and email this year.  I’ve only had about 15 appointments since March all outdoors and masked.  Usually I at least have a couple a week.  The pandemic has cut down on people shopping..they usually buy now if they call even if they don’t cry.  March and April were about half the business as normal and November will end up being about double so will likely even out..but next year is gonna be insane as there’s a 3 months to year lag between when deaths occur and when people buy.  

I actually can’t believe how good the economy is that was my biggest fear going into this is that people would go cheaper and that hasn’t been the case.  I don’t know if you’ve ever studied economics but the time value of money means a dollar now is worth more than a dollar tomorrow or in a year so rather get the orders sooner than later.  I have retirement to think about. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

5676 new cases in PA. Lehigh county numbers look lower than they’ve been in awhile.  I haven’t even checked nationwide numbers today but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s over 200,000 and over 2500 deaths if not today really soon. 

9A3EC1B2-DA2E-464B-9798-313079A86079.jpeg

Getting close. The US has the highest number of COVID hospitalizations since the start, and it is likely going to keep increasing over the next few weeks. 

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

Getting close. The US has the highest number of COVID hospitalizations since the start, and it is likely going to keep increasing over the next few weeks. 

Do you think we are in a better place now to handle it now with more knowledge of the disease and a better understanding of how to treat it than we were when this first came up? 

Just now, Schif said:

Do you think we are in a better place now to handle it now with more knowledge of the disease and a better understanding of how to treat it than we were when this first came up? 

100% yes I think we are in a better place to treat the virus, but seeing a rise in hospitalizations is going to continue to put an unnecessary strain on health systems.

• Like 1

Back when we first had restrictions, limited knowledge and very limited resources we were able to get numbers down...Now with less restrictions, better knowledge and resources the numbers are up.....

I agree with all that but didn’t all schools closed for the spring semester? We had most schools open this fall. With all the knowledge I still don’t see the majority of people wearing a mask properly. I keep getting customers that pull their mask down to talk to me [emoji20]
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

Back when we first had restrictions, limited knowledge and very limited resources we were able to get numbers down...Now with less restrictions, better knowledge and resources the numbers are up.....

Well there’s also a lot more testing and people are fatigued by all this.  Also realize there’s a certain percentage of people who don’t care. I didn’t go out to bars or restaurants for outdoor dining until July fourth and between then and Halloween was only indoors maskless around people like twice but there are bartenders and servers and patrons who are out multiple days a week and haven’t got the Oy Vey Covey or maybe they did but symptoms were less than a bad hangover. Just look at how poorly the average person wears a mask.  Shit I still see masks made from old t shirts with ears cut out.  That is some hickory dickory dock shit. I said it before the PASRs are generally more educated than the average person and most are good people so have been taking precautions.  Average people are doing a lot of the same stuff they always did like going to diners regularly and having thanksgiving with extended family.  My friend who’s super strict about Covid, went to thanksgiving with extended family due to Fear of missing out.  She said she even wore a mask around her pregnant sister. I asked if anybody else wore a mask and she said no. They just want some yummy in their tummy and normalcy.  

10 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I said it before the PASRs are generally more educated than the average person and most are good people so have been taking precautions.  

I find that to be pretty across the boards with skiers in general.  Car guys?  kinda couldnt give a fuck.  I went to a car show and people wearing masks properly were definitely the minority, by lots.  People protecting their chin with a mask?  lots.  

I saw this week that the CDC is saying that the actual number of infections is likely 8 times what the reported number is.  This has me feeling optimistic because you figure at the current number of 14 million cases, that would mean that 112 million have already been infected.  With a US population of 330 million, if we get a couple rounds of the vaccine distributed it will dramatically slow down the spread.  Although it won't be eliminated for a a while it will surely slow down after we eclipse 50% and move toward herd immunity.  I'm sure there is a rebuttal to this by people way smarter than me, but I'm going to proceed forward with a hopeful attitude.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

I find that to be pretty across the boards with skiers in general.  Car guys?  kinda couldnt give a fuck.  I went to a car show and people wearing masks properly were definitely the minority, by lots.  People protecting their chin with a mask?  lots.  

You can call me Karen..

FE6114CB-9EC8-40A0-A4B2-002D057E660D.png

7EF28FAB-82DF-4016-BFC6-BD56D7A13231.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I saw this week that the CDC is saying that the actual number of infections is likely 8 times what the reported number is.  This has me feeling optimistic because you figure at the current number of 14 million cases, that would mean that 112 million have already been infected.  With a US population of 330 million, if we get a couple rounds of the vaccine distributed it will dramatically slow down the spread.  Although it won't be eliminated for a a while it will surely slow down after we eclipse 50% and move toward herd immunity.  I'm sure there is a rebuttal to this by people way smarter than me, but I'm going to proceed forward with a hopeful attitude.  

It’s plausible, in North and South Dakota where about 10% of the population has already tested positive cases are starting to decline. How accurate are the antibody tests?  I’d be curious if I already got it. I really doubt it..I’ve barely been around people the last 8 months. 

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It’s plausible, in North and South Dakota where about 10% of the population has already tested positive cases are starting to decline. How accurate are the antibody tests?  I’d be curious if I already got it. I really doubt it..I’ve barely been around people the last 8 months. 

I'd be astonished if my family has not had it but I'm not a big worrier about it.  Found out yesterday that the family across the street was exposed and my wife and kids are over them all the time so we'll see!  I'm just glad that I don't have to interact much at work because I'd feel more bad about giving it than getting it I think.    

16 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I'd be astonished if my family has not had it but I'm not a big worrier about it.  Found out yesterday that the family across the street was exposed and my wife and kids are over them all the time so we'll see!  I'm just glad that I don't have to interact much at work because I'd feel more bad about giving it than getting it I think.    

I haven’t seen my office manager since 3/20. She comes in 2-3 days a week early in the morning to pick stuff up and drop stuff off..

• Like 1