Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow just wow and my friend who teaches in Philly SD likely won’t go back till the fall at the earliest. Do you have to yell at kids for not properly wearing masks?

They’re pretty good about wearing masks. Maybe 5 out of 100 need to be reminded to pull them up over their nose.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Not with 70% vaccinated?

I think that figure is too low for herd immunity. 25% of adults say they aren't going to get the vaccine. About 20% (just a guess) of the US population is <18. These vaccines aren't approved for use in those under 18 yet or maybe 16. That is a huge chunk of people. I think we have a while to go until it is achieved if it even ever is achieved since a lot is going to depend on longevity of immunity for those who have been vaccinated and those who have acquired the virus naturally. Luckily, numbers have been trending nicely as vaccination roll out has been improving. We'll know more in a few months...

18 minutes ago, poconoceancity said:

They’re pretty good about wearing masks. Maybe 5 out of 100 need to be reminded to pull them up over their nose.

That’s better than most adults!!!  I can’t say anything to my customers.  I had one old lady who had no mask on and I had mine on and she said,”oh do I need to wear a mask?” And I just nodded yes. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I think that figure is too low for herd immunity. 25% of adults say they aren't going to get the vaccine. About 20% (just a guess) of the US population is <18. These vaccines aren't approved for use in those under 18 yet or maybe 16. That is a huge chunk of people. I think we have a while to go until it is achieved if it even ever is achieved since a lot is going to depend on longevity of immunity for those who have been vaccinated and those who have acquired the virus naturally. Luckily, numbers have been trending nicely as vaccination roll out has been improving. We'll know more in a few months...

Thanks for the info!!

The question that has never been addressed from day 1 is what is our level of risk tolerance? Covid isn't going anywhere so what's our plan going forward with it?  Every time in the past I thought "This won't fly" or "There's no way people will be OK with this for more than two weeks", it just keeps rolling along. This entire school year is pretty much shot and I have a bad feeling about a majority of schools reopening in a meaningful way in the fall as well. 

4 minutes ago, Schif said:

The question that has never been addressed from day 1 is what is our level of risk tolerance? Covid isn't going anywhere so what's our plan going forward with it?  Every time in the past I thought "This won't fly" or "There's no way people will be OK with this for more than two weeks", it just keeps rolling along. This entire school year is pretty much shot and I have a bad feeling about a majority of schools reopening in a meaningful way in the fall as well. 

Many teachers in urban school distracts are scared shitless about going back and their unions have their backs. The majority of their students are brown and black and that demographic has been more affected by the pandemic due to more multi generational households and densely populated urban environments. The exact opposite of this would be like catholic school teachers who have been in the classroom since August.  Their students parents are mostly upper middle class white people..more moderate to republican who want normalcy for their kids..as of now 2/3 of teachers are back in the classroom either full time or hybrid and I expect that number to increase with urban districts like Allentown, Philadelphia and Chicago to be the last hold outs.  

Well my plan is to get vaccinated asap. Speaking of which I read that Johnson and Johnson may be close to releasing their single dose version.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Many teachers in urban school distracts are scared shitless about going back and their unions have their backs. The majority of their students are brown and black and that demographic has been more affected by the pandemic due to more multi generational households and densely populated urban environments. The exact opposite of this would be like catholic school teachers who have been in the classroom since August.  Their students parents are mostly upper middle class white people..more moderate to republican who want normalcy for their kids..as of now 2/3 of teachers are back in the classroom either full time or hybrid and I expect that number to increase with urban districts like Allentown, Philadelphia and Chicago to be the last hold outs.  

Correlation does not equal causation. I can't speak for your friends' schools specifically, but philly public schools as a whole, from what I have seen first hand, do not have great ventilation. Many do not have AC and occasionally cancel classes if it gets too hot. Regardless of what color their students' skin might be, I think their unions have their backs because the environment they work in is just straight up not safe right now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It’s racism on the part of Democrats and the teachers union to keep urban, minority districts closed while their wealthy white kids go to school.  The last thing those underperforming districts need is less school, and instead the teachers union is purposely keeping at risk youth out of schools.  Less privledged kids get left behind to promote a political agenda smh

• Boner City 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

It’s racism on the part of Democrats and the teachers union to keep urban, minority districts closed while their wealthy white kids go to school.  The last thing those underperforming districts need is less school, and instead the teachers union is purposely keeping at risk youth out of schools.  Less privledged kids get left behind to promote a political agenda smh

Sucks to suck.  

10 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I want an "i got my shot" sticker so badly

Someone could be vaccinating the rest of his Blue Mountain family, but whatever. 😀
my parents were able to get their first, kind of out of the blue the other day, so im pretty happy about that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Dan have you signed up for your first dose yet?

Yep. I have been signing up where ever i can. 
i have a co worker (from Delco) that is compromised, so he was able to get his first Saturday (in Delco). He said there were a ton of people there, and someone came out and said, “ok, who here actually has an appointment?”  Which was like 1/4 of the people there, so apparently people just go in hopes of getting one i guess. He also said people were starting shit with him about being able to get the vaccine. Glad to hear Delco continues to keep it classy. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, JFskiDan said:

Yep. I have been signing up where ever i can. 
i have a co worker (from Delco) that is compromised, so he was able to get his first Saturday (in Delco). He said there were a ton of people there, and someone came out and said, “ok, who here actually has an appointment?”  Which was like 1/4 of the people there, so apparently people just go in hopes of getting one i guess. He also said people were starting shit with him about being able to get the vaccine. Glad to hear Delco continues to keep it classy. 

Wow just wow...and my parents were in a similar boat to yours.  My dad drove an hour and a half for his last Friday and my mom I think has hers today. In Virginia it’s still strictly olds and front line workers..fats and smokes can’t get them there yet.  

At my appointment last week all they asked me was my name at two different spots and somebody asked me what county I live in.  Apparently a lot of people from New York were getting vaccinated at the Bethlehem site. They didn’t even ask to see my ID

• Confused 1