Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

2 hours ago, Schif said:

Once the count reaches the population of the state can we stop counting? Or do we go back around to 0? 

No idea I’ve been reading about Australia’s strict lockdowns and it’s crazy.  We actually have a good bit of freedom here but at a certain point there is fear mongering. All my customers have been talking about Boosters this week.  The word is that Pfizer has boosters available but moderna does not..

The rapid at home tests are the bomb, especially in the fall when the kids and back to school...spreading germs everywhere. Kids were sick (coughing,  runny nose etc) and Pharmacies are sold out everywhere. Finally found one at Walmart (they had one left and I asked them to hold it for me). They come two in a pack. Tested both kids...negative which is in line with the test taken at the UC. I'm stocking up on these bad boys for future use. They cheap and on Amazon right now. 

Update...so I can't stock up...They're sold out but I was able to grab one last week which is being shipped.

SmartSelect_20211002-060543_Chrome.jpg

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

The rapid at home tests are the bomb, especially in the fall when the kids and back to school...spreading germs everywhere. Kids were sick (coughing,  runny nose etc) and Pharmacies are sold out everywhere. Finally found one at Walmart (they had one left and I asked them to hold it for me). They come two in a pack. Tested both kids...negative which is in line with the test taken at the UC. I'm stocking up on these bad boys for future use. They cheap and on Amazon right now.

keep checking walmart's website. it was a while ago, maybe a month, but i was at the lehighton one and they had a ton of them. debated grabbing a couple but didn't. says they're in stock at east stroud but that's prob a hike for you. 

59 minutes ago, Benm said:

keep checking walmart's website. it was a while ago, maybe a month, but i was at the lehighton one and they had a ton of them. debated grabbing a couple but didn't. says they're in stock at east stroud but that's prob a hike for you. 

I got 1 on the way from Amazon and 2 coming from cvs.com that I ordered this morning. The one I got last week was from the Walmart in Lehighton...was 14 bucks. Was the last one left. At cvs.com they're 25 bucks now.

Edit...cvs.com is sold out now. Damn.

Edited by RidgeRacer

22 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How accurate are the at home tests?  

Highly accurate if you have symptoms 

Sensitivity of the BinaxNOW antigen test, compared with polymerase chain reaction testing, was lower when used to test specimens from asymptomatic (35.8%) than from symptomatic (64.2%) persons, but specificity was high. Sensitivity was higher for culture-positive specimens (92.6% and 78.6% for those from symptomatic and asymptomatic persons, respectively); however, some antigen test-negative specimens had culturable virus.

How to use: The BinaxNOW antigen test is pretty easy to take – only a shallow nostril swab is necessary. There's a card you place your swab into. Like a pregnancy test, a single line means the test is negative. Two lines indicate a positive result. 

Accuracy: The BinaxNOW test correctly gave a positive result 84.6% of the time compared to PCR. In the same study, the test correctly gave a negative result 98.5% of the time.

Availability: The BinaxNOW test costs $24 for two tests, which are meant to be used on the same person within three days (serial testing). The BinaxNOW test does not meet travel requirements for testing.

Edited by RidgeRacer

7 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

How often do you plan on testing your kids? Sounds like it could start getting expensive. And I’m curious, all you folks with younger kids, will you get them vaccinated if approved? 

Whenever they have symptoms which, unfortunately, happens a lot when they go back to school. Better to be safe and know IMO...not just for sending them back to school purposes but visiting family members etc. Came in handy having the test last week for sure. Yes I had to bribe them with buying them something from Amazon if they let me stick the swap up their nose but whatever.  And yes to the vaccine when approved. 

• Like 1

I ordered a pack of these a few weeks ago ahead of a get together with a couple friends from all over.  Came the next day.  Couldn't find any locally anywhere.

They site is designed for a certified test, and you are supposed to do it via video chat with a technician, but you can just ignore that and use it like a regular rapid test.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyKf4y-2x8wIVh9zICh2IIwhfEAAYASAAEgLPvfD_BwE

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Country seems to be going down but Pennsylvania is going up.

Well realize that the big red states like Texas and Florida got the Delta variant early and we’re a little later to the game.  Also, because like 95% of us are vaccinated and likely most of our friends and relatives are, it may seem like most are but if you exclude the elderly and educated folks, there are an awful lot of unvaccinated folks out there amoung us. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich