Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

9 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Hope so. I work this weekend, so missing closing day, on top of their last minute decision to close this week. I really love spring skiing and tailgating after the clocks spring ahead, pretty much robbed of that this year. Blue doesn’t give a rat’s ass about Covid 19, it’s all money. More people die of the regular flu every year. The media has totally had a field day with this. Went to Aldi today to buy a few things, the shelves were practically bare!!! WTF people get a grip. 

The argument that influenza kills more people every year isn't comparable. The flu is somewhat predictable where strains of the flu can be isolated early enough for vaccines to be modified from year to year for prophylaxis. COVID is a newly discovered virus where there is no vaccination and won't be for a while. It is spread rapidly and people may not even be aware that they are carrying the virus because of the varied symptomatology. People are dying at a rate 10+ times the rate of influenza. It is ignorant to blame "the media" for talking about this when it is literally a worldwide pandemic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Mostly old people with serious underlying health problems. Sorry, I’m on a rant with this insanity. I’m older than most of you, does anyone remember Y2K? 

Sure I remember Y2K...and so what if people are old doesn’t mean we want them to die from a virus...this ski season is 4 months old that doesn’t make it better that they’re closing early.  This has nothing to do with Y2K and while I’m not as nervous as some, this should be taken seriously...especially from somebody like you who works in the medical field. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Sure I remember Y2K...and so what if people are old doesn’t mean we want them to die from a virus...this ski season is 4 months old that doesn’t make it better that they’re closing early.  This has nothing to do with Y2K and while I’m not as nervous as some, this should be taken seriously...especially from somebody like you who works in the medical field. 

I’m more worried about some nut case walking in trying to shoot all of us. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

1 hour ago, momskeeztoo said:

I am taking it seriously, and yes, it has nothing to do with Y2K. I just feel the media is making it 10 times worse than it should be.  It’s a lot of common sense. Wash your hands, don’t touch your face, and don’t go to work when you’re sick. 

The media is hyping it and also by showing all the empty grocery/supply stores isn’t helping, it’s just fueling the fervor.  Those that weren’t in a panic are now being caught up in it.

If the media is going to whip it into a frenzy, which they tend to do for ratings, they ought to also show that there is t a need for utter panic as well, but because there are no ratings in that, they choose to ignore that side of the story. Acquiring the virus isn’t a death sentence and you also don’t need 10 packs of 50 rolls of toilet paper either.

It’s very hard to stop the herd mentality once it starts rolling...

The bastards even cleared out the JD shelves!

15EE5A3B-A501-46AD-AC3F-0FD349F98490.thumb.jpeg.637897befaca72b6a48ce9c894951de9.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Seems strange that people are so freaked out, yet will go look at cars. Maybe they think they’ll get a discount 

im very surprised, as we were dead every day earlier this week.  believe it or not there is no rhyme, reason, or pattern why people show up to the dealership when they do.  sometimes, its a beatiful day and noboday comes, other days we are packed on beautiful days.  sometimes we get super crowded when it rains, other times  we are dead.  guys who have been doing this 30+ years tell me they still havent figured out why people decide to come in when they do. traditionally march was a good month cause people are getting their tax checks back, but this march not so much 

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

im very surprised, as we were dead every day earlier this week.  believe it or not there is no rhyme, reason, or pattern why people show up to the dealership when they do.  sometimes, its a beatiful day and noboday comes, other days we are packed on beautiful days.  sometimes we get super crowded when it rains, other times  we are dead.  guys who have been doing this 30+ years tell me they still havent figured out why people decide to come in when they do. traditionally march was a good month cause people are getting their tax checks back, but this march not so much 

Wow just wow 

Not necessarily buying, just filling the void with the entropy of negotiations with the sales, then their manager, then the manager of the manager. I bet, even if no car is bought, all parties end up thoroughly satisfied by the process. 'Cause where else to go??

I actually envy them. We just got banned from work. Can't even come to the building. Have to stay and work from home.

Edited by eaf

19 minutes ago, eaf said:

I actually envy them. We just got banned from work. Can't even come to the building. Have to stay and work from home.

At least you have a fun week planned out with great movies to watch. Contagion and 12 Monkeys. Maybe throw in a zombie apocalypse movie too. I'll be watching some movies also, we can watch them simultaneously and start a live movie discussion thread to fight off extreme boredom from prolonged self quarantine.

Edited by saltyant

2 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

Definately going to slow down now that Wolf is basically shutting down the county. 

8 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Good. Drink a beer at home or your hotel house. It will be cheaper anyway.

Agreed. But that Ban does not apply to the city of philadelphia which is where you would think the largest concentration of people is.