Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

17 minutes ago, Benm said:

HARRISBURG, PA — Pennsylvania health officials will announce "targeted efforts" to control the spread of the coronavirus during a news briefing Tuesday afternoon. Pennsylvania Health Secretary Rachel Levine will hold the briefing at 1 p.m. to announce the measures.

Probably gonna close down bars and limit indoor restaurant capacity to 25% and reduce the size of gatherings both indoor and outdoor.  That’s my guess. 

11 minutes ago, Benm said:

i don't think it'll affect skiing. at the most i'd imagine lodges etc. i think it's worth a listen though, i'll have it on in the background. 

Will be worth seeing everybody say on FB that we are going to have a lockdown even though that’s not true. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

11 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

Cancelled ours and are going to buy gift cards to the bar we usually go to as a gift to employees.

That’s nice and a good idea maybe I’ll do that for my employees..gift cards for carrabas where we do our Xmas lunch.  Used to always be at the Apollo grill but they’d order like a soda and cheeseburger not like old delivery guy who would order half the menu. 

41 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

Cancelled ours and are going to buy gift cards to the bar we usually go to as a gift to employees.

That's a nice thing to do.  my workplace cancelled both the children's christmas party and the regular employee one.  Don't care so much about the employee one, but something for the kids would be nice (they usually hand out toys to the kids at the parties, so hooking the kids up with toys would be cool)

33 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Probably gonna close down bars and limit indoor restaurant capacity to 25% and reduce the size of gatherings both indoor and outdoor.  That’s my guess. 

that's my guess too.  doesn't affect me too much.  It doesn't sound like the day cares are going to shut down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That’s nice and a good idea maybe I’ll do that for my employees..gift cards for carrabas where we do our Xmas lunch.  Used to always be at the Apollo grill but they’d order like a soda and cheeseburger not like old delivery guy who would order half the menu. 

Not that you should listen to me, but I would suggest buying gift cards to smaller, independently owned places instead of chain restaurants. Especially this year. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Not that you should listen to me, but I would suggest buying gift cards to smaller, independently owned places instead of chain restaurants. Especially this year. 

I rarely eat at chain restaurants, but yeah...I started getting more takeout, crowlers, etc. since this started and still have been doing that like once or twice a week.  Another shutdown is likely going to put some places out of business.  One of my favorite local breakfast places just shut down.  Small space, so the decreased capacity really hurt them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

I rarely eat at chain restaurants, but yeah...I started getting more takeout, crowlers, etc. since this started and still have been doing that like once or twice a week.  Another shutdown is likely going to put some places out of business.  One of my favorite local breakfast places just shut down.  Small space, so the decreased capacity really hurt them.

Yeah it probably will. It is necessary, but there needs to be some federal funding intervention. If they can bail out airlines they should be able to spare a few dollars for restaurants, theaters, arts, music venues, etc. But what do I know, I'm just a nurse. 

• Like 4

Things just got a little fucked up around here today.  One of the mechanics called out this morning out with a 101 fever.  

Then we got a phone call that one of the wives of a guy tested positive, so that wipes out about 3 other guys that guy is with today, to get tested tomorrow.  

Things aint looking so good.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I really wish there was better record keeping and data that would tell us exactly how many cases were likely acquired in restaurants, gyms, theaters, gatherings, protests, grocery store, work, schools, etc.  I look at the Covid dashboard for my school district often and there are hardly any cases, most of which are in staff members who picked it up who knows where.  Since we are supposed to use data and science for everything, we should be using it to decide what to shut down.  Maybe they are doing this, but they should give the numbers to the public so that we can be more supportive of the decisions they make by seeing the transparency in the data.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I really wish there was better record keeping and data that would tell us exactly how many cases were likely acquired in restaurants, gyms, theaters, gatherings, protests, grocery store, work, schools, etc.  I look at the Covid dashboard for my school district often and there are hardly any cases, most of which are in staff members who picked it up who knows where.  Since we are supposed to use data and science for everything, we should be using it to decide what to shut down.  Maybe they are doing this, but they should give the numbers to the public so that we can be more supportive of the decisions they make by seeing the transparency in the data.  

The numbers shot up in September as soon as schools opened and continue to get higher. There has to be some correlation.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, poconoceancity said:

The numbers shot up in September as soon as schools opened and continue to get higher. There has to be some correlation.

Seems to make sense, but this isn't the case in my district.  "Has to be" does not replace "is" when you are making a decision as important as children's education.  

I will add, though, this was definitely the case with my local college and the numbers showed as much.

Edited by NMSKI
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

My office manager never uses any of the gift cards she receives.  One of our dealers gave her a $50 one for Cafe enoteca last year and she still hasn’t used it...but I hear you.  I’ve probably spent the most money this pandemic at the Shanty on 19th Street.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Things just got a little fucked up around here today.  One of the mechanics called out this morning out with a 101 fever.  

Then we got a phone call that one of the wives of a guy tested positive, so that wipes out about 3 other guys that guy is with today, to get tested tomorrow.  

Things aint looking so good.  

I wasn’t thrilled when my delivery driver said he ate at the Cracker Barrel with his family this last weekend.  A month ago I wouldn’t even bat an eyelash but shit is too hot for indoor dining in my humble opinion. After a few weeks of not going out I am tempted to sit outside this weekend at a local bar or restaurant and daydrink since it’s gonna be 60 and sunny.  

10 minutes ago, Benm said:

the absolute last industry that deserves being bailed out.

I would say wrong on that one.  If airlines are not fiscally sound they’re gonna cut corners with safety procedures and replacing old planes..as somebody who flies a couple times a year with aspirations to fly a lot more, I want the airlines to do well. 

17 minutes ago, poconoceancity said:

I think that is a part of it along with youth sports, indoor bars and dining, protests, rallys and I believe a lot are just a few couples getting together inside somebodies house to have food and drinks.  A lot of people are hugging like normal. I saw some guy give a friend a kiss in the cheek when she had a mask on. Weird wild stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shadows said:

just heard a story about airlines pickup up livestock now since they need to fill planes. makes sense

I'd like to hear more about this.  Where is the livestock going that it can't go by truck?  There's no way its cheaper to transport via airline but what do I know.