Jump to content

Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Schif said:

I don't like virtual at all, but that's just me. I know a lot of people do like it and I completely get the convenience factor but I just get much more out of actually going to a class. 

I was talking with my stepmom who teaches at Villanova in the business school and she told me an interesting story.  While everyone still learned the same amount, and the spring and summer programs went pretty well, she realized that she had barely gotten to know any of the students.  There is one particular professor in charge of some type of grant that asks her to recommend someone who is interested in pursuing a career in the discipline that she teaches.  She couldn't think of a single person to recommend because she hadn't gotten the opportunity to really get to know anyone by hanging out at office hours or around campus.  

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be interesting to see what happens with my offices reopening the office plans. As of now, we are still planning to open July 13th with some strict guidelines in place but with numbers on the r

Negative for covid-19. Time to start drinking. 

I let his dad visit him today as he is only allowed one visitor per day. He is out of ICU now and joking with the nurses. He is writing down all the nurses names and said he wants to get a cake with a

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I was talking with my stepmom who teaches at Villanova in the business school and she told me an interesting story.  While everyone still learned the same amount, and the spring and summer programs went pretty well, she realized that she had barely gotten to know any of the students.  There is one particular professor in charge of some type of grant that asks her to recommend someone who is interested in pursuing a career in the discipline that she teaches.  She couldn't think of a single person to recommend because she hadn't gotten the opportunity to really get to know anyone by hanging out at office hours or around campus.  

100% agree with this. Not only do you not really build a relationship with your professors but you don't get to know your cohort as well either. Hopefully that  changes soon but we've really only hung out once so far as a group. 

 

You'll have to shoot me a message and let me know her name so I can take one of her classes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NMSKI said:

I was talking with my stepmom who teaches at Villanova in the business school and she told me an interesting story.  While everyone still learned the same amount, and the spring and summer programs went pretty well, she realized that she had barely gotten to know any of the students.  There is one particular professor in charge of some type of grant that asks her to recommend someone who is interested in pursuing a career in the discipline that she teaches.  She couldn't think of a single person to recommend because she hadn't gotten the opportunity to really get to know anyone by hanging out at office hours or around campus.  

Yeah. It sucks being remote. One of my favorite parts of my job is beholding relationships with students and mentoring them. That isn’t as realistic with virtual office hours and advising. I look forward to being back on campus part time now and full in the fall. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Yeah. It sucks being remote. One of my favorite parts of my job is beholding relationships with students and mentoring them. That isn’t as realistic with virtual office hours and advising. I look forward to being back on campus part time now and full in the fall. 

It must be tough when you have hot students..I guess you just need to try to remain professional even though your willy might go a little silly. 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It must be tough when you have hot students..I guess you just need to try to remain professional even though your willy might go a little silly. 

Sure, Doug. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’m being serious..I know it’s tempting but you don’t wanna be a creep or ruin your marriage. 

Sure, Doug. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Yeah. It sucks being remote. One of my favorite parts of my job is beholding relationships with students and mentoring them. That isn’t as realistic with virtual office hours and advising. I look forward to being back on campus part time now and full in the fall. 

We have some techs where I work that go to nursing school. It’s been pretty stressful for them to have all virtual classes.  You really need clinical experience. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

We have some techs where I work that go to nursing school. It’s been pretty stressful for them to have all virtual classes.  You really need clinical experience. 

We have never stopped clinical rotations for students, with the exception of April 2020 when this first started. I developed about 10 virtual simulations for our students in the event that we have to be pulled from clinical rotations temporarily. Luckily we haven't had to use them.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

A few developments in the Covid-19 pandemic.  Cases are rising in Japan and India and in both of those countries vaccination rates are very low.  Covid hospitalizations in the US for younger people are rising.  8% of people who had first doses skipped their second dose.  Reasons cited are that they think one dose is enough..some also fear the side effects of the second dose or immune response. There are also a lot of households where the wife is vaccinated and the husband is not, about 10% more women have been vaccinated than men. I lurk the reopen PA where most refer to masks as face diapers and they are totally opposed to the vaccine and many of them are older and fat.  

B4E04B2C-8419-4B00-B630-3B3702F655F5.png

93E6BA0C-F6D4-4D1E-BB2A-7C900AB70F9B.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
A few developments in the Covid-19 pandemic.  Cases are rising in Japan and India and in both of those countries vaccination rates are very low.

Apparently India thought they beat the virus and had some massive religious festivals. Noticed Monroe, Lehigh and Northampton case rates are finally starting to come down. Hope it is not just lack of testing.
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

And it will keep going strong as a lot of people refuse to get vaccinated.  They can risk getting Covid while I’m here living my best Lyfe not worrying about anything. 

At a certain point it might sound harsh but this is how it's going to be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow Biden will likely announce that masks will no longer be needed outdoors....I think by late summer masks will be optional indoors.  A lot of the people on the reopen PA page have been shopping at various businesses maskless and most aren’t having much pushback aside from dirty looks.  It’s much different in the larger cities than places like Lebanon though.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chester county royally screwed up my vaccine stuff. Original appointment on 4/13 for JJ, got moderna instead. Was instructed I would get an email to schedule the second shot. Email never came. Checked vaccine portal on county website and it had my appointment as “missed”. Call CCHD and explain I didn’t miss the appointment but got moderna instead of JJ. Got the “no problem I’ll note that and send out the schedule email. Another week goes by and no email. Call CCHD today and the lady takes my info and goes “we have you confirmed as having both shots done at the Jennersville YMCA on April 6th and April 18th”. Not sure how that happened, but I advised her I only had one shot done and it was not at the jennersville YMCA, she was nice and escalated the issue to what she called “higher ups” and I’m still awaiting to hear from them on how I’m going to get the second shot scheduled as the 30 day window is about halfway closed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Chester county royally screwed up my vaccine stuff. Original appointment on 4/13 for JJ, got moderna instead. Was instructed I would get an email to schedule the second shot. Email never came. Checked vaccine portal on county website and it had my appointment as “missed”. Call CCHD and explain I didn’t miss the appointment but got moderna instead of JJ. Got the “no problem I’ll note that and send out the schedule email. Another week goes by and no email. Call CCHD today and the lady takes my info and goes “we have you confirmed as having both shots done at the Jennersville YMCA on April 6th and April 18th”. Not sure how that happened, but I advised her I only had one shot done and it was not at the jennersville YMCA, she was nice and escalated the issue to what she called “higher ups” and I’m still awaiting to hear from them on how I’m going to get the second shot scheduled as the 30 day window is about halfway closed. 

That fairground drop in has the Moderna according to the radio. Not sure if you can somehow convince them to stick you

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Chester county royally screwed up my vaccine stuff. Original appointment on 4/13 for JJ, got moderna instead. Was instructed I would get an email to schedule the second shot. Email never came. Checked vaccine portal on county website and it had my appointment as “missed”. Call CCHD and explain I didn’t miss the appointment but got moderna instead of JJ. Got the “no problem I’ll note that and send out the schedule email. Another week goes by and no email. Call CCHD today and the lady takes my info and goes “we have you confirmed as having both shots done at the Jennersville YMCA on April 6th and April 18th”. Not sure how that happened, but I advised her I only had one shot done and it was not at the jennersville YMCA, she was nice and escalated the issue to what she called “higher ups” and I’m still awaiting to hear from them on how I’m going to get the second shot scheduled as the 30 day window is about halfway closed. 

You have up to 42 days, if that make you feel any better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...