Only game in town - how much longer?

Ski2Live Live2Ski

24 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Where are you thinking of going?? I was looking up stuff for my big Utah trip today which will be first week of March. Debating between 5 and 6 days of skiing.

Maybe Colorado at the time I usually go to Jackson hole or maybe Jackson hole since they’ve been getting snow. I don’t know. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Maybe Colorado at the time I usually go to Jackson hole or maybe Jackson hole since they’ve been getting snow. I don’t know. 

Is the annual PASR Jackson trip still on this year or are you guys taking a hiatus this year ?

6 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Do you know where you are skiing yet? 

Nope! I've been thinking of splitting my time between the Park City area and Cottonwood. I really like small touristy towns and think it would be fun to stay in PC for a few days. But of course it doesn't look like you can access the big resorts like Brighton, Solitude, etc. from PC except by doing a long ass loop via I-80, since the connecting pass is closed for the winter.

So while Park City mountain isn't popular on here @Johnny Law, I wouldn't mind checking it out 1 or 2 days before going somewhere else. Or maybe Deer Valley, since that's close by. 

IDK. Everywhere's new to me out there so I'll have a blast at any resort. And yes, I plan to hit up some big places like Alta, Brighton, Solitude, etc. Not sure where yet but I've gotten a lot of advice from many (which I've mostly forgotten :( )

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Nope! I've been thinking of splitting my time between the Park City area and Cottonwood. I really like small touristy towns and think it would be fun to stay in PC for a few days. But of course it doesn't look like you can access the big resorts like Brighton, Solitude, etc. from PC except by doing a long ass loop via I-80, since the connecting pass is closed for the winter.

So while Park City mountain isn't popular on here @Johnny Law, I wouldn't mind checking it out 1 or 2 days before going somewhere else. Or maybe Deer Valley, since that's close by. 

IDK. Everywhere's new to be there so I'll have a blast at any resort. And yes, I plan to hit up some big places like Alta, Brighton, Solitude, etc. Not sure where yet but I've gotten a lot of advice from many (which I've mostly forgotten :( )

I’ve been to them all and they all are worthy of a visit for different reasons. Let’s chat this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, saltyant said:

IDK. Everywhere's new to me out there so I'll have a blast at any resort. And yes, I plan to hit up some big places like Alta, Brighton, Solitude, etc. Not sure where yet but I've gotten a lot of advice from many (which I've mostly forgotten :( )

I'm here now, well DV but that's still park city the town. I've skied the canyons/PC maybe 7 times? Where as all the rest way way more. 

I've skied DV 3 days so far and Alta/Bird 1 and by far the snow at Alta is in everyway better than DV. You hate icy snow yes ? Than your favorite place all week would have been Alta by far. Two days back 1" at DV was 6 at Alta.  Its all awesome and amazing but the snow is generally better in LCC/BCC though it always depends on the year. Sometimes Basin and Pow Mow do really well over the canyons and one year Sundance had the most snow with Timp. Everyone agrees though, even my family who has a house at Park City its good but not LCC/BCC. Do whatever vacation you want except the mint, that shit is lame. 

I'm just saying there is a reason people talk the talk about the bird or Alta or whatever. Today DV opened Empire for the season and my brother, cousin and I got 3 laps in all the H&R fluff and stuff they had on the ground so far pretty much by ourselves as we can get their before everyone else with the car.  Thats what its all about to me but I do think the resorts are very different and my least favorite is Park city fwiw. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I will add DV does have tremendous accessories. The St Regis deck at 7452 has insanely good oysters and truffle pizza. Rime has bomber steaks. I dont often drink during skiing but they do have very fancy drinks, drink people proclaim the shit. 

Empire has the Veuve tent, their ski school is the bestest, they have an oyster and tuna tartare at the top of the gondy on the Jordanelle side. That's what DV is all about and if that's your thing nobody does it better but Pow Mow is chicken tendies and rusty pick up but both are worth your time.........but not the mint LOL 

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Law said:

I will add DV does have tremendous accessories. The St Regis deck at 7452 has insanely good oysters and truffle pizza. Rime has bomber steaks. I dont often drink during skiing but they do have very fancy drinks, drink people proclaim the shit. 

Empire has the Veuve tent, their ski school is the bestest, they have an oyster and tuna tartare at the top of the gondy on the Jordanelle side. That's what DV is all about and if that's your thing nobody does it better but Pow Mow is chicken tendies and rusty pick up but both are worth your time.........but not the mint LOL 

All of this is true. PowMow for no frills great skiing, DV to get a taste of living life as @AtomicSkier

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, toast21602 said:

I’ve been to them all and they all are worthy of a visit for different reasons. Let’s chat this weekend.

I’ve skied most of them. They’re all great. It’s great to have such a variety. 

I’ll be in SLC from tomorrow through the end of the month, at least. I’ll have more intel and will post some trip reports in the next week. Really looking forward to the short drive to ski.

If you decide to do Utah in January - let me know. I have some parking reservations set & ikon friend / family discount passes that might help.

Just to throw in a few cents, also having skied most of them and to spark conversation...

Not that I think @saltyant isn't up for it and it's probably THE mountain to SKI when in Utah, but IMO without having someone who really knows Alta, I know he wouldn't get the full effect going there by himself.  Before running with a guide with @tarponhead and not really knowing the mountain, it can feel small mainly because you're not off the beaten path where the goods reside.
I kinda don't see Salty running the high traverse all the way out or hiking out to the Castles or Catharine's area.
It's really not a mountain for just groomer cruising, as that's not what it's about.

I think he'd be far better served at any/all the others, particularly DV, PC/C for those wide open, perfect snow trails.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Salty, you will enjoy Park City more than snowbird 

your to do list should be in this order:

1. Park City/Cantons

2. solitude

3. brighton

4. snow basin

5. Pow mow

Thanks! I will keep this list. I think doing Park City first would be grate, since I'd like to check out the town and start at the most bitch-ass (according to PASR standards) place first and then get to the more radical mountains later on. Like I discussed with people today, I typically like to stay at one mountain per trip, but this time I think it would be fun to do a ski-fari like @GrilledSteezeSandwich to sample different mountains and see what I like best.

I checked into Pow Mow and will consider it, though it's a bit out of the way (but of course better for less crowds).

Edited by saltyant

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Thanks! I will keep this list. I think doing Park City first would be grate, since I'd like to check out the town and start at the most bitch-ass (according to PASR standards) place first and then get to the more radical mountains later on. Like I discussed with people today, I typically like to stay at one mountain per trip, but this time I think it would be fun to do a ski-fari like @GrilledSteezeSandwich to sample different mountains and see what I like best.

I checked into Pow Mow and will consider it, though it's a bit out of the way (but of course better for less crowds).

Don’t get me wrong, snowbird is great.  However, I’d think you’d enjoy the places I listed in that order.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks for the Tag??  

• Thanks 1