Mounting Bindings

mikes781

Anyone mount their own bindings? Picked up a new pair of skis this week and was interested in learning to do it myself. Been reading a up on TGR and a few other places. I’m fairly handy and it seems pretty straight forward with proper tools, patience and care. Measure, measure again and measure again before drilling. That being said I don’t want to f up a brand new pair of skis. Am I underestimating the difficulty?

"proper tools" is pretty open ended. I've mounted plenty of pairs of skis, and you can definitely do it yourself with a regular drill bit, a paper template, and measuring, measuring again, then measuring again to triple check. That said, it is about 10x easier if you've got a jig and a stepped or collared bit. What kinda skis and what kinda bindings?

I don't really have any great photos, unfortunately, but I recently repaired a binding that stripped out of my ski. Holes were already heli-coiled, so I bought a set of Quiver Killer rescue inserts, drilled out the old crappy holes and set the inserts with 24hr epoxy. The heel piece now screws in to the inserts with machine screws, the same way a snowboard binding does.

• Like 1

Thanks they are Stockli Stormriders with head attack 2 13 gw bindings. I was going to pick up the correct size stepped bit, 4.1 x 9 mm, center punch, and a tap for the metal topsheet. I have a good set of digital calipers to mark out the centerline and a drill press. I did find the correct paper template and was able to print it to scale. Doesn’t seem like you can just but a jig? I’ve came up empty in my search for one unless I want to spring for one of those jigarex’s and plate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikes781 said:

Thanks they are Stockli Stormriders with head attack 2 13 gw bindings. I was going to pick up the correct size stepped bit, 4.1 x 9 mm, center punch, and a tap for the metal topsheet. I have a good set of digital calipers to mark out the centerline and a drill press. I did find the correct paper template and was able to print it to scale. Doesn’t seem like you can just but a jig? I’ve came up empty in my search for one unless I want to spring for one of those jigarex’s and plate.

Do people actually bother with the tap?  I'm pretty sure when Justo mounted a pair of my skis with a metal topsheet, no tap was used and they've held up fine over the years.

You’re fine, have at it. It’s easy, just use the paper template. If you’re worried about it drill a 2x4 with the paper template and mount the bindings to it to ensure everything is correct before drilling the skis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Sounds like you've got your tools in order. In my experience, tap is not 100% necessary, but it makes the job easier if you have it, and less likely to run into problems. I have Look/Rossi jigs that I got from Nestors when we closed up shop. Anything other than those, and pivots on skis wider than 100mm, I've either done freehand with paper templates, or used the PX/Axial2 jig for the toe holes, and have sometimes had access to a drill press to make things a little more precise which is nice. Quiver Killer inserts were done freehand, and I definitely could have been a little more precise with the verticality of one of the holes, but it still worked fine in the end.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here’s a dumb binding question.  I’m looking at buying a pair of used skis that are already mounted with bindings for a boot with a bsl of 315.  My boot is 316.  Basically the same thing and I’m good to go or does it have to be the exact same?

51 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

Here’s a dumb binding question.  I’m looking at buying a pair of used skis that are already mounted with bindings for a boot with a bsl of 315.  My boot is 316.  Basically the same thing and I’m good to go or does it have to be the exact same?

Almost , Should be easy to adjust ,also check toe adjustment . Look online for install instructions from the manufacturer 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NMSKI said:

Your good to go, most bindings adjust a full size, pivots are 3/4 maybe a full size.  Obviously it depends on where in the adjustment they were mounted but 1mm isn't even measurable in alot of bindings. 

Forward pressure on pivots is notoriously a feel thing and even with like a screw world cup plate setup and a machine the values don't change much until you get to like no forward pressure or you can't get the boot in.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others have said, the forward pressure difference of 1mm should be a non-issue. RE: toe adjustment, you'll only have to deal with that for salomon driver-style (S/STH bindings) or shift bindings. As far as I can remember, there aren't any other alpine bindings on the market that have any sort of toe adjustment. Happy to check em out for ya if you've got em by this weekend and we cross paths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

As others have said, the forward pressure difference of 1mm should be a non-issue. RE: toe adjustment, you'll only have to deal with that for salomon driver-style (S/STH bindings) or shift bindings. As far as I can remember, there aren't any other alpine bindings on the market that have any sort of toe adjustment. Happy to check em out for ya if you've got em by this weekend and we cross paths.

Thanks!  Shipping today so keeping my fingers crossed they will be here by the weekend.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You have a workshop with lots of stickers.  Badass.  

26 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

That’s not his…

Correct, those were the pics the guy sent me.  I like stickers but I don't have a fancy workshop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Fuuuuck dude that ski has been on my list for awhile and with the Forza colored clamps. 

If it doesn't bother you I'd love to take a run on them sometime.

Bert always shares his skis with Ernie.  I think I'll have them on Sunday.  

• Like 5
  • Boner City 1

11 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

Bert always shares his skis with Ernie.  I think I'll have them on Sunday.  

Sweeeeet! I've almost pulled the trigger on them like 4 times but I don't know a single person who has a pair. 

Bert is mad appreciative ! 

4 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

@JFskiDan has a pair of something special you can try out too

I can't wait, I've never skied bedazzled skis and imagine the trenches

• Haha 1