Where are you spending your relief money?

trackbiker

OK. All of you people who are still collecting a paycheck. Where are you spending your relief money? I was thinking about that this weekend and am looking for the best way to help local people and businesses. The whole idea of the money is to spur the economy. So i think the right thing to do is use it for people who are out of work.  I would like to keep it local as well. So I'm not planning on using it for online purchases. I like eating in restaurants but I'm not much of a take-out guy. I drop off groceries a couple times a year at a local food bank. Instead of groceries I think I'll just give them some money. They know better than me what they need. Any other ideas?

• Like 3

Definitely following this for ideas. My wife and I had this conversation last night. We selfishly want to support the establishments that we utilize during this, but I know there are still more people out there who need support. Thanks for starting this thread. Great idea.

Didn't get a check yet and not sure if I will but still trying to be a good citizen since my wife and I are still earning paychecks.  

I've continued paying mine and my kids' monthly dues to our jiu jitsu gym even though its been closed for the last month and a half and will not be opening back up any time soon.  If other members don't do the same they'll be forced to shut down for sure and its a local business, just a guy and his wife that run it.  I'm also trying to track down my barber so I can venmo him a couple hundy.  My wife is planning on donating some $$ to the local food bank since she heard they are hurting.  

I'd be lying if i said I wasn't saving a little extra too, though, since all of our transportation, eating out, travel and leisure expenses have vanished.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Unfortunately a lot of it is being saved since we just had our hot water heater replaced a few weeks ago.  I've been ordering take out occasionally and stuff from the fly shops I buy from just to support them a bit.  I'll  donate some to the United Way of Berks County and they can redistribute as needed.  

16 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Unfortunately a lot of it is being saved since we just had our hot water heater replaced a few weeks ago.  I've been ordering take out occasionally and stuff from the fly shops I buy from just to support them a bit.  I'll  donate some to the United Way of Berks County and they can redistribute as needed.  

What is a good local fishing shop?  My son wants me to get him his own setup now that he's pumped on fishing and I'd rather buy local than just order shit on Amazon.  

I think we are getting a partial check.  Mostly due to my wife not working for almost 6 months last year. What ever we do get we'll just put into our joint account.  I ApplePay'd my barber for my next 3 haircuts two weeks ago.  He offered to come to my home and cut it in my driveway but I told him it could wait.  I'll probably just crew cut if it ever gets warm.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

Didn't get a check yet and not sure if I will but still trying to be a good citizen since my wife and I are still earning paychecks.  

I've continued paying mine and my kids' monthly dues to our jiu jitsu gym even though its been closed for the last month and a half and will not be opening back up any time soon.  If other members don't do the same they'll be forced to shut down for sure and its a local business, just a guy and his wife that run it.  I'm also trying to track down my barber so I can venmo him a couple hundy.  My wife is planning on donating some $$ to the local food bank since she heard they are hurting.  

I'd be lying if i said I wasn't saving a little extra too, though, since all of our transportation, eating out, travel and leisure expenses have vanished.  

I've been paying my cleaning people.  They've missed two cleaning because of the lockdown, and one prior to that because I had just gotten back from Switzerland and was self quarantining.  They were beyond happy.  I can't say the same though...I hate cleaning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RootDKJ said:

I think we are getting a partial check.  Mostly due to my wife not working for almost 6 months last year. What ever we do get we'll just put into our joint account.  I ApplePay'd my barber for my next 3 haircuts two weeks ago.  He offered to come to my home and cut it in my driveway but I told him it could wait.  I'll probably just crew cut if it ever gets warm.

I cut my own hair on Friday 🤷‍♂️ It looks the same as when I get a haircut at the barber, but cleanup was a mess, so whatever I spend at the barber is money well spent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

I cut my own hair on Friday 🤷‍♂️ It looks the same as when I get a haircut at the barber, but cleanup was a mess, so whatever I spend at the barber is money well spent.

I hate cleaning shit up.  If I crew cut it, I'll do it outside for sure and just clean up with a hose.

11 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

What is a good local fishing shop?  My son wants me to get him his own setup now that he's pumped on fishing and I'd rather buy local than just order shit on Amazon.  

Gordon's Sports Supply near Marsh Creek is good.  I haven't been there in forever, but I used to hang out with Chris and Thom Gordon.  They're good guys and pretty knowledgeable with local fishing.

https://www.gordonssportssupply.com/

Sport Fishing Outlet in Norristown is supposed to be good.  Never been there, but I've heard they're good, and looks like they may be open for curbside pickup

https://www.facebook.com/SFOtackleshop/

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

24 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

My son and I are "wolfing it" big time.  I think the clippers are coming out this weekend.  

24 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

We have driveway resurface booked with a local asphalt guy (long overdue) but the guy can't schedule anything, anywhere until he's allowed to. His business is taking a hit for sure. So that's where ours will likely go.

We need to have this done too.  I'm scared to find out how much its going to cost.  

We need to have this done too.  I'm scared to find out how much its going to cost.  

Whatever you do be sure to get estimates from multiple places. I got conflicting stories about what should or shouldn't be done from the various folks that visited. Prices were literally thousands of dollars apart at times.
  • Thanks 1