Will this be the future of skiing in PA?

Old Geezer

• 3 months later...

A very interesting insight posted on Elk's website in the last day or two, until they get a go ahead from state authorities -- on a reopening plan -- they do not know how skiing will work this season. I'm paraphrasing but the full posting is attached.

I find this very interesting in comparison to other Eastern PA ski hills, JF/BB, Blue, etc, all of which would have us believe reopening is full steam ahead, in that they have make public no such insights on state-level approvals of reopening plans or other restrictions.

Are we all assuming too much, normal reopenings are a given for 2020/2021 maybe with some social distancing in the mix?

1303689429_ElkWebsiteSep092020-Copy.thumb.JPG.d0b994176f98c68e83a8ff281e01bdb6.JPG

• Like 1

i read somewhere else recently that Elk didnt know if they were going to open this season or not.  I forget exactly how it was phrased, but it was like if they couldnt operate 100%, they werent going to operate at all.  Take that as you may, fact or fiction.  Its probably true that none of the PA resorts have gotten specific guidelines from the state yet, and are assuming some things based on how some other businesses are operating.  I see no reason why with proper guidelines, a ski resort would not be allowed to operate.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Someone pointed out the message on Elk's website has changed slightly, no more mention of the governor, presentation and response.

As if the Governor was sitting at his desk, reads through Elk's plan and said yes, this is ok open the lodge and spin those lifts!

20Sep2020:

532464329_ElkWebsiteSep202020-Copy.thumb.JPG.ad9dbbac645a5d16406d2d80343c0bd8.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
Someone pointed out the message on Elk's website has changed slightly, no more mention of the governor, presentation and response.
As if the Governor was sitting at his desk, reads through Elk's plan and said yes, this is ok open the lodge and spin those lifts!
20Sep2020:
532464329_ElkWebsiteSep202020-Copy.thumb.JPG.ad9dbbac645a5d16406d2d80343c0bd8.JPG

This could be the short term future for many ski areas, especially those owned by the large companies that want to mitigate bad press. I know that Sugarbush is looking strongly at cracking down on any part time employees or volunteers that are coming from red counties. Unless Covid rates slow down, I might not be able to patrol this year at all. I doubt I’ll be able to quarantine for 2 weeks and then patrol.

2 hours ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

This could be the short term future for many ski areas, especially those owned by the large companies that want to mitigate bad press. I know that Sugarbush is looking strongly at cracking down on any part time employees or volunteers that are coming from red counties. Unless Covid rates slow down, I might not be able to patrol this year at all. I doubt I’ll be able to quarantine for 2 weeks and then patrol.

They should just administer rapid tests.  If you get your patrol director to write you a letter, I’m sure you can get free passes at Blue and ride with us. 

They should just administer rapid tests.  If you get your patrol director to write you a letter, I’m sure you can get free passes at Blue and ride with us. 

That might be the only reasonable option in a year filled with unexpected events and illogical decisions being made...