Elk Sold

rummy

15 hours ago, trackbiker said:

I find it kind of hard to believe that Kalahari bought it. It doesn't make any sense based on their current businesses. I would think another ski area operator would make more sense. But then I've been wrong plenty of times in the past.

I've been thinking the same as I read through all of this. 
What do the owners of Kalahari know about owning/operating a ski resort and why would they want to?
Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me that they'd buy Elk.

2 hours ago, indiggio said:

I've been thinking the same as I read through all of this. 
What do the owners of Kalahari know about owning/operating a ski resort and why would they want to?
Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me that they'd buy Elk.

i will agree its odd for them to buy it as a stand alone deal.  

At this point, like Rummy mentioned, it is  a rumor.  But is there enough undeveloped land to build hotel, waterpark, etc?  Kalahari West?  I have always heard Elk and their neighbors like to fight, i cant imagine a hotel and waterpark will go over big with the neighbors.  

i went to kalahari once in April a few years ago for breakfast.  i would have imagined that the middle of April would be sort of a off peak time......place was jammed.  That place is killing it (for now) and from what i saw, its run like a well oiled machine.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been almost two weeks and no mention of this anywhere other than here.  If if were true we should at least expect to hear some of the parties to the transaction crowing about it, press releases to local news media, etc.  In a small community like Susquehanna County property transactions like this simply will not stay secret.

Back in the military days this was called an unsubstantiated rumor, or the more commonly used acronym BS.

Edited by Old Geezer

15 minutes ago, Old Geezer said:

It's been almost two weeks and no mention of this anywhere other than here.  If if were true we should at least expect to hear some of the parties to the transaction crowing about it, press releases to local news media, etc.  In a small community like Susquehanna County property transactions like this simply will not stay secret.

Back in the military days this was called an unsubstantiated rumor, or the more commonly used acronym BS.

Rummy knows..Old Geezer do you ever ski blue mountain??

20 hours ago, rummy said:

I agree with OG. Probably BS my reliable source is now considered "unreliable".....

After rereading through this my intent was not to slam Rummy himself with the bs label. The rumor however ....

This does sound like something that keeps the conversation and the drinks flowing at the local ski bar.

3 hours ago, rummy said:

Elk just announced on their Facebook site, that the Fall Festival is cancelled this year. AND the Kalahari purchase  rumor is just that Fake News.....

Obviously the kalahari rumor was bigger than just being discussed here. 

• 1 month later...
I was excited when I thought this was real. Waiting on new owners before I drive that far again. Great mountain but if I can ride trees at blue which is half the distance, there really isn’t a reason to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically you can ride trees at Blue but let's be honest...does a few turns on Blue Baumer before ducking out count as riding trees?

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

Technically you can ride trees at Blue but let's be honest...does a few turns on Blue Baumer before ducking out count as riding trees?

i doubt i rode the luge ride Blue calls trees last year even once.  Applaud the effort, but with our freeze thaw cycles, they are usually really firm, or dust on crust.  Now, a nice heavy snow, then a freeze, then a few light snows on top of that, and there is a whole new playground.  God, that was so long ago.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i doubt i rode the luge ride Blue calls trees last year even once.  Applaud the effort, but with our freeze thaw cycles, they are usually really firm, or dust on crust.  Now, a nice heavy snow, then a freeze, then a few light snows on top of that, and there is a whole new playground.  God, that was so long ago.  

Most days last year it looked shiny. I ducked in there one time for about 3 turns and popped right back out. 

52 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

It also only snowed 3" last year. That definitely does not help.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let me rephrase then...
I can go to many hills in PA that get dog shit for snow, that have some sort of marked glades.

Elk generally gets snow needed for a hill in pa to have some marked glades, and it sure as hell has the terrain for it, yet it’s not allowed.

Kind of like snorkeling being illegal in Florida where the water is clear, but jersey beaches allowing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1