Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

Seems like Magic has put some thought and time into how this might work this season  

MAGIC MOUNTAIN SKI AREA FIRST IN THE NORTHEAST TO OFFER A DETAILED PREVIEW OF NEXT SEASON
As Geoff Hatheway stresses in this preview, "NOTHING IS SET IN STONE", but this is their best guess and current plan as is. Notable are the following:
Daily capacity will be limited to 50% of hourly uphill lift capacity. That means 1,700 people per day.
Lodge capacity will be limited to 25% of rated capacity, which is about 200 people.
Passholders will have the first opportunity to reserve spots before they become available to the general public for day ticket purchases.
Additional outdoor spaces will be prepared as indoor space will be limited, especially on weekends.
Things like picnic tables and outdoor heaters are likely.
There are no plans to raise day ticket prices, in fact, season passes were already discounted.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Seems like Magic has put some thought and time into how this might work this season  

MAGIC MOUNTAIN SKI AREA FIRST IN THE NORTHEAST TO OFFER A DETAILED PREVIEW OF NEXT SEASON
As Geoff Hatheway stresses in this preview, "NOTHING IS SET IN STONE", but this is their best guess and current plan as is. Notable are the following:
Daily capacity will be limited to 50% of hourly uphill lift capacity. That means 1,700 people per day.
Lodge capacity will be limited to 25% of rated capacity, which is about 200 people.
Passholders will have the first opportunity to reserve spots before they become available to the general public for day ticket purchases.
Additional outdoor spaces will be prepared as indoor space will be limited, especially on weekends.
Things like picnic tables and outdoor heaters are likely.
There are no plans to raise day ticket prices, in fact, season passes were already discounted.

I like this. I anticipate seeing much more of this over the next few months as the 20/21 skison approaches. I'm concerned about the ticket reservation thing since I sometimes just go when I feel like going. I'll just reserve a ticket every day if I need to 🤷‍♂️

"This 2020/2021 Winter Season Pass is for all ages 6-69 years old, NO Blackout dates or Restrictions."

I won't be happy if I have to reserve a spot. God knows what the restrictions are. Ex:

How many days can one reserve at a time?
How far in advance can reservations be made?
Are only N reservation slots allowed for season ticket holders? 
What is the cutoff time for making a reservation?
Must reservations be made for specific times of day?

No.

Edited by Benm
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I like this. I anticipate seeing much more of this over the next few months as the 20/21 skison approaches. I'm concerned about the ticket reservation thing since I sometimes just go when I feel like going. I'll just reserve a ticket every day if I need to 🤷‍♂️

Agree, i am sure there will be a lot more of these announcements to come.  And the reservation thing bugs me as well, i mean, i pretty much know i will ski every Sat and Sun.  But what is to prevent people from doing a reservation everyday, but only showing up when they really want to?  This would hurt both sides of the party.  Theres a lot to work out, but i think its really important that Mtns start putting this out.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Benm said:

"This 2020/2021 Winter Season Pass is for all ages 6-69 years old, NO Blackout dates or Restrictions."

I won't be happy if I have to reserve a spot. God knows what the restrictions are. Ex:

No.

This a good point.  It’s screenshot time (actually I think my receipt says no restrictions)

4 minutes ago, Benm said:

No.

Theres really no sense in getting your panties all in a bunch just yet, unless you plan on skiing magic mountain.  

I would anticipate at least some type of hoop that us passholders will have to go through, i just hope Blue recognizes passholders (many year after year) as having some type of privilege over people purchasing day passes.  

3 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Agree, i am sure there will be a lot more of these announcements to come.  And the reservation thing bugs me as well, i mean, i pretty much know i will ski every Sat and Sun.  But what is to prevent people from doing a reservation everyday, but only showing up when they really want to?  This would hurt both sides of the party.  Theres a lot to work out, but i think its really important that Mtns start putting this out.  

Yeah. Regardless of whatever decision Blue makes, or whatever the home mountain is, people are going to complain. This is just going to be a season that we will have to live with no matter what the decisions are for pass holders. 

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Yeah. Regardless of whatever decision Blue makes, or whatever the home mountain is, people are going to complain. This is just going to be a season that we will have to live with no matter what the decisions are for pass holders. 

Exactly.  Even though our pass says unlimited, i am sure we are going to be restricted somewhat.  We can get all up in arms about it, or just go ahead and deal with it the best we can.  This will be a season like no other.  nobody has the playbook for skiing when a pandemic comes to town.  

I will tell you this.  IMO some skiing, is going to be better than no skiing.  It will be a loooonnngggg winter for me without strapping some skis to my feet with you fuckers every once and a while.  

• Like 6

Exactly.  Even though our pass says unlimited, i am sure we are going to be restricted somewhat.  We can get all up in arms about it, or just go ahead and deal with it the best we can.  This will be a season like no other.  nobody has the playbook for skiing when a pandemic comes to town.  
I will tell you this.  IMO some skiing, is going to be better than no skiing.  It will be a loooonnngggg winter for me without strapping some skis to my feet with you fuckers every once and a while.  

Yep.

We can break out the pass verbiage all we want but if there are state requirements in place for social distancing wouldn't that override whatever language is on the receipt? Blue doesn't want to limit anything. They're a business and want to make money. If (when) they do limit capacity or whatever I have to think it's because they're required to not because it's in their best interest.

It’s hard enough getting a tee time this year at a place that sees maybe 1% of the amount of visitors a ski resort would, can imagine what it would be like if you had to reserve tickets. 

I could see it going two ways, it’ll deter the Jerry’s from going OR it’s going to be impossible to reserve a ticket because everyone and their mother will be trying to get tickets  

• Like 1

A good read here. Season Pass holders only at Blue would be incredible. It would never happen but one can dream. Automatic sanitization in gondolas seems cool too.
https://snowbrains.com/what-will-skiing-look-like-in-the-2020-21-covid19-season/

In other countries that have coped better with COVID19, ski resorts have reopened for the season and are setting the example for what to expect when we finally get back on the slopes. Major resorts in Australia and New Zealand have been the first to prepare to reopen, but with significant restrictions to their operations. One of the most significant changes is that many resorts such as Perisher, Coronet Peak, Mt. Hudd, and the Remarkables, have limited their number of guests by only allowing season pass holders or resort members to ski; same-day tickets are not available. In addition and as expected, chairlifts and gondolas can only be shared by members of the same household, or if they are large enough to seat people 6ft apart. Of course, significant sanitization policies are also in place and food options are limited and often only available to takeout.

Many new technologies are being tested in an attempt to advance the reopening process, including thermal cameras being used to check people’s temperatures in Chamonix, France, an automated system to sanitize gondolas in between rides, and trackable lift passes used in New Zealand to trace possible exposure to the virus between guests. With resorts being forced to operate at 50% or even 25% capacity, it is likely that we will see even more new systems being used in the coming months in an attempt to safely allow more people back on the slopes for the 2020/21 season.

Almost all Northern Hemisphere resorts have not made any conclusive statements about the coming season, but many have affirmed that they are planning to open, even if they are forced to have a lower capacity and many restrictions in place. There are still lots of questions left to be answered, like how rental services will operate, what refunds will be available, and even if smaller resorts will be able to sustain the economic impact of COVID19, but like most other issues that have been on our minds lately, only time will tell how the world will adapt and overcome these immense challenges.

16 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

But what is to prevent people from doing a reservation everyday, but only showing up when they really want to? 

Magic's policy is that you have to pay when you make the reservation. Don't know how that works with pass holders though. Maybe a refundable deposit that is forfeited if you don't show up?

One potential move could be to make the season passholder lanes at the quad and 6 pack be the only gates that we can use. Keep passholders away from the general public, maybe put up more robust ropes to keep us to the side or something like that.