Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

45 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I'd be shocked if I'm not rebooking my flight and heading out much sooner than December. Pretty much on standby right now with the way covid is surging on campus. I'll get to Snowbowl at some point.

It all depends on how risk averse the school is. University of Alabama has 1200+ cases on campus and is still going strong whereas Temple shut down the rest of the semester with 212 cases. 

It all depends on how risk averse the school is. University of Alabama has 1200+ cases on campus and is still going strong whereas Temple shut down the rest of the semester with 212 cases. 

Well for me its a $$ issue right now. Nothing is open... they're essentially holed up in their dorm rooms taking virtual classes. They can't go anywhere, meet anyone etc. Gyms are closed. Rec center is closed, no sports. The school will (as I understand it) offer some sort of rebate if she were to leave by a certain date (need to call them today). If that's the case then it may be time if it means you can do the same thing at home while saving quadruple digits.

2 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Well for me its a $$ issue right now. Nothing is open... they're essentially holed up in their dorm rooms taking virtual classes. They can't go anywhere, meet anyone etc. Gyms are closed. Rec center is closed, no sports. The school will (as I understand it) offer some sort of rebate if she were to leave by a certain date (need to call them today). If that's the case then it may be time if it means you can do the same thing at home while saving quadruple digits.

Hopefully things settle down there for her or at least start to improve so she can have a somewhat normal spring semester. Opening large schools that have a massive geographic representation is always going to be super risky. I'm not surprised they did, but this outcome could have been predicted pretty easily. Luckily at my school we are smaller and have a much more local student representation. We have not had any cases to date, but I'm sure that will change since we are only two weeks in.

11 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Oh well then it's a no brainer. Go get her, enjoy some hiking and write a TR! 

Hopefully things settle down there for her or at least start to improve so she can have a somewhat normal spring semester. Opening large schools that have a massive geographic representation is always going to be super risky. I'm not surprised they did, but this outcome could have been predicted pretty easily. Luckily at my school we are smaller and have a much more local student representation. We have not had any cases to date, but I'm sure that will change since we are only two weeks in.

She doesn't want to go back if it's the same in spring. She'd rather do virtual from home. Problem is the school doesn't appear to be 100% transparent with some of these things. No way to know the rec center is closed until you go to the rec center and see it's locked type of thing.

Just spoke with them and there is a rebate.

5 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

She doesn't want to go back if it's the same in spring. She'd rather do virtual from home. Problem is the school doesn't appear to be 100% transparent with some of these things. No way to know the rec center is closed until you go to the rec center and see it's locked type of thing.

Just spoke with them and there is a rebate.

Simple things like open communication can make difficult situations like this so much easier for students and their families. Even though I'm sure there are things that they don't know yet regarding the future, the lack of transparency sounds frustrating. 

• Like 2