Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

On 8/30/2020 at 1:43 PM, RidgeRacer said:

The gondola changed everything at Belle. It's skis bigger.

I'll be in AZ a lot for the foreseeable future RidetheFirstStatetoSignthe DeclarationofIndependance. My kid goes to school there. AZ is awesome so all good there.

I loved Az. Always wanted to ski the Snowbowl, then the kid moved to Atlanta. Yuck. 

• Like 1

Was she there all summer, or just returned back to school, now it’s closing?

Has been there almost a month. Technically they aren't closed but nothing is open on campus. No clubs (she wanted to join a few). Virtully no in person classes. No sports. No Rec center, gym or pool. A lot of food places are closed. Dining hall is open but they can't eat there... need to get food and bring it back to her dorm. She's now down to one in person class that is in the same building as her dorm. They're starting to gate things up as the COVID numbers on campus are surging. They're doing random covid tests and told them that they should prepare to stock up and hunker down for 14 days. She tells me kids are leaving every day. The on campus student population is about 15% to 20% of what it normally is so it's a ghost town. Meanwhile we're paying full price for this. Spring semester at this point looks to be the same. They'll give a her a prorated refund on housing so the sooner I get her back the better at this point.
  • Sad 2

Holy cow, where to ski this season??

American resorts went bonkers with their reservation system. Suuure, buy a pass before 07/14, and if you can't use it, we'll allow to carry it over to 2021. Flights and hotels are all your problem. Yeah, you window paying suckers, not only will we ask for $200 to stand in ever long lines while chairs are leaving half empty, but we'll roll a dice before admitting you, because there is a herd of pass-holders who can't wait to justify their passes in 3-4 visits, and they all have a priority. Do these Vail/Alterra monsters have a feedback form somewhere? I'll suggest to raise window prices to $400, so that most folks will sleep soundly thinking that their pass will pay for itself in less than two visits, almost in one. Plus, should they decide to close again, it's psychologically easier go over "less than two" missed visits than a whole blown season. Brilliant. Totally lost touch with reality.

I like someone's idea here about going to Brighton and also stopping by three other resorts nearby. But will he be able to, with his single odd tickets, on the days he wants/planned/reserved?

European resorts appear to be all out of reach to US citizens. If before I was just envying those EU passport holders who after a short brake on the runway continued their flight through the automated passport control while I had to stand in a long line, right now I'm borderline hating them for not having to procure any reason to cross into Italy, Austria, France or whatever.

Even local skiing is screwed. CB asking to pay for parking?? Go to hell. PSAA school ski passes suspended for this season. Pocono Cards likely following the suit thereby making it more $$ visiting places of other color or just taking someone along to Blue. I bet even Blue's triple cards will not be available. Yeah, go ahead, look into your crystal ball and reserve your visit month in advance. No? Well, window price then! That is if we have any windows open, because, you know, COVID...

And btw, good luck with thinking that New Yorkers or New Jerseyans will sit the season out and there will not be mile-long lines at Blue because of fears of COVID. Nobody fears COVID in real life except for government and businesses that were forced to fear it. People take their masks off the moment they're not forced to wear them, and radio stations are actually calling to everybody to revolt. So the first snowflakes fall, they'll all just say: "Screw you, Murphy, I'm going skiing!"

But where to ski and how??

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Shitty senior year and now a crap college experience. It sucks.

That does suck dude.  A lot of wasted time and energy just to have her back virtual after a month.  College should be experienced in person, but it sounds like the most boring situation ever, with everything around closed.  It must be like living in a hotel room.  

25 minutes ago, eaf said:

And btw, good luck with thinking that New Yorkers or New Jerseyans will sit the season out and there will not be mile-long lines at Blue because of fears of COVID. Nobody fears COVID in real life except for government and businesses that were forced to fear it. People take their masks off the moment they're not forced to wear them, and radio stations are actually calling to everybody to revolt. So the first snowflakes fall, they'll all just say: "Screw you, Murphy, I'm going skiing!"

I’ve been saying this for months and instead of engaging in rational debates like adults, people talk shit, hate, and post false articles and stats. I think their wealth is blinding them to how the real world actually works

That does suck dude.  A lot of wasted time and energy just to have her back virtual after a month.  College should be experienced in person, but it sounds like the most boring situation ever, with everything around closed.  It must be like living in a hotel room.  

Good analogy. That's how it is unfortunately. I'm taking her to the grand canyon and on a hike or two before we fly home. She needs to get the hell out of her room.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eaf said:

Holy cow, where to ski this season??

American resorts went bonkers with their reservation system. Suuure, buy a pass before 07/14, and if you can't use it, we'll allow to carry it over to 2021. Flights and hotels are all your problem. Yeah, you window paying suckers, not only will we ask for $200 to stand in ever long lines while chairs are leaving half empty, but we'll roll a dice before admitting you, because there is a herd of pass-holders who can't wait to justify their passes in 3-4 visits, and they all have a priority. Do these Vail/Alterra monsters have a feedback form somewhere? I'll suggest to raise window prices to $400, so that most folks will sleep soundly thinking that their pass will pay for itself in less than two visits, almost in one. Plus, should they decide to close again, it's psychologically easier go over "less than two" missed visits than a whole blown season. Brilliant. Totally lost touch with reality.

I like someone's idea here about going to Brighton and also stopping by three other resorts nearby. But will he be able to, with his single odd tickets, on the days he wants/planned/reserved?

European resorts appear to be all out of reach to US citizens. If before I was just envying those EU passport holders who after a short brake on the runway continued their flight through the automated passport control while I had to stand in a long line, right now I'm borderline hating them for not having to procure any reason to cross into Italy, Austria, France or whatever.

Even local skiing is screwed. CB asking to pay for parking?? Go to hell. PSAA school ski passes suspended for this season. Pocono Cards likely following the suit thereby making it more $$ visiting places of other color or just taking someone along to Blue. I bet even Blue's triple cards will not be available. Yeah, go ahead, look into your crystal ball and reserve your visit month in advance. No? Well, window price then! That is if we have any windows open, because, you know, COVID...

Great to have the ever optimistic Eaf back. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Brighton seeing some white stuff. I haven't been following the stoke markets, but it appears that they should be rising.

119048887_10164141614340187_2594352566871314618_o.thumb.jpg.ea79f780de5e068e919cf6a9fd1de180.jpg

Hopefully Im there is 3 months.... but chances of legitimately being able to make the trip seems slimmer as the days go by.  I guess a lot will depend on how the reservation or capacity limits work.  I've already flown a few places for work over the last few months and as long as Im willing to avoid certain areas/places due to crowding I feel safe.  There were a few places in KC that I wanted to eat but I showed up and quickly went somewhere us due to crowds.  (luckily Delta is still stating that they will keep the middle seats empty until 2021.. from what i've seen/heard the airlines have not been so kind/careful)

Edited by pcklein31
  • Like 1

I have an electrical engineer friend who, apparently is the only person in the country, that has the knowledge and experience to repair a certain complicated automotive carpet manufacturing machine. He has been flying all throughout this pandemic. Speaking with him last week he said airports were deserted earlier but are getting busier as time goes on. He also said he will only fly Delta as their planes are only booked half full, and says he avoids American, if at all possible, as they're a SH$%T Show...way overbooked.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Good time to be a season passholder at JH then.  the article stated that anyone who has purchased would have unlimited access without making a reservation.  

I think its a strong play by the Mt.  They have probably sold a bunch, and maybe the majority have already purchased.  So on to selling day tickets, which in turn, should net them more $$ than more season pass sales. it will also help for people planning trips to JH, get tickets rather than be absorbed by season pass holders.  Be interesting to see how the Ikon thing is handled.  Locals are always so accommodatin to the Ikon.   This is gonna be a fucked up year for everyone.  I am glad the news hasnt been filled with headlines about resorts not opening at all.  Yeah, some patrons might get screwed, maybe people will have to make reservations, but i feel all and all, skiers are a hearty bunch, i mean, who else gets up at the crack of dawn to go outside when its cold and snowing? 

The mountains will be getting screwed all season by this.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Barb said:

Wow no tailgating allowed. 

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

I feel like every resort is holding out on how to deal with Ikon passholders.......like nobody wants to be the first to announce they are getting the shaft in all of this.  

i'm sure there are some contractual obligations they have to carefully dance around.

7 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

I feel like every resort is holding out on how to deal with Ikon passholders.......like nobody wants to be the first to announce they are getting the shaft in all of this.  

killington's plans seem pretty favorable for someone hoping to have an ikonic season. 

Early season skiing and riding will be limited to passholders and Ikon passholders.

https://vtskiandride.com/killington-announces-opening-day-2021-season-plan/

On 8/30/2020 at 11:38 AM, Ride Delaware ? said:

For crowds to be dispersed, the gondola may be necessary, but without the gondola, I think you just have to ski it like before. Rely on the Superchief, Lift 7, and Tomahawk. It’s annoying having to transfer multiple lifts and not be completely high speed, but it is workable. I haven’t been since they installed it, so it could ski differently than before. Have crowds increased since ORDA took over and offered a 3 pass? I haven’t kept up on NY Ski Blog. He usually posts those numbers at the end of the year.

Here’s those numbers. Last years haven’t been posted yet.

https://nyskiblog.com/orda-skier-visits/

We updated this tonight from the annual report. ORDA is inconsistent in how they report numbers and this year gave no revenue for any of the mountains.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

killington's plans seem pretty favorable for someone hoping to have an ikonic season. 

https://vtskiandride.com/killington-announces-opening-day-2021-season-plan/

Interesting.  Part of me thinks they are trying to lure in the Ikonics to get them to burn up their days in the early season, but im probably just reading to far into it.  I would assume for the unlimited resorts, its just like having a season pass from the mountain.  If not, oh boy, popcorn time. Its just gonna be interesting how this all plays out.  I think JH shutting down season pass sales was a brilliant move on their part.  One would have to assume the most profitable ticket they sell is a day pass.  So, at least they have some money coming in, where as the season pass money has come in a while back.  Not sure where Ikon falls in the profitability department for a resort, but i would imagine its pretty low.  Its just interesting other than K, nobody is saying much about it.  

seems like discount lift tickets could be no more.  Unless of course off peak days dont get filled to capacity......what ever that is.  

Interesting.  Part of me thinks they are trying to lure in the Ikonics to get them to burn up their days in the early season, but im probably just reading to far into it.  I would assume for the unlimited resorts, its just like having a season pass from the mountain.  If not, oh boy, popcorn time. Its just gonna be interesting how this all plays out.  I think JH shutting down season pass sales was a brilliant move on their part.  One would have to assume the most profitable ticket they sell is a day pass.  So, at least they have some money coming in, where as the season pass money has come in a while back.  Not sure where Ikon falls in the profitability department for a resort, but i would imagine its pretty low.  Its just interesting other than K, nobody is saying much about it.  
seems like discount lift tickets could be no more.  Unless of course off peak days dont get filled to capacity......what ever that is.  

Yeah, curious to see how everything shakes out. I’ve got a pass to blue, so I’ll ski there. Kinda feeing like anything that’s not blue or self-powered will be bonus this season. Anyone need a set of Salomon guardians to get their uphill on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3