Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

There's always Belleayre!

Belleayre is a fun little place. It gets more crap than it should, especially since the snow is decent and there are less crowds.

However, let’s be real. Drive the extra 30 minutes to Plattekill. Better snow than the other Catskill resorts, cheaper lift tickets, and they have some $25 days if you’re one of the first 50 (?) to purchase a ticket. It’s a true gem.

We updated this tonight from the annual report. ORDA is inconsistent in how they report numbers and this year gave no revenue for any of the mountains.

Thanks for all the good work you and the crew do over there at nyskiblog Harvey. You put together a great product. I appreciate you checking in every once in awhile. If I ever need more backup on Plattekill, I’ll tag you into the ring [emoji6]
  • Like 1

I’m trying to figure out if I’m getting an epic pass but I’m confused between the Epic Pass, Epic Local Pass, and Epic Day pass.

I’m under the impression epic pass you can show up to most mountains anytime (with a reservation).  Epic local is similar but no holidays.  And epic day pass has me the most confused.  Is it simply a pass to get discounts and reservations?  The 4 day is $101 per day, plus you still have to buy the discounted lift ticket?

@Barb, any possible insight you have would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

@theprogram4 can't help you with day passes.  I have the Epic Local as I don't need holidays.  They are starting a reservation system this season (hopefully only THIS season) and it is confusing.  But basically, you can reserve 7 priority days as far out in ski season as you like.  Once you use one, you can reserve another as far out as you like.  Otherwise, you can only reserve 1 week in advance.  

What mountains are you going to visit with it?

7 minutes ago, Barb said:

@theprogram4 can't help you with day passes.  I have the Epic Local as I don't need holidays.  They are starting a reservation system this season (hopefully only THIS season) and it is confusing.  But basically, you can reserve 7 priority days as far out in ski season as you like.  Once you use one, you can reserve another as far out as you like.  Otherwise, you can only reserve 1 week in advance.  

What mountains are you going to visit with it?

Thank you.  So I’m getting the impression the day pass is simply a discount card, as in you still have to purchase a lift ticket?

7 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

Thank you.  So I’m getting the impression the day pass is simply a discount card, as in you still have to purchase a lift ticket?

the epic day pass is the dumbest, most confusing thing. as far as i can tell, it's no different than buying a single day ticket, except you get the benefit of being able to reserve your days, at the cost of paying possibly more than the day-of (yes, i know, not a thing this winter) window rate. as someone else mentioned at some point, $101 a day might be great for vail, or park city or something, but completely screws over the person who's trying to pre-plan their one day a year they take their family skiing at jack frost. that's a ludicrous amount of money to spend to ski at frost, but it seems like without buying the epic day pass, you can't reserve a ticket more than one week out? maybe i missed something somewhere, and i know this season is gonna be anything but normal, but it wouldn't surprise me if it puts a lot of people off of a lot of the smaller epic resorts. maybe i spent too much time in the ocean today and am just a little extra salty, i dunno.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

the epic day pass is the dumbest, most confusing thing. as far as i can tell, it's no different than buying a single day ticket, except you get the benefit of being able to reserve your days, at the cost of paying possibly more than the day-of (yes, i know, not a thing this winter) window rate. as someone else mentioned at some point, $101 a day might be great for vail, or park city or something, but completely screws over the person who's trying to pre-plan their one day a year they take their family skiing at jack frost. that's a ludicrous amount of money to spend to ski at frost, but it seems like without buying the epic day pass, you can't reserve a ticket more than one week out? maybe i missed something somewhere, and i know this season is gonna be anything but normal, but it wouldn't surprise me if it puts a lot of people off of a lot of the smaller epic resorts. maybe i spent too much time in the ocean today and am just a little extra salty, i dunno.

If you are not another kind of pass holder then a day pass is the only way to ski before Dec 8

I am doing Epic Local as of now. But they offer complete refund if you can't book the 7 priority reservation days you want so may use that to get out of it depending how things unfold as I am sure one could try and fail to book most prime days at Hunter and then get refund.

Biggest specific concern that could lead me to want refund is if VT maintains 2 week out of state quarantine period - as with risks of getting on a plane that could effectively limit it to NH (too far for ordinary weekend) Hunter and PA.

Did just get kids season rentals though so committed to some skiing. 

On 9/7/2020 at 8:38 AM, saltyant said:

So if a passholder makes a last minute decision to ski, but no reservation slots are available, are they SOL?

Fortunately there are 6 Epic Mtns within day trip range so they would have to all be sold out for you to be SOL. And only likely to be an issue for weekends/holidays - so reserve those in advance and if a weekday pops up you want to ski try your luck reserving then.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:55 AM, saltyant said:

I'd just reserve every timeslot I might possibly ski in the upcoming 2 or 3 weeks.

You can only make 7 reservations more than a week in advance. Most will plan, as I am, to make them for most in demand weekend and holiday days they will want to ski or for when they have booked travel. For any other day to get a reservation will likely be a "try to grab then as quick as possible when they become available 7 days in advance" situation - ala Ticketmaster on sales. Fun fun. Doubt I will choose to deal with that every morning just in case there is a snowstorm on a weekday next week.

2 minutes ago, Schif said:

This whole reservation system is making Blue Mountain seem like they have their shit together. 

If Blue implemented a reservation system, I'd reserve every single timeslot of every single day so I have the season pass benefits I've had in all previous years, and those I'm entitled to as a special snowflake millenial. Haters gonna hate hate hate @toast21602 @GrilledSteezeSandwich

Edited by saltyant

12 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

Thank you for this.  I’m in a similar boat as I’ve been trying to figure out the benefit of an epic day pass.  Doesn’t seem like much at all

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Schif said:

This whole reservation system is making Blue Mountain seem like they have their shit together. 

I'm not even going to try to figure this crap out. I'll just ski at Blue and 1 other place this winter, maybe Utah, and then I'll just have to do the stupid reservation thing once this season. Hopefully no more reservations next season. Reservations in general annoy me due to being obligated to do x at time y. I just wanna do what ever I wanna do.

Edited by saltyant

17 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I'm not even going to try to figure this crap out. I'll just ski at Blue and 1 other place this winter, maybe Utah, and then I'll just have to do the stupid reservation thing once this season. Hopefully no more reservations next season. Reservations in general annoy me due to being obligated to do x at time y. I just wanna do what ever I wanna do.

Deal with it. 

• Confused 1

OK so hear me out on this and let me know what you guys think. Reservations, in some form or another are going to get ironed out in the next year and then be here to stay in some form or another. By more accurately predicting the number of people on the mountain on a given day and their demographics a resort will be able to more efficiently make operational decisions. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Planning skiing for the family is definitely going to be a bit more tricky than usual this year.  I already reserved our house in Taos for early March, and I'm assuming that once they announce their plans that it won't be a problem to get lift tickets, but I'm mentally preparing myself to be flexible.  Maybe even have to skip the trip if travel restrictions come up again due to Covid.  Assuming no government-imposed restrictions I am planning on skiing wherever I want, I don't care if it costs more money, and as far as I'm concerned there is no Covid during ski season.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Schif said:

OK so hear me out on this and let me know what you guys think. Reservations, in some form or another are going to get ironed out in the next year and then be here to stay in some form or another. By more accurately predicting the number of people on the mountain on a given day and their demographics a resort will be able to more efficiently make operational decisions. 

If (hypothetically) we have the ability to cancel even a limited number of reservations without a penalty then it's probably not that big of a deal. If it reduces crowds, that's a bonus. If it saves them $ so they can blow more Perder, that's another bonus. The biggest annoyance will be possibly not being allowed to ski on short notice... that would suck since sometimes I like to do things spur of the moment.

Edited by saltyant

7 minutes ago, Schif said:

OK so hear me out on this and let me know what you guys think. Reservations, in some form or another are going to get ironed out in the next year and then be here to stay in some form or another. By more accurately predicting the number of people on the mountain on a given day and their demographics a resort will be able to more efficiently make operational decisions

yeah, i just don't see this benefitting the customer in the long run in any tangible way. i also don't really see much of a need for the reservation systems to continue once things hopefully return to status quo. sounds like a great way to artificially limit supply, thus increasing demand, and prices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1