Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

Mt. Bachelor President and General Manager, John McLeod, just published this open letter to passholders outlining the resort’s winter operational plan and it can be summed up as a “Back To The Basics” approach including encouraging guests to use their vehicles a ski lodge. 

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/09/17/mt-bachelor-winter-plan/?fbclid=IwAR3GSJ86aeuE95n-fg-trDZGW3KsMvoylbr5wESXnmilR3pLdhlMZgHmnvA

Looks like they are taking notes on our PASR parking lot lodge processes.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Did the Big Snow with the kids 530-720. They dug it a lot as a cool treat for summer. Could have kept going as long as we wanted as they only scanned our wristbands the first run but 20 runs was enough for us. Very good snow. Skied a little bigger than I expected with 160' vertical. Skied right onto the lift every run til about 645 when more people showed up. A better first day on skis than going to BB with only the lower mountain open in mid November as I have done a couple seasons as it has more pitch and better snow than Freedom. Was worth doing as both kids found issues with the fit of their season rental boots that we now will be able to address before taking a longer trip.

No photos - figured that was covered above as it looked about the same today as yesterday. 

About 30 sec after getting off the snow I took a hard spill as the flooring indoors is super slick with wet ski boots. Dumb ass choice for flooring. Who could imagine folks would be walking on this stuff in wet ski boots?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

About 30 sec after getting off the snow I took a hard spill as the flooring indoors is super slick with wet ski boots. Dumb ass choice for flooring. Who could imagine folks would be walking on this stuff in wet ski boots?

Hah...the tile in the mall is dangerous.  But, in normal conditions, you're not allowed to walk in the mall with ski boots, or even bring equipement into in the mall.  In pre-covid times, you dropped your stuff off in the parking garage with a ski valet, who would take it up a freight elevator, I believe.  @GSSucks almost ate it getting off the escalator. 

4 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

Hah...the tile in the mall is dangerous.  But, in normal conditions, you're not allowed to walk in the mall with ski boots, or even bring equipement into in the mall.  In pre-covid times, you dropped your stuff off in the parking garage with a ski valet, who would take it up a freight elevator, I believe.  @GSSucks almost ate it getting off the escalator. 

Wasn't in the mall it was in the Big Snow area

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Mt. Bachelor President and General Manager, John McLeod, just published this open letter to passholders outlining the resort’s winter operational plan and it can be summed up as a “Back To The Basics” approach including encouraging guests to use their vehicles a ski lodge. 

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/09/17/mt-bachelor-winter-plan/?fbclid=IwAR3GSJ86aeuE95n-fg-trDZGW3KsMvoylbr5wESXnmilR3pLdhlMZgHmnvA

Do we have to use our vehicles as a restroom too?

8 hours ago, toast21602 said:

We set the trend in so many different aspects of the skiing experience.  

6 hours ago, Shadows said:

I'm still down to get a season porto rental. I'll call blue soon. 

I would actually imagine the will have some porta shitters set up this year.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

The Bird shared their operating plan:

https://www.snowbird.com/winter-experience-2021/

So if I have to wear the facemask, even when riding the lift alone, and skiing alone, and pissing alone, will I be allowed to wear my ski mask (with tiny holes for breathing) over it to stay warm? They might say, "oh but your mask has holes in it", then I'll have to keep saying "oh but there's another mask thing underneath". Also, I dont know if I can tolerate double masking. 

Edited by saltyant
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, saltyant said:

So if I have to wear the facemask, even when riding the lift alone, and skiing alone, and pissing alone, will I be allowed to wear my ski mask (with tiny holes for breathing) over it to stay warm? They might say, "oh but your mask has holes in it", then I'll have to keep saying "oh but there's another mask thing underneath". Also, I dont know if I can tolerate double masking. 

You really just have too many issues.  I think you should take a strong look at hanging up the skis, and taking up crocheting, or basket making for the winter.  I'm sure Doug will still let you come to his Hotel House to "do stuff" though.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

HTFU or GTFO

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Im going to start planning my trip for early March now. Snowbird's website looks really nice, I think I'll go there. TFTI

Don’t make the mistake I did multiple times which was to go to Utah and skip powder mountain.  I went there in February and was kicking myself for being to Utah a bunch of times previously, and never hitting up powwow until recently 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Don’t make the mistake I did multiple times which was to go to Utah and skip powder mountain.  I went there in February and was kicking myself for being to Utah a bunch of times previously, and never hitting up powwow until recently 

I think I'll just ski one mountain per trip, especially with every mountain having different rules and hoops to jump through now. Last year I loved every minute of Steamboat and never even remotely got bored, and it was nice having time to thoroughly learn the layout of the mountain.

Edited by saltyant
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, saltyant said:

You won’t be wearing a typical ski mask this season as they won’t be allowed.  I’m thinking what Atomic Jeff calls a buff will be the most common as you can pull it down while on the lift and skiing.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

I thought it was only groomers at pow mow when you were there due to freezing rain. 

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You won’t be wearing a typical ski mask this season as they won’t be allowed.  I’m thinking what Atomic Jeff calls a buff will be the most common as you can pull it down while on the lift and skiing.  

I can do something like that I suppose. I need to feel the breeze on my face as I blast down the mountain on my RTMs. And I don't need a thingy on my face when I'm riding the lift alone. 

I think I'll just ski one mountain per trip, especially with every mountain having different rules and hoops to jump through now. Last year I loved every minute of Steamboat and never even remotely got bored, and it was nice having time to thoroughly learn the layout of the mountain.

Skiing one mountain on a Utah trip seems wrong but if you're picking one bird is in fact the word.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Skiing one mountain on a Utah trip seems wrong but if you're picking one bird is in fact the word.

Eh, I can go to a different mountain near SLC every year. 💁‍♂️  I plan to continue skiing out west at least once a year and like going to a new mountain each time.  Hopefully I have at least 47 good years left of skiing left.

On the bright side, the slopeside hotels I checked near Snowbird now have fully refundable cancellation policies due to force majeure clause - woohoo! I'm always extremely hesitant to book something so far out in advance and end up not going and losing over a grand. Now I'll likely book in a few days or weeks.

Edited by saltyant

Eh, I can go to a different mountain near SLC every year. [emoji2273]  I plan to continue skiing out west at least once a year and like going to a new mountain each time.  Hopefully I have at least 47 good years left of skiing left.
On the bright side, the slopeside hotels I checked near Snowbird now have fully refundable cancellation policies due to force majeure clause - woohoo! I'm always extremely hesitant to book something so far out in advance and end up not going and losing over a grand. Now I'll likely book in a few days or weeks.
Ski Alta and Bird at least. They're technically on the same ridge...right next to each other. You can even get a pass that let's you ski over to Alta from Bird and back. Then next year do a Solitude / Brighton trip...similar set up.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Ski Alta and Bird at least. They're technically on the same ridge...right next to each other. You can even get a pass that let's you ski over to Alta from Bird and back. Then next year do a Solitude / Brighton trip...similar set up.

That's pretty rad. I've never skied in Utah before, or been to SLC, so I'm looking to broaden my horizons.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:
1 hour ago, saltyant said:
Eh, I can go to a different mountain near SLC every year. emoji2273.png  I plan to continue skiing out west at least once a year and like going to a new mountain each time.  Hopefully I have at least 47 good years left of skiing left.

He would do better with that reversed. Brighton this year. 

and every other time you go out there IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1