Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

He would do better with that reversed. Brighton this year. 

and every other time you go out there IMO

TFTI. I literally have no idea about any of them. @AtomicSkier posted the website today and it looks cool. I like the layout of their website, and the mountains look pretty big. I Googled "is Snowbird good for intermediates" and Google said "Yes".

IMO salty would like pow mow, snow basin, Brighton, and solitude more than snowbird due to terrain and crowds.  Snow bird in my opinion is tougher than the mountains I mentioned due to more advanced terrain and crowds that track the place out within an hour.  Don’t get me wrong, I like snowbird; but damn that place tracks out quick, even when you in line before opening 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

IMO salty would like pow mow, snow basin, Brighton, and solitude more than snowbird due to terrain and crowds.  Snow bird in my opinion is tougher than the mountains I mentioned due to more advanced terrain and crowds that track the place out within an hour.  Don’t get me wrong, I like snowbird; but damn that place tracks out quick, even when you in line before opening 

This is accurate. 

• Thanks 1

It changes every week, but quarantine isn’t required for all visitors to VT. It’s based on the John’s Hopkins weekly rolling data and the map is updated every week. I know most of you live south of there, but Carbon and Monroe counties are both allowed to travel to VT without quarantine. Here’s the map if you care to look further into it:

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

It changes every week, but quarantine isn’t required for all visitors to VT. It’s based on the John’s Hopkins weekly rolling data and the map is updated every week. I know most of you live south of there, but Carbon and Monroe counties are both allowed to travel to VT without quarantine. Here’s the map if you care to look further into it:

Is there any way for them to actually enforce it?  

Good to know. Thank you sir

18 hours ago, saltyant said:

TFTI. I literally have no idea about any of them. @AtomicSkier posted the website today and it looks cool. I like the layout of their website, and the mountains look pretty big. I Googled "is Snowbird good for intermediates" and Google said "Yes".

not to knock snowbird at all, because the place is awesome, but if you're going out west looking for powder and you're not super comfortable skiing fresh snow yet, snowbird is not gonna be your best bet. as other said, it tracks quickly unless you catch it on a mid-day storm cycle, and in my experience is more crowded than some of the other areas. i think someone else mentioned powder mtn and snowbasin. i've done a lot of trips to utah and stayed in eden, which is a small town at the bottom of the canyon from powder mtn. snowbasin is about 20-25 minutes from there, so you can easily do both in one trip. there's not much in eden, a few restaurants, a ski shop, coffee shop, grocery store. i haven't been to either in a few years, and i've heard ikon has kinda popularized basin a bit, but i've never had crazy lift lines there, even on pow days, and powder has been limiting ticket sales for a few years now to keep crowds down. basin skis like a mini-snowbird, with awesome steep wide groomers to bail out onto if you can't find good snow off trail. powder is old school, generally slow lifts, no super sketchy terrain, but tons of acreage and an option to upcharge for a snowcat ride to a great ridge with some nice wide open relatively mellow sidecountry. i'm sure others could say the same, but happy to help answer any questions you might have about some of the options north of SLC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there any way for them to actually enforce it?  

It’s nearly impossible, especially with the option of “quarantine at home”. How complicated can they make it? They are lucky it can’t really be enforced, otherwise Vermont and all their ski areas would nearly be bankrupt next year.

27 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I think Eaf wants to come with you to Utah.  

I'm looking for a plan of how to go somewhere in that direction without breaking the bank. Salty is not disclosing where he's getting his deals this winter. Are you going somewhere West?

Just to throw out another option Salty. Our first trip out West was slopeside at Park City in a one bedroom condo. Ski storage near lobby, carry skis 25', click in and Ski!  Plenty of intermediate terrain with some steeps if you like. A good introduction to Utah cruisers IMO.

Free bus service outside your door to a wide variety of restaurants and grocery stores. (Much more variety than Snowbird, because once there, that's it you're pretty well there.). The main street of PC is loaded with  bars, restaurants, and shops... tourist traps and otherwise. 

You can get a shuttle bus to/from airport and won't need to rent a car as the bus service is excellent.  

Of course, YMMV Covid Crap and All.... 

22 minutes ago, eaf said:

I'm looking for a plan of how to go somewhere in that direction without breaking the bank. Salty is not disclosing where he's getting his deals this winter. Are you going somewhere West?

I just looked briefly at hotels. Snowbird has a slope side hotel room with lift tickets for $1,300ish, 5 nights. That's about what I paid for Steamboat last year, I think. If I can find a similar deal at a resort better suited for me as suggested then I'll do that.

41 minutes ago, eaf said:

Yup...the normal Jackson hole in January and Colorado skifari in April.  I might visit Atomic Jeff in February in telluride as well. Utah is a possibility as well.  

17 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I just looked briefly at hotels. Snowbird has a slope side hotel room with lift tickets for $1,300ish, 5 nights. That's about what I paid for Steamboat last year, I think. If I can find a similar deal at a resort better suited for me as suggested then I'll do that.

Yeah, that's about 2x of what I paid in Italy last year with breakfast and dinners included. Stupid Chinese virus! Absurd prices too.

• Confused 1

Yup...the normal Jackson hole in January and Colorado skifari in April.  I might visit Atomic Jeff in February in telluride as well. Utah is a possibility as well.  

Keep me posted on Telluride, I would meet you guys out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eaf said:

Yeah, that's about 2x of what I paid in Italy last year with breakfast and dinners included. Stupid Chinese virus! Absurd prices too.

Airfare to the Rockies is less than Europe and Salty is talking about slopeside accommodations at both steamboat and Snowbird. Can stay cheaper away from the mountain. 

Much as I would like to go out west with the air travel credits, hotel credit and Epic Pass I have - which would make it a close to free trip - I have yet to convince myself it makes sense to take on the risk of catching Covid via air travel for the greater joy of Western skiing.

If I was ~20 and single like Salty it would be easier to decide to take that risk than being at higher risk (as a 55 yo man) and having 2 13yo girls I would risk leaving fatherless. 

May view things differently as things unfold and we get more data about risks of air travel - but that is where I am today. Hoping VT quarantine relaxes enough to allow me to go there and otherwise doing NH, NY and PA.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1