Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

4 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Well, really the pass is for unlimited skiing.  And i interpret unlimited skiing to mean when they are open.  Theres no Covid handbook for anyone to follow, this is new to everybody.  i am sure they can dig into their data and see what small population of passholders just ski at night.  i do get that there may be a small percentage, and i think its a really small number, of people that just ski at night, or ski 75% of the time at night.  

The season pass is so ridiculously cheap, i dont see a reason for a partial refund. I am so fucking tired of hearing people complain about a mountain owing them money because they couldnt ski on this day or that, or "only bought the pass to ski after March 15th"...lol, or i might have to make a reservation.....fuck, just hang it up if you arent willing to roll with some changes.  This is an expensive sport.  If someone feels they are entitled to a $50 refund on a $400 pass, they probably need to rethink their financial situation in regards to the hobby/sport. 

I do believe they should lay out their operational plan before the start of the season, (which i am sure they will) and if it does include less/no night skiing then they should offer a refund for those that would like to opt out of a season pass.  If it were my little mountain, i would have shut down season pass sales by now, and gone for the more profitable day ticket sales to get them up to max capacity for the day, what ever that number might be.  

If i had to make a bold prediction, and they did in fact keep the lights off during the week, and didnt offer a partial refund, nobody here would opt out of the pass.  Not even the other big talking complainer.  

Dude, it’s not just some random day or night we’re talking about here, it’s ALL weekday nights. Like Salty said, it amounts to half or more of skiing for some. It is a big blow, no matter how much you’re trying to show otherwise.

And why? Not because of weather, broken lifts, but because of school buses, sheesh. IIRC the lifts were spinning when the crowds were extremely thin during spring time, no problem.

No buses? Suck it up and stay open for at least three nights besides the weekend. I know of places that got hit hard in Apr-Jun, didn’t open at all until July and they carried over passes to the next year. So yeah, if lifts are not spinning at night, I sure expect something back.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Kyle said:

4 hour ticket this season at peak is $79, 8 hour ticket is $109 peak, sounds like your skiing for free after 5 trips. 

Don’t get me started on people measuring how much they’ve saved over window prices.

Dude, it’s not just some random day or night we’re talking about here, it’s ALL weekday nights. Like Salty said, it amounts to half or more of skiing for some. It is a big blow, no matter how much you’re trying to show otherwise.
And why? Not because of weather, broken lifts, but because of school buses, sheesh. IIRC the lifts were spinning when the crowds were extremely thin during spring time, no problem.
No buses? Suck it up and stay open for at least three nights besides the weekend. I know of places that got hit hard in Apr-Jun, didn’t open at all until July and they carried over passes to the next year. So yeah, if lifts are not spinning at night, I sure expect something back.

It's a fucking pandemic. Concessions will likely need to be made. Shit we're lucky if we ski at all. Not to mention the fact that if school groups bail... they'll likely lose a shit ton of money by staying open...would you rather your home mountain go belly up because you need to beat traffic? When will people realize this isn't a normal year? If they do close midweek (BIG IF) it won't be because they're trying to get one over on us.. it'll be because they're trying to stay afloat.
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, eaf said:

Chief, then you should go get a refund for your pass, if this happens, and ski Mountain Creek.  I dont think Blue has to be giving money back to everybody that "claims" they bought their pass for night skiing.  My guess is, if they do announce no weekday nights, you still keep the pass, but just continue to complain about it all season long.  

Is a $50 refund going to change your world so much financially?  

26 minutes ago, Kyle said:

4 hour ticket this season at peak is $79, 8 hour ticket is $109 peak, sounds like your skiing for free after 5 trips. 

Best answer, thank you.  This is the point i am trying to drive through, but math is hard.  

Being agile is key for any business, especially during a pandemic. Moves like this, even if they are just rumors and don't come true, mean that Blue is looking to do what is best for them in the short and long terms and what is good for Blue is ultimately good for us. 

Plus it's Sausage Sunday, not Sausage Wednesday Night. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

@eaf and I must voice our opinions now since Blue management regularly reads PASR and would be devastated to lose future season pass money from 2 loyal customers. By posting here we DO make a difference, like when Blue changed their mind about the Vail deal because of the negative impact it would have on PASR tailgating and parking lot festivites, as discussed here.

Edited by saltyant
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

Chief, then you should go get a refund for your pass, if this happens, and ski Mountain Creek.  I dont think Blue has to be giving money back to everybody that "claims" they bought their pass for night skiing.  My guess is, if they do announce no weekday nights, you still keep the pass, but just continue to complain about it all season long.  

Is a $50 refund going to change your world so much financially?  

Best answer, thank you.  This is the point i am trying to drive through, but math is hard.  

You're terrible at math. I just said that being closed on weekday nights is gonna cost some more than half of their skiing, and you're throwing some $50 at me.

They milked people in spring by selling them passes at their regular prices, so I expect regular operation hours. Pandemic or not, they're not being ordered to shut down, they seem to be choosing not to stay open to save their $$ after I've given them my $$. So if they do it, they'll be doing it at my expense, and that is something that I feel every right to complain about.

But enough of this, let's wait for the official announcement.

Remember in the beginning of the pandemic when people were patronizing local restaurants and shops and spending more money than they ordinarily would have for food or dropping big tips for haircuts or other services? Just use that logic with Blue and be happy that you're still getting the best deal in the state or a season pass. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, eaf said:

You're terrible at math. I just said that being closed on weekday nights is gonna cost some more than half of their skiing, and you're throwing some $50 at me.

They milked people in spring by selling them passes at their regular prices, so I expect regular operation hours. Pandemic or not, they're not being ordered to shut down, they seem to be choosing not to stay open to save their $$ after I've given them my $$. So if they do it, they'll be doing it at my expense, and that is something that I feel every right to complain about.

I'm actually really good at math.  i can add 2 double digit numbers in my head.  

1 minute ago, Schif said:

Remember in the beginning of the pandemic when people were patronizing local restaurants and shops and spending more money than they ordinarily would have for food or dropping big tips for haircuts or other services? Just use that logic with Blue and be happy that you're still getting the best deal in the state or a season pass. 

Another good answer, that falls on the d eaf.  

• Like 1

The level of selfish here is off the charts today.

24 minutes ago, eaf said:

The passes were sold at a discount.  Eaf I thought you had a flexible schedule where you can ski weekdays during the day??  You’re just hard to please. 

4 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

The level of selfish here is off the charts today.

Well I enjoy night skiing... a lot. It gives me something to do during the winter's week nights when I cant bike, hike, or fish after work. I personally cant stand being stuck in the house all winter long, and night skiing gives me something to do. If Blue suddenly doesn't have it this season I'll simply go to a mountain that does have it, even if it requires changing my season pass plans.

Edited by saltyant

Well I enjoy night skiing... a lot. It gives me something to do during the winter's week nights when I cant bike, hike, or fish after work. I personally cant stand being stuck in the house all winter long, and night skiing gives me something to do. If Blue suddenly doesn't have it this season I'll simply go to a mountain that does have it, even if it requires changing my season pass plans.

Well at least you have a plan. I probably enjoy night skiing more than most people so if it happens it'll certainly affect me but I wouldn't at all cry foul...not in 2020 at least. I'll adjust.

4 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Well at least you have a plan. I probably enjoy night skiing more than most people so if it happens it'll certainly affect me but I wouldn't at all cry foul...not in 2020 at least. I'll adjust.

Blue's one of the best mountains in the Poconos, but if there are 4 other mountains within driving distance offering night skiing while Blue doesnt, I couldnt justify a Blue pass 🤷🏻‍♂️

IF this is true...

i think the only logical thing to do is offer refunds if someone wants to back out of their season pass because of the reduced hours.

it's a fair argument that a lot of people bought their season passes expecting to ski nights and now that might not be an option.

i don't think it calls for partial refunds or anything like that if people are given the opportunity to bail without penalty.

don't like it, go elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Benm said:

IF this is true...

i think the only logical thing to do is offer refunds if someone wants to back out of their season pass because of the reduced hours.

it's a fair argument that a lot of people bought their season passes expecting to ski nights and now that might not be an option.

i don't think it calls for partial refunds or anything like that if people are given the opportunity to bail without penalty.

don't like it, go elsewhere.

Agree 100%. Blue is a business and ultimately they do what's best for business. At the same time I'll do what's best for myself as a customer. I dont think either is selfish at all, just acting in our best respective self interests.

Edited by saltyant

Unless I'm mistaken this is just a rumor right?

Businesses discuss all kinds of things that have no realistic expectation to ever come to fruition but to plan for potentials that are in this time increasingly off the reservation.

No night skiing would open a pretty big can of worms for them, refund for pass holders that want to bounce is nice but my guess is they also already spent that money.  

I'd think a hybrid approach or do it like spring with no services would be the best compromise.

Truthfully though nobody knows fuck all, I've bought two bikes for my daughter over the last two months and I had to go to MD and way out PA because most inventory is back ordered to March. Skiing isn't as easy to get into as biking but they could get quite a boost with pretty much nothing else going on and as far as activities go skiing is pretty rona safe by default. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2