Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

They look kind of funky, but they are doing everything they can to make money and allow for extra capacity. They’ve got to pay off all that money they paid Win to buy the place. They are heated via propane, but no electric. I haven’t read the article, so I don’t know the cost per day. I do know that they weren’t too expensive to build. Sugarbush mostly uses in house staff to do their lift shack builds and routine maintenance.
  • Like 1

Well then only epic pass #FirstWorldProblems.  I don’t know if you’ve spent any time at Beaver creek but it’s a really nice ski resort. Now nearly as popular as vail.  Still about as large as copper mountain and far drive for you for a day trip 30 miles past cooper but nice very nice and posh. Plus if you visit us in PA JF/BB included. 

It’s grown in popularity, but the crowds are nothing like Vail. When I was there last year we opted to go to Beaver Creek on the weekends due to the fact that it is the most remote and doesn’t have nearly the same size village. The only lift line I regularly waited in (peak season) was a 2 minute lift line or two getting out of the base. Everything else was basically ride on, although there was a slight wait at the mid mountain lodge around lunch. I quite liked Beaver Creek, and while Vail does have better all around terrain, including trees, I would rather ride than spend 20 minutes in a lift line every time I took a run on a weekend day.

I haven’t been to Okemo in years (I want to say I went 4-5 years ago, but I know the first time I went was about 15 years ago) and I stayed at Happy Trails in Ludlow both times. It was a terrible start to the year, and right before Christmas (college break), OutCold, a friend, and I got a lift/lodging package there for $60 a night for 5 nights. $300 for 5 days on the snow was a steal, even back then. The hotel was relatively new and the rooms were basic. I’d like to say it was clean, but we were college students looking for a cheap vacation. The second time the rooms were in decent shape. We drank some beers with the CVA while they tuned their skis for a competition. They have/had a hot tub in a room to itself. No real hours or supervision. It was a good place to crash. I looked at the reviews, which are now less than stellar, and the google maps street view shows that it’s getting some age. That’s the only place I know there, but I have some fond memories.

• Like 1

acb645c5061c76dd7882e67eb53e3f4c.jpg
Went to Winter Park for some uphill today. (Pic not me). Conditions were nice! It’s a weird vibe skinning at a resort. Lots of people whizzing by out of control, one guy wiped out near me. Still a good cardio workout, but not sure I would go back for it. Always nice to be outside no matter what.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Barb said:

acb645c5061c76dd7882e67eb53e3f4c.jpg
Went to Winter Park for some uphill today. (Pic not me). Conditions were nice! It’s a weird vibe skinning at a resort. Lots of people whizzing by out of control, one guy wiped out near me. Still a good cardio workout, but not sure I would go back for it. Always nice to be outside no matter what.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice! How's the weather been out there to access backcountry and other touring lie you did last season? I haven't been following much.

@toast21602 weather has been super dry and backcountry snow is pretty bad right now. There is snow moving in tonight through Saturday.  I had planned to do a tour w a group on Sunday at Berthoud Pass but now rethinking that since everyone will be out right after the snow. Plus I70 seems to have some construction back ups that totally sucked today. 

@Mixilplix super easy going up a groomed run.  Only hassle is you have to stick to the extreme side of the trail so when it starts to get steep you can’t make your own line and switchback up. Just have to embrace the suck and go straight up the fall line. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Haha pulling back more layers. More into it out here. Especially since I have friends that actually want to ski. Winters in NJ were pretty boring with the ladies in town, lots of candle parties. Lol. Nobody ever wanted to do anything fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On 12/9/2020 at 12:28 AM, Ride Delaware ? said:

I haven’t been to Okemo in years (I want to say I went 4-5 years ago, but I know the first time I went was about 15 years ago) and I stayed at Happy Trails in Ludlow both times. It was a terrible start to the year, and right before Christmas (college break), OutCold, a friend, and I got a lift/lodging package there for $60 a night for 5 nights. $300 for 5 days on the snow was a steal, even back then. The hotel was relatively new and the rooms were basic. I’d like to say it was clean, but we were college students looking for a cheap vacation. The second time the rooms were in decent shape. We drank some beers with the CVA while they tuned their skis for a competition. They have/had a hot tub in a room to itself. No real hours or supervision. It was a good place to crash. I looked at the reviews, which are now less than stellar, and the google maps street view shows that it’s getting some age. That’s the only place I know there, but I have some fond memories.

RideDE didn’t you go to Canada I believe Mont Tremblant for an insanely affordable ski and stay package?  

2 minutes ago, Barb said:

Haha pulling back more layers. More into it out here. Especially since I have friends that actually want to ski. Winters in NJ were pretty boring with the ladies in town, lots of candle parties. Lol. Nobody ever wanted to do anything fun.

Bahahah and the skier chicks I’ve met in Jackson hole are badass. After the lifts close they go to yoga classes or make Kombucha..much to Atomic Jeff’s dismay they wanna hear about the Doug Lyfe. On the one gondola ride two 30something local chicks were all intrigued by chubby east coast tombstone selling non Hanukkah celebrating jew middle aged boy and Jeff said,”don’t get him started” lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Crested Butte seems to be one of the bullseye’s of the storm. As luck would have it I have a lull in renters Mon-Fri so I am going to take advantage. Made ski reservations Tues/Wed/Thurs.

Going to also demo some skis and make a decision on something and get rid of my Black Pearl’s.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Barb said:

Crested Butte seems to be one of the bullseye’s of the storm. As luck would have it I have a lull in renters Mon-Fri so I am going to take advantage. Made ski reservations Tues/Wed/Thurs.

Going to also demo some skis and make a decision on something and get rid of my Black Pearl’s.

Boom boom boom we might get a storm Wednesday as well. 

54 minutes ago, Benm said:

those temps look great for snowmaking. 

a day or so ago they were marginal.  how quickly the forecast can change in the winter.  

oh, 2 awesome things happened today.  no more construction on 476.  And, season pass found!

Edited by JFskiDan
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

a day or so ago they were marginal.  how quickly the forecast can change in the winter.  

oh, 2 awesome things happened today.  no more construction on 476.  And, season pass found!

It was such a relief to find my season pass. Congratulations!

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Really? I can’t remember a time when there wasn’t construction on 476.

Edited by poconoceancity
  • Like 2