Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

5 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Cheers for a great season for us all!  Glad to see Blue open! Got my first runs at Okemo this week. Great snow, though not many trails open. People generally behaving in lines, etc. A little more crowded than I expected mid-week. Got a new schedule where I work two days a week...SA-WEET!  WINTER OF SALLYCAT!

IMG_1983.thumb.jpg.f3fe53803e00b2211702196eab1929ce.jpgIMG_1982.thumb.jpg.2dc9318bb3abf12e473285093b8eaea8.jpg

Awesome! Great to see you post here again. Hope everything is going well for you up there! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

Good you hear from you!....I guess you are still in VT?

Still in Vermont, living on Mt. Ascutney and loving it!  Props to Blue for a strong opening; I miss the night skiing and tailgating!

Best wishes to you all for an awesome season at the True Mountain! 

• Like 7
  • Boner City 2

86456236c7abb4e41667a8acf05dd644.jpg
3 of us headed up to Hidden Valley in RMNP. As usual the wind in the parking lot was insane. It was 15 degrees so the wind made it pretty brutal. We booted up and just as we were putting our packs on a ranger came up and asked me if I could back my car up a bit. I guess the first person in the lot parked a little too far forward and everyone followed suit. But moving my car would not have made a bit of difference so I kindly told her no. Wasn’t about to fish out my keys etc etc.

As we started to ascend we realized how bare it was, rocks everywhere. Whatever new snow they got was totally wind scoured. We did not ascend too much when we decided to turn around. I mean it was bad, like 2-3” of snow on rocks. We asked a ranger on the way out if he knew of a place we could just skin on flat ground that actually had snow. So we drove to the gate at Rainbow Curve on Trail Ridge Rd and parked at the gate. Snow looked better. We knew we wouldn’t be descending anything but we drove all the way out there.

We started skinning and the wind was calm on that side, which was not too far away from where we were but different aspect I guess. The snow on the road was only a few inches and our pole plants were on asphalt but the skis were on snow. We went until we ran out of snow about a mile in around a curve that the wind picked up again. So we just turned around and went back. Was a bummer not to be able to grab a burger in town since no place has indoor dining right now. But we did hear Berthoud Pass parking lot was full by 7:15 and a total shit show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Boner City 3

22 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Still in Vermont, living on Mt. Ascutney and loving it!  Props to Blue for a strong opening; I miss the night skiing and tailgating!

Best wishes to you all for an awesome season at the True Mountain! 

The trees out at was I think called dark side of the moon near the blown out cabin on Ascutney are some of the best in vt imho

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Barb said:

Just read Winter Park moving to a reservation system starting Friday. They had to know this would happen. 

The demographics of weekday skiing are weird this year. Usually it's 98% people over age 65 drinking coffee in the lodge for two hours then skiing a few runs and going home.  Now there seem to be a lot more young, college-age people out. Still not a lift line all day, but a noticeable change in people. A friend thinks it's because older people can't be arsed to boot up in the car. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SallyCat said:

The demographics of weekday skiing are weird this year. Usually it's 98% people over age 65 drinking coffee in the lodge for two hours then skiing a few runs and going home.  Now there seem to be a lot more young, college-age people out. Still not a lift line all day, but a noticeable change in people. A friend thinks it's because older people can't be arsed to boot up in the car. 

It was hilarious watching olds in the lot at blue boot up today. I could tell most were annoyed by it and used to booting up inside.  I wanted to tell the guy in the car next to me to pick an ice free spot to put boot on but I just watched him try and get his foot in six or seven times with boot slipping each time. 

Seems as though weekdays will be busier and weekends less crowds due to limited ticket sales. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It was hilarious watching olds in the lot at blue boot up today. I could tell most were annoyed by it and used to booting up inside.  I wanted to tell the guy in the car next to me to pick an ice free spot to put boot on but I just watched him try and get his foot in six or seven times with boot slipping each time. 

Seems as though weekdays will be busier and weekends less crowds due to limited ticket sales. 

Even the younger crowd is struggling with this as well. The two guys next to me saturday had cardboard out and all. I simply dont get how this is such a huge struggle for people. Put yer fucking boots on and go skiing!  We have all booted up in the lot in snow and somehow still managed to make that work. 

• Like 4
  • Boner City 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Even the younger crowd is struggling with this as well. The two guys next to me saturday had cardboard out and all. I simply dont get how this is such a huge struggle for people. Put yer fucking boots on and go skiing!  We have all booted up in the lot in snow and somehow still managed to make that work. 

Or how about 7 of us booting up around the Kardashian mobile in a snowy JH lot where they park us in close.  Easy peezy..

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

I use cardboard (or floor mat) as well because I am fat and not flexy and can’t buckle boots without putting a knee down — and Blue’s lot is nearly always mud.

6 hours ago, enjoralas said:

I use cardboard (or floor mat) as well because I am fat and not flexy and can’t buckle boots without putting a knee down — and Blue’s lot is nearly always mud.

We might need to start a fat guy yoga class in the lower lot..I’ll bring cardboard as well.  Watching you deboot reminds me of this song. 

• Like 2

I never understood long boot up sessions.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Half the time Johnny law shows up with his helmet already on Bahahah 

I almost always have my snowpants and stuff on - just need to boot up and get on my jacket/gloves/helmet.

I'm the same way getting ready for work.  I'll get together my lunch and clothes the night before.  I'm out the door like 10 minutes after I wake up

• Like 1