Big Boulder Lifts

Anyone have any idea what's going on with the lifts at boulder? Was walking the dog earlier around the base and it looks like every one has had at least some chairs pulled off (except Merry Widdows). Seems like they might be reducing the number of chairs and re-spacing what remains. Also looks like black forrest lift is at the end of its life, the cable was pulled off the towers and strewn in the parking lot and its counterweight was cut loose. Any rumors if loose chairs might go up for sale, figure they'd make a great porch swing.

2 minutes ago, Benm said:

I've been on the hunt for a chair nearby for a while, would love to get one if BB sold them. If anyone hears something, lemme know. 

Also, welcome. 

Yeah, the black forest lift runs nearly the same lift line as Merry Widdow I and Merry Widdow II, two double lifts that share a single set of towers. It's typically been closed the past 5+ years but the cable was derailed a couple of years back without ever being repaired. I can't imagine with the duplicate capacity and the lift's current state that it's going to be brought back to life, unless someone knows more than I do. I feel like if the lift is toast those chairs are bound for scrap or going to go up for sale.

There are lifts at BB that havent run in a while, and shouldnt run any longer. They dont need all of the lifts they have there. A friend that works at JF said Vail had plans for multiple new lifts at each resort. Then Covid came knocking, so we shall see. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, poconoceancity said:

The quad at JF won’t be operational next season.

What makes you say that?

Also, do we know what’s wrong with it? I feel like the gearbox issue at attitash was well known when it happened, all I’ve seen on the quad was a sign apologizing it was closed for the season, a no trespassing sign, some chairs flagged with pink tape, and new bolts overhead some chairs. 

What makes you say that?

Also, do we know what’s wrong with it? I feel like the gearbox issue at attitash was well known when it happened, all I’ve seen on the quad was a sign apologizing it was closed for the season, a no trespassing sign, some chairs flagged with pink tape, and new bolts overhead some chairs. 

I was told by an employee that someone noticed a crack in the hanger arm for a chair, and an inspection of more chairs showed cracks in about a dozen of the chairs, so they decided that all the chairs would need replacing to run it again. Not sure if he was supposed to give that information out. It was in use for a couple of weeks last season before they shut it down.
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, C1erArt said:

I was told by an employee that someone noticed a crack in the hanger arm for a chair, and an inspection of more chairs showed cracks in about a dozen of the chairs, so they decided that all the chairs would need replacing to run it again. Not sure if he was supposed to give that information out. It was in use for a couple of weeks last season before they shut it down.

Wow I’m sure he wasn’t at liberty to give that info out. Reminds me of when @phillycore jumped off the east mountain lift at JF..

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

On 8/13/2020 at 6:44 PM, C1erArt said:

Glad to know the chair I spent the better part of my youth riding was slowly cracking. That’d explain the chairs with the pink flag tape on them for sure. 

Not sure what happens to old chairs, but if they head for scrap rather than retail, I’ll offer up a $400 finders fee to anyone who can help me save a chair from the scrap heap. 

21 minutes ago, liplipliplip said:

Glad to know the chair I spent the better part of my youth riding was slowly cracking. That’d explain the chairs with the pink flag tape on them for sure. 

Not sure what happens to old chairs, but if they head for scrap rather than retail, I’ll offer up a $400 finders fee to anyone who can help me save a chair from the scrap heap. 

they sold off the Tannenbaum chairs last time they replaced a lift.  They sold like hot cakes, literally....minutes.  you really need to be in the right place at the right time to get a lift chair around here, i think.  I would love to make some yard art out of a few.  

• Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 3:33 PM, JFskiDan said:

they sold off the Tannenbaum chairs last time they replaced a lift.  They sold like hot cakes, literally....minutes.  you really need to be in the right place at the right time to get a lift chair around here, i think.  I would love to make some yard art out of a few.  

Yeah a friend has a tannenbaum chair sitting on his patio, it was a right place right time sort of deal. I want to be in that right place this time around, obviously if I see something come up I'll post about it here

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 12:19 AM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow I’m sure he wasn’t at liberty to give that info out. Reminds me of when @phillycore jumped off the east mountain lift at JF..

Jumped off the east mountain lift too! Was like 13. I'm sorry to the guy behind me who called me a dumbass, I didn't drop my wallet, I had just watched someone do it in a Warren Miller film and wanted to look cool.

We should get flair or something for East Mountain lift jumpers.

Edited by liplipliplip

Jumped off the east mountain lift too! Was like 13. I'm sorry to the guy behind me who called me a dumbass, I didn't drop my wallet, I had just watched someone do it in a Warren Miller film and wanted to look cool.

We should get flair or something for East Mountain lift jumpers.

Phillycore (and a few others) jumped into 2 feet of snow. What a day that was.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, liplipliplip said:

Nothing better than when you can ski happy land, drop elevator, and get into some other stupid shit all on the same day

does the little cliff huck fall under the "stupid shit" umbrella? i seem to always do stupid shit whenever i ski frost, and it's always a fun change of pace from blue

• 2 weeks later...
does the little cliff huck fall under the "stupid shit" umbrella? i seem to always do stupid shit whenever i ski frost, and it's always a fun change of pace from blue

Think little cliff huck is gone. They smoothed out that cut out on the left as you approach the East mountain chair.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...