Big Boulder Lifts

• 4 months later...

Now that the weather’s a bit warmer and my schedule has started to calm down I thought I’d start to work on the chair.

The bolts holding the hanging bar to the seat are painted pretty tight, as are the bolds securing the restraint bar to the seat, so plan for now is see how far a chemical paint stripper can take me. I’m trying citristrip and will leave it on for the full 24 hrs. By my count there are at least 6 coats of paint on these things. I’ve tested a few times for lead and haven’t found any yet but am still a bit afraid to strip with a disk and have airborn paint dust. 

AB0E1954-1A7C-428E-939F-142DF2EA0ED9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Benm said:mine has been a lawn ornament since dec.

All I want to do for now is strip the paint and rust, get a protective primer on there, and paint it. Eventually it’ll hang or be a bench but in the meantime rust has already done enough damage on mine 

1 hour ago, Benm said:

lol you have a lot more ambition than me.

mine has been a lawn ornament since dec.

1 hour ago, liplipliplip said:

All I want to do for now is strip the paint and rust, get a protective primer on there, and paint it. Eventually it’ll hang or be a bench but in the meantime rust has already done enough damage on mine 

I wonder if @toast21602has put wheels on his yet so he can wheel it around inside the house.  

Starting to pull some paint off and the chair is finally in 3 pieces. Four bolts hold the seat to the hanging bar and the restraint bar isn’t mechanically fastened, you just have to pull it off of the pins that hold it in place. Starting to see some metal poke through but the citristrip largely just ate through the outer 1-3 layers of paint.

In hindsight, the airplane paint remover you can buy at autozone and the like would’ve eaten this paint a lot quicker, but that stuff is crazy toxic. I’m also on a well, doing this work outside, and airplane paint remover needs to be neutralized by water before handling and I want none of it going into the groundwater

361CBD87-E2FB-4B83-BACB-16B48DA30FEC.jpeg

8BAF9F38-23DB-4590-AEF7-0DFC566262C6.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, liplipliplip said:

Starting to pull some paint off and the chair is finally in 3 pieces. Four bolts hold the seat to the hanging bar and the restraint bar isn’t mechanically fastened, you just have to pull it off of the pins that hold it in place. Starting to see some metal poke through but the citristrip largely just ate through the outer 1-3 layers of paint.

In hindsight, the airplane paint remover you can buy at autozone and the like would’ve eaten this paint a lot quicker, but that stuff is crazy toxic. I’m also on a well, doing this work outside, and airplane paint remover needs to be neutralized by water before handling and I want none of it going into the groundwater

361CBD87-E2FB-4B83-BACB-16B48DA30FEC.jpeg

8BAF9F38-23DB-4590-AEF7-0DFC566262C6.jpeg

Do you have welding experience??  

Decided to start fishing with hand grenades, busted out the grinder and flap discs. 

Coming across a lot of pitted rust, anybody have any advice on what to do? Part of me wants to just prime over it, but not sure. I feel like grinding it out and using bondo to flatten out the divots is a little extra. 

Also, lmk if I should move this to a general thread. 

6E803AE9-32D6-42D7-BE2D-EBCE537FDCFB.jpeg

B71D6881-5D9A-4903-8475-93AA4291A10F.jpeg

Edited by liplipliplip
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, liplipliplip said:

Decided to start fishing with hand grenades, busted out the grinder and flap discs. 

Coming across a lot of pitted rust, anybody have any advice on what to do? Part of me wants to just prime over it, but not sure. I feel like grinding it out and using bondo to flatten out the divots is a little extra. 

I was thinking of doing the same with bondo. You are much further along than I am, though. So if you want to test it out and let me know that would be appreciated 😀

Have you figured out how you are going to have it set up? hanging? resting on something? I'm not sure what to do yet, but I'm probably going to do a bench of some sort rather than hanging it like a swing. Just not sure what I'd need to do to hold all that weight and my fat ass when on it.

44 minutes ago, liplipliplip said:

Are you planning on taking it to some ski lift chair shows?  
Bondo would fill it all in, but i just cant see going through all of that work, but sometimes my lack of patience gets the best of me. Personally i would throw some POR-15 over it and call it a day. A little bit of paint on that and it will outlast you by years. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Are you planning on taking it to some ski lift chair shows?  

Haha, unfortunately I haven’t heard of any ski-lift-chairs-and-coffee events. 

but all seriousness, haven’t worked with metal before, just asking stupid questions to get good directions. My restraint bar has spots where it’s rusted through, that’ll take bondo, but the rest I’ll treat some other way

12 hours ago, liplipliplip said:

Haha, unfortunately I haven’t heard of any ski-lift-chairs-and-coffee events. 

My restraint bar has spots where it’s rusted through, 

Thats called patina. 
in all seriousness, i could build a brand new chair, but whats the point?  No history, no ones ever ridden on it, no nothin. Having some bumps and bruises adds character imo. 

• Like 3