Big Boulder Lifts

26 minutes ago, Schif said:

Has anyone thought about putting a coat of protective paint over all the junk that's currently on the chair to kind of preserve it and avoid a lot of work? 

i'd just worry about whatever is under the paint to continue to rust in the elements. which is sort of weird since the chairs sit out in the weather anyway on a rope, so i dont get it. i couldn't care less about paint flaking off or it looking pristine.

paging @JFskiDan - is there a safe, easy an option for long term if cosmetics aren't particularly an issue?

16 hours ago, liplipliplip said:

Decided to start fishing with hand grenades, busted out the grinder and flap discs. 

Coming across a lot of pitted rust, anybody have any advice on what to do? Part of me wants to just prime over it, but not sure. I feel like grinding it out and using bondo to flatten out the divots is a little extra. 

Also, lmk if I should move this to a general thread. 

6E803AE9-32D6-42D7-BE2D-EBCE537FDCFB.jpeg

B71D6881-5D9A-4903-8475-93AA4291A10F.jpeg

How long have you spent on this so far?  

2 hours ago, Schif said:

Has anyone thought about putting a coat of protective paint over all the junk that's currently on the chair to kind of preserve it and avoid a lot of work? 

This is what i would do.  Maybe an epoxy coating.  

2 hours ago, Benm said:

i'd just worry about whatever is under the paint to continue to rust in the elements. which is sort of weird since the chairs sit out in the weather anyway on a rope, so i dont get it. i couldn't care less about paint flaking off or it looking pristine.

paging @JFskiDan - is there a safe, easy an option for long term if cosmetics aren't particularly an issue?

Personally i would just slap a coat of paint on it, and hang it up, or put wheels on it so it can be wheeled around the inside of your house or whatever.  What i would spend the most time doing, is making sure water cant get inside the metal and lay there.  i might go as far as to drill a few holes on the underside of any of the tubing to make sure if water got in, water could get out. 

I have a buddies scaffolding leaning up against my shed, which has been there since 2007 since i built the addition on my house.  of course the scaffolding is no longer wanted, and i wish it would return itself to the earth, but its not.  So, i mean i get it, steel rusts, but its not gonna just fall apart overnight.  Plus, old steel is good steel.  New steel is garbage.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JFskiDan said:

This is what i would do.  Maybe an epoxy coating.  

Personally i would just slap a coat of paint on it, and hang it up, or put wheels on it so it can be wheeled around the inside of your house or whatever.  What i would spend the most time doing, is making sure water cant get inside the metal and lay there.  i might go as far as to drill a few holes on the underside of any of the tubing to make sure if water got in, water could get out. 

I have a buddies scaffolding leaning up against my shed, which has been there since 2007 since i built the addition on my house.  of course the scaffolding is no longer wanted, and i wish it would return itself to the earth, but its not.  So, i mean i get it, steel rusts, but its not gonna just fall apart overnight.  Plus, old steel is good steel.  New steel is garbage.  

That was my thought as well. I do want to clean it up a bit, but my god there are houses out near me in the boonies that have cars sitting there for decades and still hold their shape just fine. 

Maybe just a quick grind and repair on the rough spots, and then give the chair its 18th and final coating of paint. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JFskiDan said:

i might go as far as to drill a few holes on the underside of any of the tubing

thanks for that tip. 

i figured if i did it the easy way, i'd take a wire brush on a drill to it, get off whatever paint i could with added focus on rusted spots, spray on whatever stops rust, prime and then paint. 

still gotta figure out how to fabricate something to attach it to the truck. thinking square tube connected to look like a lambda from the side. too much tongue weight for a hitch womp womp. 

5 minutes ago, Benm said:

thanks for that tip. 

i figured if i did it the easy way, i'd take a wire brush on a drill to it, get off whatever paint i could with added focus on rusted spots, spray on whatever stops rust, prime and then paint. 

still gotta figure out how to fabricate something to attach it to the truck. thinking square tube connected to look like a lambda from the side. too much tongue weight for a hitch womp womp. 

for the quick, down and dirty approach, spending some coin on POR15 products might pay off.  https://por15.com/

I dont think they have alot of top coat colors though.  but they do sell some stuff in spray cans.  worth it? ehh, i dont know, but i have used the brush on stuff on some car frames that seems to hold up superior to the rustoleum rust converter stuff i tried.  

You want to attach it to the truck?  explain further.  

10 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

You want to attach it to the truck?  explain further.  

originally i though about mounting it to a hitch but i don't know shit about that stuff and quickly found out about tongue weight and that it wouldn't work. so now i'm thinking aobut something similar to this. green line being square tube connected at 90deg angle with a fitting like in the image (though circular or something detachable) so i could slide it when i wanted to store it. red dots are the hooks in the bed to tie it down to. if everything worked, i could put down the tailgate, push it in and put the tailgate back up for when in motion.

i know a very, very good welder who i'm going to ask for advice or suggestions that might work better. 

looks crazy but i can't think of any other method.

truck.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Boner City 1

47 minutes ago, Benm said:

originally i though about mounting it to a hitch but i don't know shit about that stuff and quickly found out about tongue weight and that it wouldn't work. so now i'm thinking aobut something similar to this. green line being square tube connected at 90deg angle with a fitting like in the image (though circular or something detachable) so i could slide it when i wanted to store it. red dots are the hooks in the bed to tie it down to. if everything worked, i could put down the tailgate, push it in and put the tailgate back up for when in motion.

i know a very, very good welder who i'm going to ask for advice or suggestions that might work better. 

looks crazy but i can't think of any other method.

truck.jpg

I think your tongue weight would be fine, but just for shitts and giggles, anybody know how much a chair weighs? If you didnt have a tailgate we could easily make it fold up into the bed, at least in my mind.  

image.png.6a6c145bd2ff90b2fb1ca04574cd5cd3.png

• Love 1

mine is currently a lawn ornament. The other day I walked by it and decided it  needs some hanging planters so it serves a purpose and looks like it is supposed to be there and not just yard junk...

i'm guessing it weighs about 250#

google says ~150# but it seems heavier than that

Edited by mbike-ski
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Benm said:

I dunno, I'll have to check the class. Even then, I'm worried about a metronome / swaying effect. 

Are you driving with this thing attached to your truck?  If so thats 2 things. Bad ass and totally redneck. 

• Like 2

Oh, i forgot to mention i saw a pic on FB where someone used skis in place of the wood slats. I thought that was pretty cool. So i have at least 2 pairs of skis i would spread around if anyone wanted to go that route. I hate throwing skis away, always been thinking of how to repurpose them. 

6 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Oh, i forgot to mention i saw a pic on FB where someone used skis in place of the wood slats. I thought that was pretty cool. So i have at least 2 pairs of skis i would spread around if anyone wanted to go that route. I hate throwing skis away, always been thinking of how to repurpose them. 

You could cut off the back 3/4 and make them into Big Feet 🦶 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Benm said:

ever find out if there is lead paint on it?

now that i'm seeing all the work it's going to take, i'm considering renting a sandblaster or hiring it out...

I didn't find any lead. 

I made a lot more work for myself starting off with a weak chemical stripper. A few hours with an angle grinder with a flap disc would brought it down to bare metal pretty easily. Media blasting might be good on the seat itself, lots of weird angles, but definitely not necessary.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Schif said:

You don't put in a new lift at a mountain you might close in a few years......

The news that they are putting in a new (probably used) lift does surprise me a lot. Most surprising thing i have read here in a while. I dont want to see BB go to the wayside, specifically since its a prime location for another DG. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2