Big Boulder Lifts

4 hours ago, skiincy said:

Looks like a handful of people bought 2.

Greg Condon got 10. Curious what he's doing with them.

Depending on what he spent, probably doing what seems to be taking the other pasrs forever, which is painting them up cute, add some new flair, and then reselling. 

40 minutes ago, rgrwilco said:

If anyone lives nearby and wants free beer, I could use an extra set of arms to lift onto my roof racks. they aren’t helping to lift into/onto cars like every other mountain does with their chair sales and my friends bailed.

make sure you video this!

mufuggers are heavy!

I would suggest a lot of beer, and someone with a pickup truck or trailer! 

Edited by mbike-ski

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, rgrwilco said:

I got the chair sitting in my backyard. Plan to strip the layers of paint, seal it from rust, replace the plastic seating pads with wood, and paint it over the next couple weekends if the weather holds.

Put a cushion on it as well.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

18 hours ago, rgrwilco said:

I got the chair sitting in my backyard. Plan to strip the layers of paint, seal it from rust, replace the plastic seating pads with wood, and paint it over the next couple weekends if the weather holds.

I grabbed one of the boulder chairs we had talked about last year. Stripped it down to bare metal, sealed it with a rust inhibiting primer, and then painted it with a few rattle cans. I "dumpster dove" for replacement fiberglass seats (not included with the bb chairs) at the abandoned Tamiment Resort which has a wrecked Hall lift from the same era.

Some advice: 

• Those fuckers have a TON of paint on them, at least 20 layers. Citra-strip was as effective as throwing sand at the tide, would recommend mechanical means of removing the paint, either media blasting or grinding, a flap disk on a grinder worked for me but expect to go through a few. 
  • If you detach the chair body from the hanger arm, or the restraint bar from the chair body, reassemble everything before painting. Otherwise you'll scratch the shit out of everything. 
  • If you do plan on separating the chair and the hanger, cutting the bolts is probably the way to go. There's so much paint in the threads of the bolts that it's nearly impossible to unscrew the nut, even with a ton of paint stripping.
Edited by liplipliplip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, liplipliplip said:

I grabbed one of the boulder chairs we had talked about last year. Stripped it down to bare metal, sealed it with a rust inhibiting primer, and then painted it with a few rattle cans. I "dumpster dove" for replacement fiberglass seats (not included with the bb chairs) at the abandoned Tamiment Resort which has a wrecked Hall lift from the same era.

Some advice: 

• Those fuckers have a TON of paint on them, at least 20 layers. Citra-strip was as effective as throwing sand at the tide, would recommend mechanical means of removing the paint, either media blasting or grinding, a flap disk on a grinder worked for me but expect to go through a few. 
  • If you detach the chair body from the hanger arm, or the restraint bar from the chair body, reassemble everything before painting. Otherwise you'll scratch the shit out of everything. 
  • If you do plan on separating the chair and the hanger, cutting the bolts is probably the way to go. There's so much paint in the threads of the bolts that it's nearly impossible to unscrew the nut, even with a ton of paint stripping.

I plan on using a steel wire disk on an angle grinder. The hanger on my chair looks to also be welded to the chair as well as bolted, so that should be fun.

im not sure I want to remove the hanger or not. It will be easier to turn into a swing chair without it, but it will probably be more stable with it.

On 11/1/2022 at 10:40 PM, rgrwilco said:

If its a Hall chair I'd be interested in the plastic seats if your chucking them

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty cool video showing the changes at JFBB. They did more than just replacing a ton of lifts.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1311420689606791

(facebook account not needed to watch)

Hopefully vail will install lights at jack frost. Having to drive from one to another for night riding is stupid.

Edited by rgrwilco
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rgrwilco said:

Pretty cool video showing the changes at JFBB. They did more than just replacing a ton of lifts.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1311420689606791

(facebook account not needed to watch)

Hopefully vail will install lights at jack frost. Having to drive from one to another for night riding is stupid.

I don’t think Jack Frost has a market for night skiing.  Are they trying to open JFBB Friday?

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don’t think Jack Frost has a market for night skiing.  Are they trying to open JFBB Friday?

I haven't been in a while, but when frost closed for the day, there was always a substantial line of cars heading to boulder. That was back when boulder did not open midweek until 3pm. Not sure what the hours and everything are now.

6 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Remarkable that 4 of the 5 main Pocono ski areas have installed new lifts this year.

What was the last one before this and when? When was Blue's first 6 pack?

I want to say Shawnee’s HSQ or Bear Creek’s A chair quad. Six pack was 05/06 I believe. @GrilledSteezeSandwichwould have the answer to that one. 

Edited by Kyle

Old and new map shows changes in BBoulder trail layout. Basically they added one fall line "black" Hickory Run parallel to their other fall line blacks (where they now have 1 lift instead of 3) and slapped some extra names on parts of trails to announce "4 new trails".

Lifts should be faster than the antiques. And nice having 5 "blacks" with no park stuff all coming off a new lift. Will likely check it out once when going to Frost. 

Nice Vail'll need way less lifties to fully open JFBB

Screenshot_20221122-084147_Chrome.jpg

xlarge.jpg

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski