Jump to content

Big Boulder Lifts


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Lift Blog said:

Black Forest is completely gone now. Merry Widow II is getting a new counterweight. Various repairs are underway on Tannenbaum, Little Boulder and Edelweiss. Vail doesn't mess around with lift maintenance.

How do I get a chair tho Mr Blog, that is the question. 

Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2020 at 7:49 PM, Lift Blog said:

Black Forest is completely gone now. Merry Widow II is getting a new counterweight. Various repairs are underway on Tannenbaum, Little Boulder and Edelweiss. Vail doesn't mess around with lift maintenance.

You need to tell us when you’re in PA! I was walking my dog around BB lake today, took some pics of Black Forest to post here, and then the king of all things lift steals my comment. Keep up the good work dude, huge fan

3CE2E27B-A1A8-4B51-89E4-6F0E2F3A9B05.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2020 at 7:49 PM, Lift Blog said:

Black Forest is completely gone now. Merry Widow II is getting a new counterweight. Various repairs are underway on Tannenbaum, Little Boulder and Edelweiss. Vail doesn't mess around with lift maintenance.

I would actually be interested in knowing when the last time that lift ran.  I think its been a loooong time.  And you are correct, Vail doesnt mess around when it comes to safety.  The interesting part of the lift issues at JFBB is that (i assume) they got inspected, and were cleared for takeoff by what ever authority inspects them.  I heard from someone that worked at JF that one of the lifts at BB definitely should not have been running at all last year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

I would actually be interested in knowing when the last time that lift ran.  I think its been a loooong time.  And you are correct, Vail doesnt mess around when it comes to safety.  The interesting part of the lift issues at JFBB is that (i assume) they got inspected, and were cleared for takeoff by what ever authority inspects them.  I heard from someone that worked at JF that one of the lifts at BB definitely should not have been running at all last year.  

I want to say it derailed during hurricane Sandy and never got corrected (could've been a later storm). The drive motor was removed a few years back to replace the one on Merry Widdow II, I'd say its been at least 5 years since it has turned. On the topic of maintenance, a buddy of mine works at AECOM, a large engineering firm, and post acquitision there was an internal job board posting to do civil/structural analysis of all lifts at the acquired Peak Resorts mountains. I'm assuming AECOM's audit, the likely lack of maintenance Peak did in it's final year(s) of ownership, and major issues identified on the quad and other lifts at Peak mountains has Vail being very, very cautious.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, liplipliplip said:

I want to say it derailed during hurricane Sandy and never got corrected (could've been a later storm). The drive motor was removed a few years back to replace the one on Merry Widdow II, I'd say its been at least 5 years since it has turned. On the topic of maintenance, a buddy of mine works at AECOM, a large engineering firm, and post acquitision there was an internal job board posting to do civil/structural analysis of all lifts at the acquired Peak Resorts mountains. I'm assuming AECOM's audit, the likely lack of maintenance Peak did in it's final year(s) of ownership, and major issues identified on the quad and other lifts at Peak mountains has Vail being very, very cautious.

The funny thing is, Peak was a huge improvement over Blue Ridge (i think thats who Peak bought from).  But remember, all the lifts need to be inspected.  Which i am sure they did.  But Vail found lifts to have issues, even after (again, assuming) they were inspected. 

You dont have someone inspect your car after you have it inspected, do you?  You assume the guy doing the state inspection, performs an inspection on your vehicle and deems it safe, or tells you what repairs need to be done before it will pass inspection.  

So the big question here is, whats the annual lift inspection really like?  it doesnt sound like it is the most thorough inspection.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

If Blue's POS lifts pass every year, I can't imagine it is very extensive. 

Correct, sort of makes me question that.  Like, then why bother with inspecting them if the inspection doesnt pick up on certain safety items?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

Correct, sort of makes me question that.  Like, then why bother with inspecting them if the inspection doesnt pick up on certain safety items?

The state inspects for safety issues like are the towers still structurally strong, does the roll-back brake work, and are the derail sensors on the sheave trains working. They don't really care what the drive train is like or other components that make it go. In fact, if it doesn't go it's even safer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

The funny thing is, Peak was a huge improvement over Blue Ridge (i think thats who Peak bought from).  But remember, all the lifts need to be inspected.  Which i am sure they did.  But Vail found lifts to have issues, even after (again, assuming) they were inspected. 

You dont have someone inspect your car after you have it inspected, do you?  You assume the guy doing the state inspection, performs an inspection on your vehicle and deems it safe, or tells you what repairs need to be done before it will pass inspection.  

So the big question here is, whats the annual lift inspection really like?  it doesnt sound like it is the most thorough inspection.  

 

Not to pick on your analogy, but if you bought a car used, best practice dictates you take it to a mechanic to get it looked at.

 

Merely complying with state regulation (PA lifts are under the jurisdiction of the department of labor), and maintaining a lift to industry best practice are likely miles apart in practice. @Lift Blog could probably shed some light here but he's probably on to bigger and better things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

So the big question here is, whats the annual lift inspection really like?  it doesnt sound like it is the most thorough inspection.  

Much like cars, it depends on the state. I live in Wyoming, where the state couldn't care less about the condition of my car. If I pay my money it's registered, no inspection required. Wyoming also does not do ski lift inspections, though many lifts are on federal land and subject to a US Forest Service inspection. Pennsylvania is one of the states with an inspection program, but they vary widely. Many states don't employ inspectors but rather rely on contractors who may also work for insurance companies and the ski resorts. There are only so many qualified people in each region to do lift inspections.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lift Blog said:

Much like cars, it depends on the state. I live in Wyoming, where the state couldn't care less about the condition of my car. If I pay my money it's registered, no inspection required. Wyoming also does not do ski lift inspections, though many lifts are on federal land and subject to a US Forest Service inspection. Pennsylvania is one of the states with an inspection program, but they vary widely. Many states don't employ inspectors but rather rely on contractors who may also work for insurance companies and the ski resorts. There are only so many qualified people in each region to do lift inspections.

If i am not mistaken, in PA a ski lift falls under "amusement ride."   Just makes you wonder about the whole inspection process.  I was told by this person, and she might not be the authority on lifts, nor know exactly what the part is even though she knew the name of it, but i consider it a pretty significant part of the lift.  it wasnt like it was some paint that was flaking off.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

If i am not mistaken, in PA a ski lift falls under "amusement ride."   Just makes you wonder about the whole inspection process.  I was told by this person, and she might not be the authority on lifts, nor know exactly what the part is even though she knew the name of it, but i consider it a pretty significant part of the lift.  it wasnt like it was some paint that was flaking off.  

 

In PA, ski lifts fall under the jurisdication of the Department of Labor (being looped in with elevators and other lifting devices), amusement rides fall under the department of agriculture (I don't understand either).

 

I think gear box issues do a lot of older lifts in. Willing, that's only based on my experience at Attitash and Doppelmayr's marketing of their new direct drive systems.

Edited by liplipliplip
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...