DIY Splitboard

Mixilplix

In the spirit of GSSsucks thread "A great way to waste time and money" thread I'm going to DIY a splitboard....

I've got two boards to use with different camber profiles..Both Libs...one has the C1 BTX camber the other a C3 camber...

Have access to all the tools and a shop so cutting/drilling /etc. is no issue..

I think the biggest challenge will be trying to install a metal edge where the board is cut....not the full length but tip contact point to tail contact point...

I wonder if Blue would ever allow some kind of up hill travel on Paradise...Given the current situation....

20200816_143928.jpg

20200816_144019.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Way to get after it..Blue has allowed uphill travel on paradise in the past..the last turn would be the sketchiest being on the far outside would be ideal..the best skiers on the mountain are nimble and agile enough to make split second quick twitch motions to avoid a catastrophic collision but others besides me, Salty and BenM might have troubles. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Way to get after it..Blue has allowed uphill travel on paradise in the past..the last turn would be the sketchiest being on the far outside would be ideal..the best skiers on the mountain are nimble and agile enough to make split second quick twitch motions to avoid a catastrophic collision but others besides me, Salty and BenM might have troubles. 

This is 100% false, it has been done but we were asked to transition and head back down mid lap by patrol. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

why must you talk about things you know nothing about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, PSUFly said:

looking forward to seeing how this turns out.  I was looking at split boards just for the hell of it the other week and they seem pretty expensive.  DIY is a great option if it works out for you

Yeah,it's expensive....Bindings are pricey too...I'm going to buy a decent set of bindings.....That way if this project doesn't work out I may just get a factory made board and use the bindings on it...

Table saw made a really nice cut on the board....Next is the really sketch part IMO).cutting a slot to epoxy a metal edge in...I found one You Tube vid where a guy uses VDS rubber and fiberglass along with the edge......What sucks is there is no clear pictures or explanation on how they are layered...I also thought about trying to get some kind  of side wall in there too but thought that might be pushing my luck...

It's  pretty amazing just how thin the base is.....Going to have to make a jig for the laminate trimmer and practice cutting with it...Need to buy some metal edge....

20200819_175359.jpg

• Like 3

I wouldn't push it to try and get side wall in there, I do not think it will be worth the hassle. I dont know much about split boarding, but the cut edge will be to the outside I think, so you wont have to worry much about tearing up the core from hitting the boards together while skinning. 

If possible I would try and get VDS rubber in though. It creates a shear layer between the stiff metal edge and the softer fiberglass/epoxy/core. I got most of my materials from skilab.com, the epoxy was from Amazon. Ski Lab is not the cheapest but the customer service was well worth it and I asked the guy a bunch of questions he had no problem answering. If you need anything let me know! 

Ski Lab hasn't returned any Emails(and there shipping prices would have been double what my order cost)...so I order some edge/VDS/fiberglass through a company called Sandwich Tech....at least the shipping was only as much as my order....Just need to source some Epoxy....any recommendations ...

Got one side ready for assembly ...Used a stacked cutting wheel on a laminate trimmer...and hot glued on two little blocks for a fence/depth guide....Pretty cheesy but it worked great...

First pass  the base wouldn't flush up with the edge so had to make a second pass and take off a fuzz....The space above the base material got bigger than I wanted but I can put some fiberglass in to take up the space....

Was super nervous when I was doing this...but I'm pretty happy with the way this one turned out...

20200902_144834.jpg

20200902_153141.jpg

20200902_153211.jpg

20200902_153228.jpg

• Like 7

While I'm waiting for epoxy I figured I would cut and fit everything.....I see a huge mess coming trying to get the edge/VDS/fiberglass and epoxy in that groove....then clamped together so everything sits nice....This maybe the toughest part of the build.....

I'm just about at the point where if I fuck things up I'm gonna be pissed....

20200905_153758.jpg

20200905_163720.jpg

Edited by Mixilplix
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...