20/21 Opening Day Set for 12/11

3 minutes ago, liplipliplip said:

Just went up on instagram, JF&BB are slated to open 12/11. Date is mountain specific, other epic mountains each have their own projected date.

Let's see how far back this get pushed...

Oh, well, i better clear out my calendar for that date.  Cant predict the weather 3 days out, but JFBB is gonna open on December 11th.  Its so dumb of them to put out any kind of a date.  And dont get me wrong, it could be sooner, but just putting a date on it at this point is worthless.  I guess its a slow instagram day.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Oh, well, i better clear out my calendar for that date.  Cant predict the weather 3 days out, but JFBB is gonna open on December 11th.  Its so dumb of them to put out any kind of a date.  And dont get me wrong, it could be sooner, but just putting a date on it at this point is worthless.  I guess its a slow instagram day.  

Opening dates are probably predicated on operating insurance start dates rather than weather forecasts, although weather probably has a lot to do with how those dates are determined. Given everything is under vail’s umbrella now, every mountain probably got negotiated with a single underwriter as part of a single deal, hence most vail mountains announcing opening dates today. 

curious to see what keystone & a-basin do this year given their little contest last year...

16 minutes ago, liplipliplip said:

Opening dates are probably predicated on operating insurance start dates rather than weather forecasts, although weather probably has a lot to do with how those dates are determined. Given everything is under vail’s umbrella now, every mountain probably got negotiated with a single underwriter as part of a single deal, hence most vail mountains announcing opening dates today. 

curious to see what keystone & a-basin do this year given their little contest last year...

Keystone announced 11/6 weather permitting....

1 minute ago, RidgeRacer said:

It's only a matter of time. I was once a JFBB passholder, even an instructor.

A lot of us started at different mountains and coalesced around one particular mountain and one row in a particular parking lot. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, liplipliplip said:

Having not skied it, can I ask what the appeal of blue is?

Where do you live??  I remember you saying you used to live somewhere else. 

Also so if I ski Blue 50 days in a season I only ski alone maybe 3-4 days max..so much commaraderie. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

12 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Where do you live??  I remember you saying you used to live somewhere else. 

Also so if I ski Blue 50 days in a season I only ski alone maybe 3-4 days max..so much commaraderie. 

I live outside boston but got a place near Mt. Pocono. 

Do love commaraderie, and good parking lots

• Like 1

9 hours ago, liplipliplip said:

It seems as though Vail has placed an opening date of every mountain as far as i can tell.  not sure if they do that every year, but i dont remember them putting a date to either JFBB last year.  

Having not skied it, can I ask what the appeal of blue is?

If you're night skiing, BB will get old quick...unless you're into park skiing. Blue is probably twice the size. Like GSS said...Blues lifts (when operational) are high speed. JFs lifts move at a snail's pace. Supposedly Vail has a plan for that though. Trails at Blue are longer and more interesting. Theres nothing like Nightmare Dream, Sidewinder, Razors etc at Frost. If you're from New England you'd probably appreciate the twisty turny stuff Blue has.

To be fair. Frost has better snow. Happy land (challenge glade) is unique to this area and lots of fun. If the off trail stuff on East Mountain is still a thing (elevator, risk it, mad trees, e glade etc.) that too is pretty cool but supposedly they aren't maintaining that stuff anymore.

11 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

JFs lifts move at a snail's pace. Supposedly Vail has a plan for that though.

I can’t imagine vail in its current state shelling out for something high speed for frost. 

Higher speed fixed grip with a loading carpet, maybe, but nothing detachable. 

edit: MAYBE a used detachable, like they did at crotchet, but nothing’s on the market

Edited by liplipliplip
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, liplipliplip said:

I can’t imagine vail in its current state shelling out for something high speed for frost. 

Higher speed fixed grip with a loading carpet, maybe, but nothing detachable. 

edit: MAYBE a used detachable, like they did at crotchet, but nothing’s on the market

Maybe Blue can sell them both of the failing detachables that they have.

• Haha 1