20/21 Opening Day Set for 12/11

52 minutes ago, Schif said:

The vert at Frost might be pushing it in terms of being able to handle a high speed detachable. What is the minimum haul rope length for a detachable lift to operate? 

Very valid point. I remember camelback having issues with re-spacing chairs on their high speed quad a while back, but I haven't cared to pay much attention to that place. It's the same reason I was given for why bear didn't put in a high speed quad though, for whatever that's worth. Frost just might not be big enough?

i dont remember hearing anything about some high speed stuff at JF, but i dont have any "insider info"  i will say this, frost is tons of fun when you can be off trail.  When that stuff isnt available, you find out real quick how small the place really is.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i dont remember hearing anything about some high speed stuff at JF, but i dont have any "insider info"  i will say this, frost is tons of fun when you can be off trail.  When that stuff isnt available, you find out real quick how small the place really is.  

This is so true. I still enjoy a trip there every now and again for a change of scenery, regardless of being able to get off groomers.

5 hours ago, Schif said:

The vert at Frost might be pushing it in terms of being able to handle a high speed detachable. What is the minimum haul rope length for a detachable lift to operate? 

What's the vert on the quad? Sullivan's Express at camelback has a similar profile and is a high speed. ~670 ft of rise with a total length of 2700 feet. It isn't as fast as most detachables but it still hauls compared to fixed grips.

36 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

I never believed Bear Creek’s excuse that they don’t have enough room for a high speed.  There is a very short high speed lift at the base of park city resort

There's a couple, right? Both in beginner areas, First Time Express and another new one that went in a few years ago.

1 hour ago, liplipliplip said:

What's the vert on the quad? Sullivan's Express at camelback has a similar profile and is a high speed. ~670 ft of rise with a total length of 2700 feet. It isn't as fast as most detachables but it still hauls compared to fixed grips.

You can easily get 11 runs an hour off that lift.  At Blue you really can’t beat 7.5 per hour off the 6-pack if you only stick to the “front face”.  8 runs per hour on both the quad and the six pack was easily attainable before they put in the RFID gates because as you didn’t have to stop and start again to get to the lift could just glide on.  

58 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Teewinot lift at Jackson hole is a high speed detachable quad lift and only like 400 vert.  

Yeah, short line doesn't limit line speed.

Stowe's got a gondola that spans a parking lot, little-to-no elevation gain and station-to-station is less than 1500 feet.

Is a short detachable feasable? Yes. Are they expensive as hell to operate and maintain? Also yes.

Edited by liplipliplip

7 minutes ago, liplipliplip said:

Yeah, short line doesn't limit line speed.

Stowe's got a gondola that spans a parking lot, little-to-no elevation gain and station-to-station is less than 1500 feet.

Is a short detachable feasable? Yes. Are they expensive as hell to operate and maintain? Also yes.

This house in Tahoe has its own lift between the main house and beach house.  It’s sort of like the inclines in Pittsburgh. 

12 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What car?

Assuming you’re getting a taxi / car service / Uber from Salt Lake City airport if your staying at the St. Regis deer valley (based on earlier photos in the thread). The hotel has an upper and lower lobby, the lower lobby forces you to take the “lift” to get to your room. 

None of which has to do with detachable suspended chairlifts and their line speeds. 

Nor does that house in Tahoe. 

Edited by liplipliplip

I live outside boston but got a place near Mt. Pocono. 

Do love commaraderie, and good parking lots

I’m guessing it’s a family place near Mt. Pocono? There’s not really a reason to go southwest to the Pokes when you can get to VT, NH, ME, and parts of NY in the same amount of time...

15 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

I’m guessing it’s a family place near Mt. Pocono? There’s not really a reason to go southwest to the Pokes when you can get to VT, NH, ME, and parts of NY in the same amount of time...

Yep. I tend to hang out around Crotched, Mt. Snow, Attitash, and Wildcat but grew up on JF and BB. Still get 5-10 days a year in the Poconos. 

18 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You drive five hours to ski the poconos?  Do you ski out west at all?

Drive five hours to see family over the holidays, skiing is typically a part of it.

And if I can get out there, I will. My company has a few clients in Bozeman I try to make excuses to meet with when I can and then more excuses to extend the trip for a few days to ski Big Sky or Bridger Bowl. Other than that, nothing more than the occasional 3 day weekend to SLC or Portland.

• Like 1