New high speed lift at Camelback official discussion thread

saltyant

Just now, Schif said:

I think the fact that it's a high speed fixed grip makes the case that it is too short to be a detachable. 

If it's a water heater though I'll need to know if it's gas or electric

Its electric.  There really isnt gas in the Poconos, and it would be silly to use propane when ski resorts have the largest electric infrastructure available.  

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Where have you experienced them?  

Greek Peak has at least one, and i found it awkward, but maybe its just because it was new to me.  

57 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Ok so this lift is high speed but not detachable.  Wow for a beginner area...

And after a relatively long walk or skate slightly uphill from the hotel, since they are marketing the addition as useful for beginner hotel guests to get up to the outdoor waterpark area without having to ride up and ski down the mountain.

That assumes the lift will embark where the current one does

So lifts are typically designed and operated with all the weight on one side of the line right? 

First of all, anyone know exactly how that works? 

Secondly, what kind of different set up does Disney need to run that gondola with people on both sides? 

6 minutes ago, Shadows said:

How many non ski related gondys are there? Barcelona has one right? Played it on Tony hawk.

Some South American cities have them.  It’s a good way to connect Favellas from city centers. 

https://archive.curbed.com/2017/9/21/16340394/urban-gondolas-cable-cars-cities

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Some South American cities have them.  It’s a good way to connect Favellas from city centers. 

https://archive.curbed.com/2017/9/21/16340394/urban-gondolas-cable-cars-cities

That's really interesting. We have a plant in Cali, Colombia. I'll have to ask my guys down there if they've ever ridden the gondola there next time I'm on a call with them. 

1 hour ago, Schif said:

So lifts are typically designed and operated with all the weight on one side of the line right? 

I dont know about that.  What about the "scenic lift rides" for the truly talentless in life that cant ski?  They come back on the lift so, i dont know how that would work.  

Doesnt Kmart usually have people download on a lift early in the season, as well as make people walk up some stairs?

1 hour ago, Schif said:

First of all, anyone know exactly how that works? 

Secondly, what kind of different set up does Disney need to run that gondola with people on both sides? 

Typically the downhill side of a lift has fewer sheaves on most tower's bogeys to account for less weight (hence the "50% max downhill capacity" sighs you'll see at most uphill stations), but chairs/cabins still account for 25-50% of the total load on any haul rope.

To run a lift uphill & downhill, or in both directions, at full capacity, uphil & downhill bogeys need to be designed symmetrically and tower foundations may be beefier to account for additional load. A lot of modern lifts will do this to allow for summer sightseeing operations

i rode a gondola in quito, ecuador that is part of their public transit system. looks essentially the same as the k1 at killy, but it was designed with every intention of people riding down as well as up. used it for a day of mountain biking, where the guide i was riding with worked with a local shop to get the city to install bike racks on a few of the cabins so locals could use it for DH laps. place was awesome, it gave you an almost 3k ft descent and topped out close to 13k feet above sea level.

• Like 1