Anybody Got Snowshoe Recommendations?

liplipliplip

Looking at buying my wife and I snowshoes as her christmas gift this year. I want a beefier pair of hiking snowshoes and am between the LL Bean Trailblazers and Tubbs flex RDG's. Both have the boa binding but tubbs does have the heel lift. Anybody have experience with either? Or, have a different pair they'd recommend?

Only real stipulation I have is I'd like to keep it under $200/pair and I'd need to get up some of the gentler 4000 footers in NH.

Purchased the Tubb's RDG's, I'm a bit concerned about the composite deck BUT I looked at the L.L. Bean's and the aluminum frame was much thinner than most competing products.

Again, a grippier hiking-focused shoe with a boa binding was what I was after, these were the two most cost-effective options, and I think the heel stand offers my wife less an opportunity to complain about her calfs on long steeps.

Will wait for snow and put up a review after I have a few miles under these things.

• 1 month later...

Update! I know everyone has been on the edge of their seats for months now, but it has snowed and I've got a few miles on the Tubbs now.

Overall, very pleased with them. The boa binding makes putting them on and off a breeze and they're much more lightweight than I thought they'd be. The shoes really don't impact your stride at all, you can walk fairly normally in them, and it's easy to feel unaware you're wearing the shoe. The float isn't as good as I had hoped but I dont really plan to use these in particularly deep snow or particularly isolated trails so I'm happy to live with it. It's also worth mentioning the grip on hardpack is pretty great.

Only complaint I have is that I've slipped out of the binding a few times, but I think that's more due to the shape of my boots. The binding can be put back on without taking your glove off anyway, so it isn't the end of the world, yet.

Goal for the purchase was buy something that was easy and comfortable enough to operate so my wife wouldn't put her nose up to snowshowing while also performing well on the trails I'd like to use them on. I'd say the Tubb's RDG hits that goal.

• Like 2