2020-21 Blue Opening Day Stoke Thread!!!

saltyant

$79 bucks for 4 hours....yikes.

I hope they get it.  But I think Blue's core weekend customer might have a little sticker shock at that. 

But maybe that's the plan?  Limit ticket sales by raising the price?  Find a nice equilibrium without having to have a reservation system?

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

I hope they get it.  But I think Blue's core weekend customer might have a little sticker shock at that. 

But maybe that's the plan?  Limit ticket sales by raising the price?  Find a nice equilibrium without having to have a reservation system?

It’s lemonade stand economics. They’ve got it dialed in and can fine tune as needed and if you search around dates and sessions plenty of better deals. Supply and demand. Supply is low and demand is high. Days of $25 opening day lift tickets are extinct like the DoDo bird and the Whooly Mammath 

I will say that $79 for a night skiing pass is bullshit and for 4 hours not the old school 4-10pm and also I will say that sure can buy a ticket for janajarh 3rd now for 8 hours for under $60 but who knows the weather and what not.  I just don’t really get how all of a sudden tickets at Blue hit $109 for an 8 hour ticket.  Even like $80-85 is a lot easier to swallow.  It’s interesting reading the FB comments and laugh that I’ll probably spend more on beer this ski season than my season pass. 

8 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I will say that $79 for a night skiing pass is bullshit and for 4 hours not the old school 4-10pm and also I will say that sure can buy a ticket for janajarh 3rd now for 8 hours for under $60 but who knows the weather and what not.  I just don’t really get how all of a sudden tickets at Blue hit $109 for an 8 hour ticket.  Even like $80-85 is a lot easier to swallow.  It’s interesting reading the FB comments and laugh that I’ll probably spend more on beer this ski season than my season pass. 

It's also interesting that they are going to a 4 and 8 hour system.  I guess the thought is, 4 hour skiers won't need the lodge.  Which makes sense I think.

Lots of challenge this year for sure.  Hope it works out.

But $109?  I just plugged in a non-holiday saturday for Stowe....$109.

4 hours ago, Benm said:

never trusting chat mf again. blue confirmed for sat at least on FB so decided to check out blue's actual site for updated hours - here are those hours

• Friday 12/11 9am-9pm
  • Saturday 12/12 8am-9pm
  • Sunday 12/13 8am-9pm

https://www.skibluemt.com/about-us/hours/

1294851056_dumbfuckinchatagents.gif

That’s really good news @Schif and @NMSKIremember your boots and poles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

It's also interesting that they are going to a 4 and 8 hour system.  I guess the thought is, 4 hour skiers won't need the lodge.  Which makes sense I think.

Lots of challenge this year for sure.  Hope it works out.

But $109?  I just plugged in a non-holiday saturday for Stowe....$109.

Blue is a lot more accessible for a daytrip than Stowe especially with the Covid-19 restrictions. Anyway Blue is trying to encourage people to make reservations in advance on non peak days. I’m sure they will sell plenty of tickets at all price points.  

10 hours ago, tnt said:

Yup, I brought this up in October. It’s great they brought back the 4 hour ticket, but at $79 it’s a little steep considering the price of full day tickets at other places. 

I don’t necessarily think they did it as a deterrent to limit sales, but more along the lines of people will pay that in this current state of affairs. I saw it with golf this year, it seemed like every course had raised their prices by $15-$20 and it was nearly impossible to get a tee time before 2pm unless you were a member. The one course I played at regularly was charging $100 this year when it was $65 last year. I asked the pro why they increased the rate and his response was “people were willing to pay to play” 

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Yup, I brought this up in October. It’s great they brought back the 4 hour ticket, but at $79 it’s a little steep considering the price of full day tickets at other places. 

I don’t necessarily think they did it as a deterrent to limit sales, but more along the lines of people will pay that in this current state of affairs. I saw it with golf this year, it seemed like every course had raised their prices by $15-$20 and it was nearly impossible to get a tee time before 2pm unless you were a member. The one course I played at regularly was charging $100 this year when it was $65 last year. I asked the pro why they increased the rate and his response was “people were willing to pay to play” 

That’s why I love capitalism!!!  Shit the White Castle burger sliders used to be like $5 for a box now they’re $7.50. If you don’t like the price nobody is forcing you to pay them. My customers get sticker shock all the time we’ve never been the least expensive option. 

3 minutes ago, Schif said:

Just checked the webcams and not only are they cranking snow out still but the 6 is running for some reason. I hope they aren't using too many working hours on it now so it breaks as soon as they open it to us. 

the quad or the six? quads been running for the last hour or so, starting and stopping. people goin up into the bay etc.

Edited by Benm

2 minutes ago, Benm said:

the quad or the six? quads been running for the last hour or so, starting and stopping. people goin up into the bay etc.

You're right it's the quad. I don't look at the cams much and just assumed that it was pointing at the 6 and didn't look very closely. 

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow serious bitching on Blues Facebook Page about ticket pricing and people from NJ asking about Covid restrictions. Blue is being careful and just post a link to governor Wolfs guidelines. 

They are doing what they need to.  If they can only sell 100 tickets, i bet there are 200 people trying to get them.  So why sell out in 10 mins at $50.  if a customer doesnt want to pony up $$$ to ski, there is likely 6 people behind him that will.  Let them fuckers that are complaining go somewhere else.  they probably litter and are bad for stoke.  

Plus i just love when people make threats on FB like "im gonna drive 4 hrs and go to Elk instead".  Yeah ok, hope your gas is free.  

Season passes are looking stupid cheap right about now.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

They are doing what they need to.  If they can only sell 100 tickets, i bet there are 200 people trying to get them.  So why sell out in 10 mins at $50.  if a customer doesnt want to pony up $$$ to ski, there is likely 6 people behind him that will.  Let them fuckers that are complaining go somewhere else.  they probably litter and are bad for stoke.  

Plus i just love when people make threats on FB like "im gonna drive 4 hrs and go to Elk instead".  Yeah ok, hope your gas is free.  

Season passes are looking stupid cheap right about now.  

even at the price for a 4 hour session, if you got your pass locked in at the end of last year, you've gotten your money's worth in 6 days. i didn't think the price was bad to begin with, but you're right; it seems like a steal now. really hope these price hikes aren't permanent, but i don't see anyone making skiing cheaper next season. as much as we may hate dealing with crowds, first timers, bus groups from new york, etc., it sucks when you're priced out of doing something. i feel like @Schif probably has the numbers on this, but i'm curious how day ticket and season pass prices compare with rate of inflation and percentage of average median household income year over year. pretty stoked i have a solid job, bought a season pass, and am gonna be skiing on friday.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

even at the price for a 4 hour session, if you got your pass locked in at the end of last year, you've gotten your money's worth in 6 days. i didn't think the price was bad to begin with, but you're right; it seems like a steal now. really hope these price hikes aren't permanent, but i don't see anyone making skiing cheaper next season. as much as we may hate dealing with crowds, first timers, bus groups from new york, etc., it sucks when you're priced out of doing something. i feel like @Schif probably has the numbers on this, but i'm curious how day ticket and season pass prices compare with rate of inflation and percentage of average median household income year over year. pretty stoked i have a solid job, bought a season pass, and am gonna be skiing on friday.

Scary thing is next season pass prices may be calculated based on multiples of this year's day passes. 

Long term if 4 hr night tix remain ~$80 they will not be selling $400 unlimited passes.

For example Epic's reimbursement scheme if season is shortened is based on a pass being worth 7 day tix. So if you skied 5 days before getting Covid you get 2/7 of your price refunded.  By that logic if day tix are worth $120 then a pass is worth $840.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski