2020-21 Blue Opening Day Stoke Thread!!!

saltyant

28 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

even at the price for a 4 hour session, if you got your pass locked in at the end of last year, you've gotten your money's worth in 6 days. i didn't think the price was bad to begin with, but you're right; it seems like a steal now. really hope these price hikes aren't permanent, but i don't see anyone making skiing cheaper next season. as much as we may hate dealing with crowds, first timers, bus groups from new york, etc., it sucks when you're priced out of doing something. i feel like @Schif probably has the numbers on this, but i'm curious how day ticket and season pass prices compare with rate of inflation and percentage of average median household income year over year. pretty stoked i have a solid job, bought a season pass, and am gonna be skiing on friday.

When I was in high school I paid like $350 for a student season pass and gas was 94 cents a gallon. Morning half day tickets on weekends were like $28 then so much higher breakeven. 

16 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Scary thing is next season pass prices may be calculated based on multiples of this year's day passes. 

Long term if 4 hr night tix remain ~$80 they will not be selling $400 unlimited passes.

For example Epic's reimbursement scheme if season is shortened is based on a pass being worth 7 day tix. So if you skied 5 days before getting Covid you get 2/7 of your price refunded.  By that logic if day tix are worth $120 then a pass is worth $840.

I don’t think Blue will charge $800 for a season pass. Maybe $500 but if they did charge $800 I wouldn’t care a couple hundred more for the year is nothing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don’t think Blue will charge $800 for a season pass. Maybe $500 but if they did charge $800 I wouldn’t care a couple hundred more for the year is nothing. 

For folks who ski as much as you and are locked in Blue customers based on geography it could be a plus as it would reduce crowds.

7 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

It doesn’t need to be open to park in the lower lot. You can also just park up top kind everyone else. 

Wasnt sure about leaving my car there. TFTI. I'll park at the top lot for skiing, then move to the bottom lot for bike riding.

Dont really want to bike back up Blue Mt with all the skiing traffic.

Edited by saltyant

9 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

even at the price for a 4 hour session, if you got your pass locked in at the end of last year, you've gotten your money's worth in 6 days. i didn't think the price was bad to begin with, but you're right; it seems like a steal now. really hope these price hikes aren't permanent, but i don't see anyone making skiing cheaper next season. as much as we may hate dealing with crowds, first timers, bus groups from new york, etc., it sucks when you're priced out of doing something. i feel like @Schif probably has the numbers on this, but i'm curious how day ticket and season pass prices compare with rate of inflation and percentage of average median household income year over year. pretty stoked i have a solid job, bought a season pass, and am gonna be skiing on friday.

My gut tells me this year will be a loss for ski resorts, so the revenue will need to be recouped over the years to come.  

We all know that skiing is expensive for the person that goes 3-4 times a year.  But has anybody ever rented a waverunner for an hour?  in comparison, skiing looks cheap.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

The only issue I have with it is that $79 for 4 hours is steep. $79 for an open-4pm I’d have no problem with. For me, at least, that now turns a saturday morning at blue into a $100+ day between the lift ticket, gas (94 miles one way), and food (Wawa,etc). The simple solution to this is to buy a pass, but as a single person with a house and student loan debt at sub $60k a year it kind of prices me out. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The only issue I have with it is that $79 for 4 hours is steep. $79 for an open-4pm I’d have no problem with. For me, at least, that now turns a saturday morning at blue into a $100+ day between the lift ticket, gas (94 miles one way), and food (Wawa,etc). The simple solution to this is to buy a pass, but as a single person with a house and student loan debt at sub $60k a year it kind of prices me out. 

I’ll add to this that it doesn’t stop me from going, but it does make me play the “well is it worth it” game every time. 

27 minutes ago, Schif said:

With a pass even when you add up gas, tolls, and a stop at Wawa it's still a lot cheaper to go skiing than it is to do most other activities. 

That is also true. Hopefully the price increases on outdoor activities (golf, skiing) is due to the current situations. I’ve never seen greens fees as high as I did this year. Some places were damn close to double what they normally charge, but it is what it is. Gotta pay to play 

34 minutes ago, Schif said:

With a pass even when you add up gas, tolls, and a stop at Wawa it's still a lot cheaper to go skiing than it is to do most other activities. 

That is true. Skiing is still a lot more expensive than a lot of other sports, though. Running, basketball, soccer, etc. require very little investment and will almost never require payment just to do the activity once the equipment is purchased.

When I started skiing in 2015, I thought it was surprisingly affordable. Not as expensive as I thought it would be. I'd ski Montage at night for like 20 bucks or something. Now with limited supply and increased demand, prices will continue to skyrocket and it is becoming a richie rich type activity.