Dec 17 2020. NADIP.

Benm

Just got back from Blue Mountain. The only dumbass MF in the house was me... and maybe half of the state of new jersey. Got a late start because I had to snowblow the driveway, we got maybe 11-12". Pulled into the lot around 10:30 not knowing what would be ahead of me and drove around in fucking circles for maybe 20min. Passed Jim Daily way out in lot near where the overlook trying to sort out parking. Ashley or whatever her name is, the PR lady who has been very present the last few days, is probably in hiding. Finally found a spot maybe 20min later. I don't even know if it was a real spot but yolo. Rope drop area didn't look too bad, passed the vista lift to go down burma - also wasn't anything crazy. Only had to dodge a handful of people on burma so things were looking ok. Got within visible distance of burma chair and knew my day was over. Photo timestamps show about a 20-25 min wait, felt way longer than that. Got on the chair with someone else who didn't care about riding solo. looking from above, there were lots of people poaching stuff, tracks everywhere. Got off the lift, headed to rope drop area and packed up.

... it doesn't end there, in fact, this is probably the wildest part.

as I'm leaving, there is a line of cars extending well down into the road coming in and some guy directing. I stopped and eavesdropped. A lady was upset that there was nowhere to park and he said "well some people are leaving, you can keep circling i guess. we are PLOWING OUT THE OVERFLOW LOTS NOW SO JUST CHECK THERE SHORTLY" (emphasis mine). If they don't have the shuttle, are they expecting people to make that hike? I have no idea. I just said wow to myself and rolled out.

stopped at the valley (after coming in hot and almost sliding into the little rectangular sign there) for some happier thoughts. Guns still going length of paradise when i left (also upper main i think). If you like BBQ or Pizza, they have food trucks set up. 

i expect them to not blame it on excess ticket sales, but season passholders instead. might be the episode they needed to institute reservations (conveniently after pushing people to buy season passes).

Anyway, what definitely should have been JADIP was anything but. I cannot wait for the valley to be open tomorrow.

IMG_20201217_1127088.jpg

IMG_20201217_1129356.jpg

IMG_20201217_1146066.jpg

IMG_20201217_1146544.jpg

IMG_20201217_1150377.jpg

IMG_20201217_1150516.jpg

IMG_20201217_1051102-panorama.jpg

IMG_20201217_1107139.jpg

• Like 2
  • Boner City 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, mbike-ski said:

stop posting this shit so wolf doesn't pull the plug...

I was thinking I hope the governors office doesn’t see some of those pictures.  Anyway today was the perfect storm.  It snowed in the flatlands, there’s tons of pent up demand from season passholders and day ticket buyers alike, Blue sold way too many tickets, limited terrain open and limited lift capacity with many riding as singles as well.  When the quad and six pack are open tomorrow through the end of the season it won’t be like this.  

Also with the lodge basically closed you don’t have hundreds of people going inside at lunch time either. People show up at 10 or 11 for the start of their morning 4 hour session and then others show up at exactly noon for the start of their PM session crazy.  I’m glad I didn’t go today but for the first hour would have been fine it’s just seeing the snowguns and groomers going on lower Main Street took away any stoke that I’d get from a pow day.  Still 3D snow. 

so get an admin to delete them, i don't care. i can't.

fwiw, blue is culling images posted on their FB page, I'm guessing ones talking about/showing masks because a couple remain with people just talkign about the lines. i'd imagine that the govs office would understand this is an anomaly and would ask blue to rectify it. 

also, almost everyone was masked. i might have seen only a few people in that huge line wihtout one

Edited by Benm
  • Like 1

Just now, Benm said:

so get an admin to delete them, i don't care. i can't.

fwiw, blue is culling images posted on their FB page, I'm guessing ones talking about/showing masks because a couple remain with people just talkign about the lines. i'd imagine that the govs office would understand this is an anomaly and would ask blue to rectify it for the future. 

Keep the pictures up..nice reporting BenM

15 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I was thinking I hope the governors office doesn’t see some of those pictures.  Anyway today was the perfect storm.  It snowed in the flatlands, there’s tons of pent up demand from season passholders and day ticket buyers alike, Blue sold way too many tickets, limited terrain open and limited lift capacity with many riding as singles as well.  When the quad and six pack are open tomorrow through the end of the season it won’t be like this.  

Also with the lodge basically closed you don’t have hundreds of people going inside at lunch time either. People show up at 10 or 11 for the start of their morning 4 hour session and then others show up at exactly noon for the start of their PM session crazy.  I’m glad I didn’t go today but for the first hour would have been fine it’s just seeing the snowguns and groomers going on lower Main Street took away any stoke that I’d get from a pow day.  Still 3D snow. 

But with more lifts and trails will they sell more tickets. I’d imagine they would. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, antman12 said:

But with more lifts and trails will they sell more tickets. I’d imagine they would. 

Yes they will but it’s very rare for such a large number of season passholders to also show up on a weekday..about as rare as it snowing a foot in MASH mid Atlantic ski Hell. 

Just now, Shadows said:

I thought I saw your car tp4. How the hell did you make it up there?

I was telling JLaw it must be the new tires I got 4,000 miles ago, cause the Focus was a mother fucking beast the past 24 hours.  The roads were still mostly covered for my whole drive up, but the blue mountain hill was the only tough spot.  I got lucky that nobody was coming down so I had the whole road to work with...pushed the gas pedal down as far as it could go and somehow made it up 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

I was upset about having to work today. Now after seeing those pictures I’d actually rather be here. I’m not sure about the weekend either. I’ll hold out until Monday. 

This weekend won’t be crowded. They stopped selling tickets.  See you at the six pack at 750am Saturday lol

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

This weekend won’t be crowded. They stopped selling tickets.  See you at the six pack at 750am Saturday lol

I think it will still be crowded. Hopefully not like today. I have a good 60 minutes of skiing in me for these mornings. If it stays uncrowded I may/may not keep skiing. 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Can't imagine pix here are likely to get Blue in much trouble. This is kind of off the beaten path. FB or IG are where things would get caught by govt.

Are you kidding? This is the absolute most popular ski message board focusing on Blue Mountain ski area.

• Like 8
  • Love 1