BB opens tomorrow!!!!!

JFskiDan

I’m split on my feelings. While I liked Boulder park, I just feel that an entire mountain dedicated to park, with Boulder being the only night skiing option between the two, didn’t make much sense. It was always a stupid decision to have to leave frost and head to Boulder to keep riding after dark. It adds traffic congestion, more emissions, not to mention just having to drive in ski boots.

I wonder if lights will be added to frost, and frosts park upgraded. I think the Boulder park trail is still the best option between the two for a large jump line but that’s really about it. The two hills should have been operated separately from each other as independent places. Sure, under the same ownership is fine, but pretending Boulder was just other trails on frosts backside is stupid. They aren’t that close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think one of the things that help both Jack Frost and Big Boulder is the proximity to lots of vacation housing. I might be off on this since I don't go there very often, but in addition to Split Rock I thought a lot of the places around there were vacation houses people would spend their winters at which help to bring people in to those hills. 

• Like 2

Just now, Schif said:

I think one of the things that help both Jack Frost and Big Boulder is the proximity to lots of vacation housing. I might be off on this since I don't go there very often, but in addition to Split Rock I thought a lot of the places around there were vacation houses people would spend their winters at which help to bring people in to those hills. 

There are a shitload of developments around both of them.  Split Rock, Brier Crest, Towamensing, Holiday Pocono, Hickory Run, MT Pocahontas, just to name a few within 5 miles of BB.  

• Like 1

Both mountains are anachronisms in today's industry. BB should have closed down 20 years ago but found a niche with the park scene. They invested well and got lucky in that they managed to capture the park crowd. Like somebody else mentioned above, park peaked 15 years ago, so they're fighting to hold onto a small share of riders and skiers there. 

JF is a nice place but its still too small to be competitive as a standalone mountain. The lifts are slow, the terrain offerings are limited. Unless you get a dump of snow nobody cares that you have glades. They do draw a crowd from the surrounding vacation communities though, and they have managed to keep the mountains afloat that way without going the resort option and building hotels and water parks, which I appreciate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EdBacon said:

So basically an Epic Pass is their way of selling you a vacation. 

Last year it got me to take 4 trips to New England and to book a trip to Vail (which got cancelled) and I skied Hunter a lot.

Frost was nice to have as an option when I did not have the extra 90 min a r/t to Hunter took.

12 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

JF's job - since Peak and then Vail acquisitions - isn't to be competitive as a standalone mt. It is to be a local option for folks from eastern PA and NJ who want a pass to larger mountains in NY VT NH (and now CO and UT). 

Everybody knows this is Vails business model.  But if they arent producing a good product at these resorts, its unlikely they will keep the local passholders entertained.  I guess they feel thats an acceptable loss.  

you bailed on Frost last week because their offering of trails wasnt up to your high standard.

PoconoOceanCity was a JFBB passholder for years.  made one trip to Hunter.  Made the move to CB.  Not every passholder wants or has the ability to travel to Huntah, snow, or out west.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Big Boulder was the first place I skiied. And eventually worked at the kids ski school as a teenager in the last 90s/00s.

besides the nostalgic, I don’t think I have any desire to go back.

I imagine have an all park mountain has more liability and doesn’t appeal to the mass market. it makes sense though. They’re totally selling vacation clubs.

Big Boulder was the first place I skiied. And eventually worked at the kids ski school as a teenager in the last 90s/00s.
besides the nostalgic, I don’t think I have any desire to go back.
I imagine have an all park mountain has more liability and doesn’t appeal to the mass market. it makes sense though. They’re totally selling vacation clubs.

I live 10 minutes away and don't have any desire to go back.
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

No doubt. Happy land too. I'm fairly certain happy land is still a thing right? Not sure if elevator and risk it etc are.

Elevator got a little bit of play last year. Not sure what Happy land is tbh. I couldn’t find it on the map (lol) so I’m assuming it’s the trees up by “solitude” or the trees on the far west trails of riders right?

One of the funnest days I ever had was at Jack Frost. It just snowed and there was lots of Perder in the woods. That was my first time skiing glades. Also my friend came and he was relatively new to skiing but made it down Flloyds. There was virtually no one there since it was 0 degrees. It was grate!

• Confused 1

Elevator got a little bit of play last year. Not sure what Happy land is tbh. I couldn’t find it on the map (lol) so I’m assuming it’s the trees up by “solitude” or the trees on the far west trails of riders right?

Trees off of challenge. They had (have) a sign in there that read "happy land.

42 minutes ago, saltyant said:

One of the funnest days I ever had was at Jack Frost. It just snowed and there was lots of Perder in the woods. That was my first time skiing glades. Also my friend came and he was relatively new to skiing but made it down Flloyds. There was virtually no one there since it was 0 degrees. It was grate!

Didn’t you have a rad day at Jackson frost with @eaf

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Didn’t you have a rad day at Jackson frost with @eaf

Yeah that was the same day. First I skied with my friend from college and his (now) wife, then they left and I skied half a run with some dude from Eagle Rock that ditched me, then I met @eafand had a rad time. He smoked me down the hill and I told him I was practicing my amazing carving skillz. He said "which part of the run did I carve - beginning, middle or end?"

I still don't think I know how to carve, just how to skid 🤷🏻‍♂️