JF 12-19-20, or the day that convinced me never to buy an Epic Pass

EdBacon

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds like a terrible experience! I would have been furious.

ive had great experiences as an epic season pass holder. customer service at other vail resort mountains have been awesome. But, I imagine the employees at JFBB are disconnected from the culture at vail corporate. I believe you get the best out of employees when they love what they do and why they do it. I imagine there’s a bunch of people who just work there because the job market is challenging in the Poconos.

I doubt any South Americans powder loving skiers would be lining up to work at JFBB. I doubt there are bunk houses of seasonal employees that party and ski between their shifts like you get at Whistler & Vail. 

The staff is probably the same as it was previously. Maybe the staff loved the park and now that’s not a thing. They’re being asked to do things differently, likely have new systems and no matter how flexible you are - any change is hard.

I hope Vail clean the mess they made with JFBB and turn it around soon. It’s possible but they’re trying to put mud on pig for a beauty competition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skiincy said:

That sounds like a terrible experience! I would have been furious.

ive had great experiences as an epic season pass holder. customer service at other vail resort mountains have been awesome. But, I imagine the employees at JFBB are disconnected from the culture at vail corporate. I believe you get the best out of employees when they love what they do and why they do it. I imagine there’s a bunch of people who just work there because the job market is challenging in the Poconos.

I doubt any South Americans powder loving skiers would be lining up to work at JFBB. I doubt there are bunk houses of seasonal employees that party and ski between their shifts like you get at Whistler & Vail. 

The staff is probably the same as it was previously. Maybe the staff loved the park and now that’s not a thing. They’re being asked to do things differently, likely have new systems and no matter how flexible you are - any change is hard.

I hope Vail clean the mess they made with JFBB and turn it around soon. It’s possible but they’re trying to put mud on pig for a beauty competition. 

You truly are the female Johnny law. 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

With the issues going down at Hunter I'll be hitting PA's own JF this Sunday. 

First PA trip of the Skison

Beats not skiing.

Right on do you think hunter will still be closed on Sunday?  Just make sure you put Hunter in the stats so the PA state police doesn’t cum after you. 

• Confused 1

I have no idea if Hunter will be open this weekend, but with that being uncertain and JF already having Sat sold out for reservations I cancelled my Hunter Sunday reservation to make a Sunday JF reservation while they were still available - as you can only reserve one Epic Mt per day.

3 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I have no idea if Hunter will be open this weekend, but with that being uncertain and JF already having Sat sold out for reservations I cancelled my Hunter Sunday reservation to make a Sunday JF reservation while they were still available - as you can only reserve one Epic Mt per day.

Thanks for cancelling!

23 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I'd bet they struggle for the rest of the season. A lot of their patrol are volunteers with lifetime passes, from the looks of it a lot of them aren't fans of Vail and "retired." Seems like Vail is hurting for staff and coming up short on recruitment across the board. Every other day there's IG and facebook stories up asking for lifties at Frost and Boulder.

1 minute ago, liplipliplip said:

I'd bet they struggle for the rest of the season. A lot of their patrol are volunteers with lifetime passes, from the looks of it a lot of them aren't fans of Vail and "retired." Seems like Vail is hurting for staff and coming up short on recruitment across the board. Every other day there's IG and facebook stories up asking for lifties at Frost and Boulder.

Ah. Vail cancelled the benefit volunteers get of free passes for family of volunteers. That'll do it...

32 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

you make your kids split a hot chocolate and you are criticizing a business for charging people to utilize their services? Volunteers still get free passes. 

My kids split a hot chocolate so that the break takes 15 min instead of 30.

I am criticizing them for making a change that led to staffing issues that prevent them operating on the promised schedule.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

you make your kids split a hot chocolate and you are criticizing a business for charging people to utilize their services? Volunteers still get free passes. 

I don't know, new management taking away a benefit from unpaid volunteers shows the new management values them less than old management. If the mountain is closing because they can't muster up volunteer patrol, it does show the work they were doing was valuable.

Just disappointing to see corporate policy overtake mountain personality. If Vail owned Mad River Glen, they'd close the single chair citing safety.

This is exactly what would have happened if Maris corp would have been able to take over Snowy Peaks in the 1990 classic movie Ski Patrol.  Luckily the Snowy Peaks ski patrol was able to thwart the evil conglomerate's takeover attempt.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, NMSKI said:

This is exactly what would have happened if Maris corp would have been able to take over Snowy Peaks in the 1990 classic movie Ski Patrol.  Luckily the Snowy Peaks ski patrol was able to thwart the evil conglomerate's takeover attempt.  

I mean, i have watched the movie a few times, but did u have to look it up for the names or do you have some rain man in you?

oh, and remember when some people thought it would be awesome if Vail bought Blue?  

Edited by JFskiDan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2