JF 12-19-20, or the day that convinced me never to buy an Epic Pass

EdBacon

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

I mean, i have watched the movie a few times, but did u have to look it up for the names or do you have some rain man in you?

oh, and remember when some people thought it would be awesome if Vail bought Blue?  

I remembered snowy peaks but I had to look up Maris.

• Like 2

I'd bet they struggle for the rest of the season. A lot of their patrol are volunteers with lifetime passes, from the looks of it a lot of them aren't fans of Vail and "retired." Seems like Vail is hurting for staff and coming up short on recruitment across the board. Every other day there's IG and facebook stories up asking for lifties at Frost and Boulder.

Do the lifties and staff still get family passes?

2 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Long lines for slow lifts feeding short runs on tame terrain.

At least they still blow snow in the trees.

It is a lot closer than Hunter but will not do it again this season without East open. 

East is pointless without the really fun stuff anyway. Rivershot is virtually no different than t bolt or challenge. Now rivershot to the old elevator glade to pick your route on the elevator or mad tree glade to risk it on to floyds is different all together. Sounds like those last two options ain't happening. 

12 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

East is pointless without the really fun stuff anyway. Rivershot is virtually no different than t bolt or challenge. Now rivershot to the old elevator glade to pick your route on the elevator or mad tree glade to risk it on to floyds is different all together. Sounds like those last two options ain't happening. 

At least the runs are a bit longer, the headwalls steeper, the river views prettier, and the lines shorter.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

42 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Frost is pointless without the really fun stuff anyway. Rivershot is virtually no different than t bolt or challenge. Now rivershot to the old elevator glade to pick your route on the elevator or mad tree glade to risk it on to floyds is different all together. Sounds like those last two options ain't happening. 

FIFY. 

On 1/7/2021 at 1:54 PM, liplipliplip said:

I don't know, new management taking away a benefit from unpaid volunteers shows the new management values them less than old management. If the mountain is closing because they can't muster up volunteer patrol, it does show the work they were doing was valuable.

Just disappointing to see corporate policy overtake mountain personality. If Vail owned Mad River Glen, they'd close the single chair citing safety.

So... I use to work for CorePower Yoga for a few years. Back in like 2009-2013’ish, they offered “yoga for trade.” Basically, you got free yoga membership in exchange for shifts at the studio. 

but, they eventually did away with it. I read it was because of labor laws. I think they got a lawsuit because people were being asked to “volunteer” for other shifts and it didn’t meant minimum wage requirements.

im clearly not a lawyer but eliminating the free pass for family members could have been a part of a larger initiative to not break labor law rules. Just a thought .. 

On 1/7/2021 at 10:49 AM, liplipliplip said:

Every other day there's IG and facebook stories up asking for lifties at Frost and Boulder.

I get digital ads for jobs at resorts that I look up too. 

For example. I’m in Utah now and when I research Snowbird, I get snowbird ads for the joining their team. I research Snowbasin and then I get liftie ads for that mountain, etc.

Digital ads take into account your cookies and your internet footprint... so search history, interests, pages you like, where you live, what your visit, etc. 

sure they may be struggling to find staff. Not really arguing that. 

but you may also be their target demographic in their ad campaign. So, you could be seeing their ad campaign more than other people.

18 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Long lines for slow lifts feeding short runs on tame terrain.

At least they still blow snow in the trees.

It is a lot closer than Hunter, but will not do it again this season without East open. 

Did you at least get some nice early laps in before the lines got long??

Not many as my 2nd lift ride included a ~15 min pause - but it got more and more crowded as day went on to the point that after 10 runs I was just - I've skied everything they have open at least once, none of it is so great that it is worth standing in line this long to ski it again. By the last run I was re-skiing the easiest stuff as that lift had the shortest line.

Followed by - should I head over to Boulder? Nah I've read some of their lifts are down so that must be insane too. Lesson learned - next time suck it up and drive to Hunter if it's a weekend or holiday and don't consider having Frost much of a reason to considering whether to renew Epic or change it up.

They were really understaffed too. Nobody engaging in any lift line management and only 1 lift (the A one - that was closed last year) even had someone scanning passes. 

3 hours ago, skiincy said:

So... I use to work for CorePower Yoga for a few years. Back in like 2009-2013’ish, they offered “yoga for trade.” Basically, you got free yoga membership in exchange for shifts at the studio. 

but, they eventually did away with it. I read it was because of labor laws. I think they got a lawsuit because people were being asked to “volunteer” for other shifts and it didn’t meant minimum wage requirements.

im clearly not a lawyer but eliminating the free pass for family members could have been a part of a larger initiative to not break labor law rules. Just a thought .. 

Have you ever done goat yoga?  My friend did in the fall and it looks like a bahhhdass time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Not many as my 2nd lift ride included a ~15 min pause - but it got more and more crowded as day went on to the point that after 10 runs I was just - I've skied everything they have open at least once, none of it is so great that it is worth standing in line this long to ski it again. By the last run I was re-skiing the easiest stuff as that lift had the shortest line.

Followed by - should I head over to Boulder? Nah I've read some of their lifts are down so that must be insane too. Lesson learned - next time suck it up and drive to Hunter if it's a weekend or holiday and don't consider having Frost much of a reason to considering whether to renew Epic or change it up.

They were really understaffed too. Nobody engaging in any lift line management and only 1 lift (the A one - that was closed last year) even had someone scanning passes. 

Are your kids starting to miss Blue mountain?

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Can't say the lines at Blue on a weekend are any better. 

At Hunter it is possible to avoid any serious lines even on weekends by not taking the 6 other than first or last hr.

They def prefer Epic pass to Blue pass.

53 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Can't say the lines at Blue on a weekend are any better. 

At Hunter it is possible to avoid any serious lines even on weekends by not taking the 6 other than first or last hr.

They def prefer Epic pass to Blue pass.

Can confirm. Line for the flyer was pretty bad yesterday, line for the F triple was not great, but the lines for the lift at north and west were pretty nonexistent. Unfortunately that stuff never really saw much sun so visibility was a little flat and snow was a little scrapy. At blue if I'm there past 10-1030am on a weekend, I find myself riding the doubles a bit more than I normally would. I haven't seen the quad and sixpack lines meet yet, but I think this coming weekend might be the true test of how reduced ticket sales actually are at a lot of ski areas around here.

• Like 1

WMMR/Preston and Steve just announced they’re not holding the cardboard classic this year at all. Assuming it’s due to trying to quell large gatherings but also wondering if Vail could’ve put the axe in that as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

WMMR/Preston and Steve just announced they’re not holding the cardboard classic this year at all. Assuming it’s due to trying to quell large gatherings but also wondering if Vail could’ve put the axe in that as well. 

sucks but i guess it was to be expected. for the last 5 years we've had friends come up and we make a long wknd out of it, been a big deal to us for a while now. we're at 2:39 in the vid and they called it a "giant rendition of a piece of shit"

• Like 1