JF 12-19-20, or the day that convinced me never to buy an Epic Pass

EdBacon

Lake Harmony area in general was a resort community going back to the 40s. It predates BB being a lightweight relative to what skiers want now. The condos are mostly newer, but it still follows from that earlier development. It's hard to just pack up and leave when the whole place has like 80 years of inertia behind it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

Lake Harmony area in general was a resort community going back to the 40s. It predates BB being a lightweight relative to what skiers want now. The condos are mostly newer, but it still follows from that earlier development. It's hard to just pack up and leave when the whole place has like 80 years of inertia behind it.

Are the people supporting it also 80 years old? 

1 minute ago, Shadows said:

Are the people supporting it also 80 years old? 

Im sure there's somebody with a place in Lake Harmony that's been there since like the 60s or 70s something, at least. Maybe went to Split Rock for vacation as a kid before that.

Edited by EdBacon

The lake, beach, and boulderview are a bigger draw for those condos than BB ever could be. 
btw, who owns boulderview these days?  
the places over at JF definitely pull in people that want to be “slopeside”. (Haha). I wonder if those condos spiked after vail bought JF (again, haha)

my parents place at okemo sold quickly after being on the market for quite some time one the purchase by vail was complete. 

43 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

The lake, beach, and boulderview are a bigger draw for those condos than BB ever could be. 
btw, who owns boulderview these days?  
the places over at JF definitely pull in people that want to be “slopeside”. (Haha). I wonder if those condos spiked after vail bought JF (again, haha)

my parents place at okemo sold quickly after being on the market for quite some time one the purchase by vail was complete. 

oh man, place at okemo? my parents legitimately would have been interested hah. 

1 hour ago, EdBacon said:

Im sure there's somebody with a place in Lake Harmony that's been there since like the 60s or 70s something, at least. Maybe went to Split Rock for vacation as a kid before that.

My family bought a place in split rock in 1972. They and many others spent the summers there. The cottage owners association was 90 percent second home owners from NJ, the Philly and NY suburbs. The wife and kids would spend the entire summer there and the men would come up after work on Fridays and spend the weekend. Tennis was a huge part of it. The courts were busy 7 days a week from 8-11. Then everyone would meet after lunch at the lake. Everyone drove golf carts and socialized every Saturday night. By the 90s that scene started to fizzle out and in 2002 my family sold, mainly because it just wasn’t the same in the summer. I’ve always been told that the lake harmony area is busier in the summer. 

• Like 4

My family bought a place in split rock in 1972. They and many others spent the summers there. The cottage owners association was 90 percent second home owners from NJ, the Philly and NY suburbs. The wife and kids would spend the entire summer there and the men would come up after work on Fridays and spend the weekend. Tennis was a huge part of it. The courts were busy 7 days a week from 8-11. Then everyone would meet after lunch at the lake. Everyone drove golf carts and socialized every Saturday night. By the 90s that scene started to fizzle out and in 2002 my family sold, mainly because it just wasn’t the same in the summer. I’ve always been told that the lake harmony area is busier in the summer. 

It is. I lived in Lake harmony for a year....close to big boulder. I used to enjoy the summer nights walking through the woods to the beach, lake, BVT etc. Open your windows and you could hear a different band playing every night. People everywhere. It was cool. My daughter used to work at Shenanigans before she drove and I had to pick her up every freaking Saturday night...place was packed with people all the time.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
I was thinking of going to Jack Frost tomorrow but lots of complaints on FB about long lift lines & lifts not being open due to too cheap to pay for workers a global pandemic. 

No lift lines during the week, but the quad at the bottom of tbolt is usually not running, so you need to take the East mountain lift or exhibition lift.
  • Thanks 1