Utah stoke thread...2021!!!

saltyant

11 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

Fuck no.  It isn’t worth it for them to pay you $102 to ski deer valley over Brighton.  

On 3/2, Brighton is $97 and Deer Valley is $199. I've heard both have amazing groomers so I'm trying to reconcile why DV charges so much more... more exclusive? Zero lift lines?

I know DV has a funicular and fancy eateries, but I can use that $102 savings for caviar and oysters while still skiing fantastic groomers at Brighton...

Edited by saltyant
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mbike-ski said:

I liked when DV used ton give you a free lift ticket if you showed a boarding pass / plane ticket for the same day. Fly in th morning, have a posh lunch then catch a a free mountain tour in the afternoon.

@mbike-ski I thought that was like a Ski Utah thing? I didn't think that was specific to DV, but I've never flown in early enough in the day to take advantage. 

@saltyant are you saying Brighton is $x, and DV is $x + 106? As in, you're closing in on $200 to ski DV? In my opinion, absolutely not worth paying that much to ski groomers at DV. There may be a ton of them, but I didn't think they were exceptionally better than some of the groomers I skied at Brighton or Snowbasin. Obviously depends on snow conditions, and you can have a pretty big disparity between PC, the cottonwoods, and the ogden area stuff. Also DV is kinda just a cluster of a resort. It's super hard to get anywhere because everything is spread out over like 6 or 7 different little peaks. Someone who's skied there more than me will probably disagree, but as someone who's only been there a small handful of times, I found it kinda confusing to navigate around the mountain as opposed to somewhere like Snowbasin that's very linear.

Edit: just saw the above post. DV does not allow snowboarders, so yeah there's a degree of exclusivity there, and the place is definitely swankier than Brighton. Zero lines? No idea. Lines that are shorter than Brighton if you're there on a weekend? Probably a little bit, yeah. You can ride the funicular and eat at the slopeside restaurant without skiing DV. Might be a cool option if you get into PC mid day to just swing up to DV, park and take the funicular up to the St Regis for a snack and a weak drink and take in the scene.

Edited by Justo8484
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

are you saying Brighton is $x, and DV is $x + 106? As in, you're closing in on $200 to ski DV?

Correct, except $x + 102 for DV

I'll most likely do Brighton unless I find a deal somewhere for DV (unlikely).

Edited by saltyant

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Correct, except $x + 102 for DV

I'll most likely do Brighton unless I find a deal somewhere for DV (unlikely).

Yeah, I've only ever skied DV when I've had a ticket hookup. Can't justify paying that much more money just to ski groomers, in my opinion, but to each their own. I value good terrain more than I value exclusivity, prestige, and snobbery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DV is super easy to get to if youre staying in PC, unsure if thats worth the extra $102. If youre looking at a map it looks easy to get from PC to BCC, but Guardsman Pass is closed in the winter, you need to go out 80 to SLC then up BCC. Keep that in mind, its about an hour drive if its dry. BCC could also be a traffic nigh mare, 100% go to Brighton as I think you would enjoy it but also watch the forecast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

DV is super easy to get to if youre staying in PC, unsure if thats worth the extra $102. If youre looking at a map it looks easy to get from PC to BCC, but Guardsman Pass is closed in the winter, you need to go out 80 to SLC then up BCC. Keep that in mind, its about an hour drive if its dry. BCC could also be a traffic nigh mare, 100% go to Brighton as I think you would enjoy it but also watch the forecast. 

Thanks. Yeah, it's a long way around via I-80 but I'll probably be up at 5-6 am everyday so no big deal on the 1 hr drive to Brighton. I'll be staying in Cottonwood area in SLC for 2 days then

Edited by saltyant

1 minute ago, GSSucks said:

No hate to anyone who snowboards but snowboarding is the dumbest form of transportation in the history of transportation. Ski a skiers only mountain and you will figure it out, it will ski 100x better than any mountain that allows snowboarders. 

We’ll get over it😂😂😂

• Like 1

I mean I agree about snowboarding not being great at transportation so the next time I need to get from town to town in the snow I'll use skis. If I just want to go noodle around and have some fun I think the board will do just fine. 

9 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

Ski a skiers only mountain and you will figure it out, it will ski 100x better than any mountain that allows snowboarders. 

Why? The only reason I can think of is newbie snowboarders go down steep slopes sideways and scrape all the snow off, exposing the ice underneath (e.g. boilerplate on Chute)

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Why? The only reason I can think of is newbie snowboarders go down steep slopes sideways and scrape all the snow off, exposing the ice underneath (e.g. boilerplate on Chute)

SaltyAnt did you know blue mountain didn’t allow snowboarders until the 96-97 ski season. At the time they were on the short list of places that didn’t allow them including Alta, Deer Valley, Taos and Mad River glen.  The problem for blue is if a family of five showed up and had one snowboarder they’d go to camelback instead so they had to allow snowboarders due to economics.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

SaltyAnt did you know blue mountain didn’t allow snowboarders until the 96-97 ski season. At the time they were on the short list of places that didn’t allow them including Alta, Deer Valley, Taos and Mad River glen.  The problem for blue is if a family of five showed up and had one snowboarder they’d go to camelback instead so they had to allow snowboarders due to economics.  

They also used to not allow you to jump off the rollers or lips on the side of trails. Now they let you pretty much ski anywhere. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

They also used to not allow you to jump off the rollers or lips on the side of trails. Now they let you pretty much ski anywhere. 

Yup patrollers would say keep your skis on the snow.  They also didn’t like when people went up the side of the trail like on paradise or sidewinder. 

35 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

No hate to anyone who snowboards but snowboarding is the dumbest form of transportation in the history of transportation. Ski a skiers only mountain and you will figure it out, it will ski 100x better than any mountain that allows snowboarders. 

Not really sure I'd consider snowboarding (or skiing) as transportation, but yeah...traversing anything on a snowboard sucks.  Sometimes when I visit my buddy in CO, I'll steal one of his extra ski poles for the day to make traversing not suck as much...especially at places like Steamboat where the hike to terrain ends in a runout that's pretty flat

38 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

Besides traversing please fill me in on how it skis better?

• Like 1