Utah stoke thread...2021!!!

saltyant

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

I wonder if it would be better to just travel with carry on, and rent...

Then you have the time involved in renting and would be tough to have all your ski gear plus clothing in a carryon bag plus boots.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pcklein31 said:

Damn.. hope it is better when I land Thursday night 3/11..  it is making me reconsider not pre-renting an AWD vehicle and relying on National's top tier status.. 🤔

There were maybe 20 when I arrived back in mid December.

Good Luck! Enjoy!

Good luck on SUV rental. Risky!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not surprised to see that picture of the airport. It's a design nightmare. When I flew out of there the line for security wrapped all around that "multi purpose room" as I'll call it so you were in a huge line snaked around all the baggage claims and lined up right in front of the ski carousel. Make sure you get to the airport with plenty of time to fly home since you know how far of a walk it is from the gates to the entrance. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, eaf said:

@saltyant, where are you renting?

Enterprise. I always stick with reputable rental car services and have never had any issues with cars (knock on wood).

I reserved a small SUV but got a Hyundai Kona... at least it has snow tires, AWD and it's not supposed to snow this week. They said they're all out of SUVs which is kinda BS because that's what I paid for, but good thing I dont really care in this case

And like Steeze said, even if you rent skis you still have to deal with that hassle. Plus I'm not even sure they rent RTMs 

Edited by saltyant

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Save $700?  How much is an SUV rental in SLC?  It’s about $400 a week for a midsize SUV rental from the Denver airport in April.  

I believe national is a bit more expensive.

For a mid size car it was like 300 for 9 days.   A mid size suv was like 600( but i know some of there suv's are front wheel drive). They listed Standard AWD vehicle for 1000 for the 9 days.

My past trips I got away with the mid size price which gets me access the executive lot and I got an AWD but this was in April and in December.

If I want to be really cheap, I can try my luck and of it does not work out I can go back in a couple days and try luck again. Haha

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Enterprise. I always stick with reputable rental car services and have never had any issues with cars (knock on wood).

I reserved a small SUV but got a Hyundai Kona... at least it has snow tires, AWD and it's not supposed to snow this week. They said they're all out of SUVs which is kinda BS because that's what I paid for, but good thing I dont really care in this case

And like Steeze said, even if you rent skis you still have to deal with that hassle. Plus I'm not even sure they rent RTMs 

Hyundai Konas are nice.  I saw one recently.  I’ve had a Hyundai Santa Fe a few times and I think they consider that a midsize SUV.  I usually go with Alamo even though the Alamo doesn’t have a basement.  Every time I rent a car they try to upsell me on additional insurance and all that jazz..at the Denver airport they ask if I’m going into the mountains and try to get me into a V6 for more johnny cash...

8CD54129-8C0A-45C9-95B1-9E99A6BEC39D.gif

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pcklein31 said:

Damn.. hope it is better when I land Thursday night 3/11..  it is making me reconsider not pre-renting an AWD vehicle and relying on National's top tier status..

I think it might have been because several flights landed at the same time. I've never seen so many damn people in baggage claim and I'm legit trying to stay away from people and have been wearing the mask thingy the whole time (which isn't bad since I got a comfortable one)

Thanks! Very excite for 6 days of skiing ahead

• Like 1

Been hitting up mostly Avis the past few years, love their app. As soon as the plane lands I pull it up and see what they have assigned me, then click to change it and see what else is available. If I don’t like any of them I check again a couple times on the way to get bags. Accept something when I see what I like. Go right to car, scan QR code at the gate and drive away.

I used National for agile a few years ago. Never made it to Executive but got to the base tier that lets you pick from the Emerald Aisle so that was kind of cool. Once walked back through MCO to the other side to see if they had anything better. 😂

I use Alamo quite a bit too since we go to Disney so much and they basically own the Orlando market. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Park City is so colossal that I'm not even gonna try to memorize the trail map... just gonna wing it. I wanna ski across the whooolle mountain all the way into town. Hopefully I can figure out how to get back to the cabriolet before time runs out. This is gonna be good!

Check out the Jupiter lift on the far right corner of the park city side.  Always found fun stuff there 

• Like 2
  • Boner City 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, saltyant said:

Park City is so colossal that I'm not even gonna try to memorize the trail map... just gonna wing it. I wanna ski across the whooolle mountain all the way into town. Hopefully I can figure out how to get back to the cabriolet before time runs out. This is gonna be good!

Thaynes has the best bumps and you can lap them using the lift of the same name.

Be sure to huck the cornice atop McConkey's Bowl!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1