Utah stoke thread...2021!!!

saltyant

32 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Salty did you check out any of the mining relics at PC? I think they are off of the Thaynes lift and bottom of Jupiter area.

Edit: probably other places too, but those are the ones I remember. 

I saw some old mine buildings off the Bonanza Lift which was really cool. Would have liked to read the signs but I was pressed for time trying to figure out how to get to Town Lift by 4 pm 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

wow you're there early @saltyant

Correct. This is the time I should have been here yesterday. I hate feeling rushed doing things. It's nice to chill for an hour beforehand, though I dont feel like standing at the front of the lift for a full hour today so I'll find a comfortable seat for a while after I get my demo Nordica Enforcers or RTM 171s

Edited by saltyant

First demos: Nordica Enforcer 94, 179s

@enjoralas they dont have the Sky HDs but they have some other Rossignol skis

Ironically the demo dude suggested Kendos/Mantras if I try something else, though JLaw advises against those lol. I might try one or both just for fun 💁‍♂️

Not what what else to try... I think Head Kore might be too light for what I want??? Maybe some sort of Salomons... ?

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Ironically the demo dude suggested Kendos/Mantras if I try something else, though JLaw advises against those lol. I might try one or both just for fun 💁‍♂️

Not what what else to try... I think Head Kore might be too light for what I want??? Maybe some sort of Salomons... ?

Like I said earlier, let the guy know what you like and don't like about the skis. They may be able to find something that works for you that nobody here is suggesting. The best ski is the one that works for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

I think a light ski would work well for the way you make your turns. I think it’s not necessarily the weight you’re looking for but a more stable base underfoot, more width and stability to keep going where you want them to when you encounter chop and not go off on their own.  You can get that in a lighter ski. If others here contradict me on that, listen to them. I only know as much as what I’ve skied which is far less than most.

I’d tell you to give the Soul 7 a try but I think it’s wider than you want at 106. You should have jumped on my demo pair last year in Steamboat.

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow lifts open early. You’re gonna be warm with that red hoodie layer. 

Been a while since i've skied canyons, but i believe the tin can used to run earlier than the regular mountain lifts, as it isn't really a "skiing" chairlift but more of a transit thing to get you from the parking lot to the actual base. We stayed in the condos at the base of the cabriolet a few times and I swear I remember getting on that thing and up to the base of the ski area before the real lifts started spinning for the day.

48 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Nope, just the brands are listed online (e.g. Volkl, etc)

From what I've read (haven't skied them, so grain of saltyant and whatnot) next year's M6 mantra is supposed to be a more accessible/easier to ski ski than the M5 and previous iterations of the manta have been; tweaked flex characteristics, slightly looser rocker profile, etc. I wouldn't rule it out just because @AtomicSkier says the version he has (which is a few years old) would punish you. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, enjoralas said:

I think a light ski would work well for the way you make your turns. I think it’s not necessarily the weight you’re looking for but a more stable base underfoot, more width and stability to keep going where you want them to when you encounter chop and not go off on their own.  You can get that in a lighter ski. If others here contradict me on that, listen to them. I only know as much as what I’ve skied which is far less than most.

I’d tell you to give the Soul 7 a try but I think it’s wider than you want at 106. You should have jumped on my demo pair last year in Steamboat.

Waist width and flex only go so far in the stability game. The ski industry is in a weird pivotal place right now, and I think trends might start reversing in a few years unless there's some cosmic leap in ski construction (Renoun maybe? Haven't skied them). Wider underfoot will definitely make a ski more stable when skiing over uneven or chopped up snow, as will more layers of titanal, carbon, fiberglass, flax, cork, whatever other sort of exotic material you throw in there, but the mass of a ski plays a large role too. Stiff, wide, light skis tend to get tossed around and deflected in firmer crud snow than a ski with the same dimensions and flex but more mass would. If you think of it like a car, you can have a car that's super lightweight, really stiff, and it'll probably corner like a dream on a racetrack. We don't ski on the equivalent of a racetrack very often, especially at blue, so you need a car (or ski) that has some degree of compliance and suspension to it, to help it track the ground and maintain its grip when navigating over bumpier chopped up terrain. Blister Gear goes into pretty good detail about this with pretty much every ski they review, and while I think they probably ski on the more aggressive end of things, a lot of what they talk about in their reviews can be extrapolated to make sense in a lot of different contexts, too. Or just go the TGR route and get the longest, stiffest ski you can find.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Your demo pair are the heaviest skis ever.  

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Your demo pair are the heaviest skis ever.  

Binding weight and ski weight don't equate to the same thing on your feet though. A light ski with a heavy binding is still gonna ski like a like ski (assuming you're carving turns and not sliding around) until you get it in the air when you might notice the additional weight on your feet from the bindings.

4 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

Binding weight and ski weight don't equate to the same thing on your feet though. A light ski with a heavy binding is still gonna ski like a like ski (assuming you're carving turns and not sliding around) until you get it in the air when you might notice the additional weight on your feet from the bindings.

What about a heavy ski with a heavy binding.  Those are monster 108s.  

Really liking the Enforcers. Very fun ski and I could definitely see myself buying a pair.

You guys will be proud. I fell in some gnarly terrain on a n ungroomed black diamond and my ski popped off. I was able to rebind on steep ass slope with lots of Perder by using the leg crossing technique. Sick!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Really liking the Enforcers. Very fun ski and I could definitely see myself buying a pair.

You guys will be proud. I fell in some gnarly terrain on a n ungroomed black diamond and my ski popped off. I was able to rebind on steep ass slope with lots of Perder by using the leg crossing technique. Sick!

Very nice and I’m enjoying the pictures from today.  Did you stop and get coffee? Or maybe a vanilla Latte @antman12 style?