Utah stoke thread...2021!!!

saltyant

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

44k in a day is solid...those kind of stats would make @Ski2Live Live2Ski Cream his pants.   I’ve only had a few days at JH above that and most of my recent trips are more like 20-25k but I quit at lunch a lot. 

It didn't feel like 44k since I only did 26 runs but that averages 1,723 feet per run. Sick!

12 minutes ago, saltyant said:

It didn't feel like 44k since I only did 26 runs but that averages 1,723 feet per run. Sick!

Fast lifts and zero liftlines.  My biggest vert day ever at Jackson hole was 28 runs and 61,000 vert and I stopped for lunch. It was a hardpack day and I did a lot of screaming 3 minutes long 2800 vert runs off the gondola and the skis I was on were 67mm underfoot.  Ahhh memories and I had spaghetti for lunch that day from Casper lodge.   9-4+ as I boarded last gondola like 3:57 woo woo woo..although I used an avocet watch in high school I just kept a trail map in my pocket and used a pen to make a tic mark for every lift I rode.  On that same trip i also had a 16k day with my Montana buddy who’s so pokey it’s rediculous 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Boner City 1

13 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty I’ll say I bet you skied more vert than anybody today at park city with swapping skis.  

I don't know about that, I'm sure there are some die hards out there that ski open to close without taking a lunch break

Just now, saltyant said:

I don't know about that, I'm sure there are some die hards out there that ski open to close without taking a lunch break

Probably, but you had a hell of a day even with getting on a bunch of skis. Major WTGAI and Brighton tomorrow 🙌

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Less than you’d think. I’d say 1/10 of one percent or they’re like Indiggio who are mostly skiing bumps so not cranking out the silly vert. Most prob do 10-15k vert in a day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The groomers off of Great Western to skiers left are fantastic. You can take them all the way back down to the lift. Cruising through groomers tracks until tall pines is absolutely beautiful. The groomers to skiers left off of the Milly lift are also pretty great. Super unique because they are fairly wide open but with lots of undulation. 

Brighton is definitely not as big as PC, but I still think you will enjoy it there a lot because of how different it is. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, toast21602 said:

The groomers off of Great Western to skiers left are fantastic. You can take them all the way back down to the lift. Cruising through groomers tracks until tall pines is absolutely beautiful. The groomers to skiers left off of the Milly lift are also pretty great. Super unique because they are fairly wide open but with lots of undulation. 

Brighton is definitely not as big as PC, but I still think you will enjoy it there a lot because of how different it is. 

We found a lot of fresh snow in the mellow trees skier's right of Milly lift.

More challenging trees and good snow was up off skier's right of Snake Creek Express.
Try Doyle's Dive at the top of Snake Creek lift.

When we were there, Great Western Express having issues, so we didn't get over there until the afternoon, so the snow was getting kinda heavy.  That area gets the afternoon sun, so you might want to hit it up early enough so the light is good, but the sun hasn't beat on the snow as much.  The groomers would be fast, I suspect.

Take/Post more pics!!

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That would be 11 Tram Laps at Jackson hole..at chamonix perhaps 5 off the Auguille de midi woo

I'm not sure that it's logistically possible to ski 5 midi laps in a day. Assuming you're not an eXtreme mountaineer, you'd be skiing down valle blanche, which is over 12 miles long with a hike or train ride back into town. You're also navigating crevasses and trying not to die...

2 hours ago, indiggio said:

We found a lot of fresh snow in the mellow trees skier's right of Milly lift.

good stuff in there, but know where you're going! take the wrong turn and you're cliffed out above a 50+ footer with no option but to send it or hike back up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Uhhh yeah that's not for me then 💁‍♂️

Don't duck ropes and you're fine. The stuff I'm referencing is out of bounds, technically, but there's an access gate that may or may not be open when you're there. Don't go through it and you won't get cliffed out 🙂

37 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

Don't duck ropes and you're fine. The stuff I'm referencing is out of bounds, technically, but there's an access gate that may or may not be open when you're there. Don't go through it and you won't get cliffed out 🙂

Its also super easy to end up in someones driveway skiing off the trees to the right off Great Western. No cliffs, but a long walk back to the lift. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I started at the bottom (of the Cottonwood Road) and now I'm at the top (or not???)

20210302_080551.thumb.jpg.fc7f7e656cd16d289f52267af00b7b13.jpg

I agree with what a lot of people said.. enjoy Milly the best, just be careful to carry speed a few places or you will not make it uphill spots 😀. As other's said too the groomers between Snake Creek and Great Western are fun too.... With a few steeper groomers over on the blacks to the right of GW.

Enjoy.. such a fun laid back spot.. I love chilling in the lodge at the base of Milly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

TFTI. After taking probably the hardest fall of my skiing career yesterday on a blue mogul run, I might rip groomers most of the day today. Fortunately my ribs feel better and I think it's just a minor bruise. Maybe I'll try to get 50k vert @GrilledSteezeSandwich

Thanks for the tag. You’re really getting after it. The only way to become a less clumsy skier is to ski more. 

• Thanks 1