JF 1/20

C1erArt

Loaded up my pass with another ticket, parked slope side, got the boots on, and started off on Thunderbolt. Slopes nicely groomed, with 2” freshies on top. Had to head over to the E Mtn lift since it looks like they stopped running Challenge lift weekdays.

Rivershot and Floyd’s were nice, but a little slow with the new stuff on top. RedCoats roped off Elevator, I guess they don’t want anyone thinking it is covered and going down it. The bottom of Rivershot can get a little ragged, but it was perfect today. Trail intersection at the top of Floyd’s bottom of Solitude was a little bumpy.

Demattes was a little rough, and they had Exhibition closed, blowing snow to fill in the left side. Hard to build up a nice rhythm with the head walls on East Mountain, so I spent most of the morning on challenge. Challenge was pretty quiet since most people stayed on East Mountain or skied the West area of the mountain. One Park looked ok. Had to skate from E Mtn to reach TBolt, so only did that a couple of times. Challenge glade too thin. Patch on my bases held up pretty well, have to see how it holds up on ice.

25°, a little wind, cloudy and flurries to start off with but then it cleared up being partly sunny. Drove up to Frost listening to the dumpster fire moving back down to Florida, and drove back home listening to the new president.

e72c8f64f3c0b1e9d36a4cb669973892.jpg13a64fac96e74fa765387438d54a8816.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I don't think the problem really is with Blue's mountain ops guys, it's with not wanting to spend the $ on quality conditions.

But it gets the place open quickly, I guess. Think about how spoiled we would be if every day was a perfect groomer carpet and and there were never death cookies and skeet spots? As they say, you have to live through the rain to see the rainbow to appreciate what you have.

Just kidding. A perfectly groomed carpet every day would be wonderful. I'd take the JFBB ops team any day if they could replicate that at Blue. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

But it gets the place open quickly, I guess. Think about how spoiled we would be if every day was a perfect groomer carpet and and there were never death cookies and skeet spots? As they say, you have to live through the rain to see the rainbow to appreciate what you have.

Just kidding. A perfectly groomed carpet every day would be wonderful. I'd take the JFBB ops team any day if they could replicate that at Blue. 

Yes, can't fault Blue for the speed at which they get the place open and we all enjoy all the trails.

However, it would be nice if, after they're fully open, to put just a tad bit extra into the snow conditions, which I don't think would cut into the budget all that much.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

They should bring back 4pm grooming to give better conditions for the night folks. Also maybe groom a little slower and more passes and yeah that all costs more johnny cash. 

Frost closes at 4. Take it to the Blue thread. 🙂

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Is the difference at Blue from grooming too fast, or is it an issue from the snow not being allowed to sit and dry out before it's pushed out? 

I noticed at Blue recently on NMDW and earlier on Sidewinder, they blew snow, leveled out the snow gun whales into a jumbled mess, let it sit through several freeze thaw cycles blowing more snow before grooming it out. At Frost they seem to leave the whales until they are done blowing snow, and then groom it out completely in one day (or night).
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Gave a few looks over the edge. It looked awfully slick. I passed.

Don't drop in off the snowmaking mound on Rivershot. If you're "looking over the edge" you shouldn't drop in. You want to start skiers right in the flatter area above the headwall on Rivershot. You ski with the ice cliff on your left. The pitch is still fairly steep and there's a small ledge to drop over the steepest bit, but it holds snow much better.

People do occasionally send it off of RIvershot but they either just got done making a ton of snow that has bound well and not slid off, a massive dump of fresh snow, or they're just insane. I have witnessed all three.

Edited by EdBacon
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

Don't drop in off the snowmaking mound on Rivershot. If you're "looking over the edge" you shouldn't drop in. You want to start skiers right in the flatter area above the headwall on Rivershot. You ski with the ice cliff on your left. The pitch is still fairly steep and there's a small ledge to drop over the steepest bit, but it holds snow much better.

People do occasionally send it off of RIvershot but they either just got done making a ton of snow that has bound well and not slid off, a massive dump of fresh snow, or they're just insane. I have witnessed all three.

Thanks for the info. Saw people doing the "over the edge" and emerging unscathed today. No fresh snow but a solid base.

Just now, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Thanks for the info. Saw people doing the "over the edge" and emerging unscathed today. No fresh snow but a solid base.

Give it a freeze/thaw cycle or two. It turns bulletproof and given the pitch anything fresh ends up sliding off. 

• Sad 1

Aka... the baller route, as coined by@phillycore
  • Like 3